High-Performance Active Camera Head Control Using PaLM-Tree
Takayuki Nakamura, Yoshio Sakata, Toshikazu Wada,
and Haiyuan Wu
Department of Computer and Communication Sciences Wakayama University 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
In this paper, we propose a method for controlling an active camera in tracking a moving target highly accurately using PaLM-tree, an easy-to-use function approximator we developed. Our feedback error learning controller enhanced by PaLM-tree improves accuracy in tracking a moving target. PaLM-tree correctly learns the inverse model in the feedback error learning. Despite unknown mechanical friction and relatively large closed-loop control latency, our active camera head can successfully track eye movement using the feedback error learning controller. Through experimental results, we confirmed that our method achieved better performance control than a tuned feedback controller.
-  H. Oike, H. Wu, T. Kato, and T. Wada, “A High-Performance Active Camera System for taking Clear Images,” IPSJ SIG Technical Reports, IPSJ-CVIM04144010, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  P. I. Corke and M. C. Good, “Dynamic effects in visual closed-loop systems,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 671-683, 1996.
-  M. Kawato, K. Furukawa, and R. Suzuki, “A hierarchical neural-network model for control and learning of voluntary movement,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.57, pp. 169-185, 1987.
-  R.S. Sutton and A.G. Barto, “Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction,” MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1998.
-  T. Nakamura, E. Kato, and T. Wada, “A Novel NonLinear Mapping Algorithm (PaLM-Tree),” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 732-742, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nakamura, Y. Sakata, T. Wada, and H. Wu, “High Performance Control of Active Camera Head Using PaLM-Tree,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp. 963-968, 2005.
-  T. Wada, N. Ukita, and T. Matsuyama, “Fixed-viewpoint Pan-Tilt-Zoom Camera and its Application,” Trans. of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, D-II, Vol.J81-D-II, No.6, pp. 1182-1193, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  D. Comaniciu, V. Ramesh, and P. Meer, “Kernel-based object tracking,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 564-575, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.