Micro Rubber Structures for Passive Walking
Koichi Suzumori and Fumitaka Saito
Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University, 3-1-1 Tsushima-naka, Kita-ku, Okayama, 700-8530, Japan
The final goal of this work is the development of functional rubber sheets with micro rubber structures such as friction free, adhesion, and impact adsorption rubbers, etc. We report a micro rubber structure that can successfully perform flexible passive walking with 3 V-shaped units consisting of 4 legs to achieve very low friction. We show how to miniaturize and integrate this structure to produce, by means of a micro rubber molding process using the stereo lithography method, a rubber sheet with 64 legs. The prototype is designed, fabricated, and tested. Under certain conditions, the 64-legged rubber sheet successfully realizes flexible passive walking down an incline.
-  P. Forbes, “The Gecko’s Foot – Bio-inspiration: Engineered from Nature –,” HarperCollins Publishers Ltd., 2005.
-  T. Shimozawa and T. Hariyama, “Insect Mimetics,” NTS, pp. 372-381, 2008.
-  K. Takahashi, J. O. L. Berengueres, K. J. Obata, and S. Saito, “Geckos’ Foot Hair Structure and Their Ability to Hang from Rough Surfaces and Move Quickly,” Int. J. of Adhesion & Adhesives, Vol.26, 2006, pp. 639-643.
-  M. Lanzetta and M. R. Cutkosky, “Shape Deposition Manufacturing of Biologically Inspired Hierarchical Microstructures,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 2008.
-  D. Santos, S. Kim, M. Spenko, A. Parness, and M. Cutkosky, “Directional Adhesive Structures for Controlled Climbing on Smooth Vertical Surfaces,” 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1262-1267, April 2007.
-  S. Kim, M. Spenko, S. Trujillo, B. H. V. Mattoli, and M. R. Cutkosky, “Whole Body Adhesion: Hierarchical, Directional and Distributed Control of Adhesive Forces for a Climbing Robot,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1268-1273, April 2007.
-  M. Schargott, V. L. Popov, and S. Gor, “Spring Model of Biological Attachment Pads,” J. of Theoretical Biology Vol.243 pp. 48-53 2006.
-  K. Suzumori and F. Saito, “Micro Rubber Structures for Passive Walking,” Proc. of the 2008 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, Nagano, 1P1-B01.
-  K. Suzumori and F. Saito, “Micro Rubber Structure Realizing Multi-Legged Passive Walking,” 2008 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Nice, France, September 22-26, 2008.
-  T. McGeer, “Passive Dynamic Walking,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 62-82, 1990.
-  Y. Ikemata, A. Sano, and H. Fujimoto, “A Stability Mechanism of the Fixed Point in Passive Walking,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.7, pp. 73-80.
-  F. Asano and Z. E. Luo, “Underactuated Virtual Passive Dynamic Walking using Rolling Effect of Semicircular Feet –(I) On Driving Mechanisms of Compass-like Models–,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 578-588, 2007.
-  K. Osuka, “Passive Dynamic Walking as Base of Walking Mechanics,” The Institute of Systems, Control and Information Engineers, Vol.49, No.10.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.