Intelligent Ambience that can Influence Robot Behavior
Shinichi Tsunoo*,**, Takeshi Sakaguchi**, Kazuhito Yokoi**, and Kazuyoshi Wada*
*Graduate School of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University
6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
**National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
AIST Central 2, 1-1-1 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
In order for robots to execute several tasks at the office or at home, they need enormous amounts of information. If we put a small amount of intelligence into each item that is part of the ambience, the ambience itself can simply cause the robots to change their state as it requests. We call such an ambience “Intelligent Ambience (IA).” In this paper, a design of IA is described. We have constructed an example of an IA and verified its effectiveness through experimentation.
-  K. Tanie and N. Matsuhira, “Common platform Technology for next-generation robots : development of platforms based on information structured environment,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 501-504, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  M. Mizukawa, T. Yamaguchi, and E. Sato, “Functional Design of Information Space for Interaction between Human and Artificial Intelligence,” 8th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf. (SI2007), pp. 871-872, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sato, T. Harada, and T. Mori, “Environment-Type Robot System Robotic Room Featured by Behavior Media Behavior Contents and Behavior Adaptation,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 529-534, 2004.
-  J.-H. Lee and H. Hashimoto, “Intelligent Space - concept and contents,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 265-280, 2002.
-  T. Hasegawa, K. Murakami, R. Kurazume, Y. Senta, Y. Kimuro, and T. Ienaga, “Robot Town Project: Sensory Data Management and Interaction with Robot of Intelligent Environment for Daily Life,” Proc. 2007 Int. Conf. on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence, 2007.
-  K. Kodaka, H. Niwa, and S. Sugano, “Dynamic Pose Estimation of a Robot using RFID Arrangement Information,” 9th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf., pp. 86-87, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  D. Kurabayashi, H. Asama, H. Kaetsu, I. Endo, and T. Arai, “Knowledge acquisition and sharing among autonomous robots by intelligent data carriers,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 105-122, 2002.
-  M. Shibata, A. Gofuku, and H. Nishina, “Development of an intelligent mark and its recognition system to obtain the information of a working space for service robots,” 2006 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (ROBOMEC2006), pp. 2P1-E20, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  H. Sato, H. Tasaka, K. Nagatani, and A. Gofuku, “Environmental Recognition and Objects Manipulation for Mobile Manipulators Using Optical Communication Marsk,” The 22-th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2P2-L1-33, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  H. Sato, H. Tasaka, K. Nagatani, and A. Gofuku, “Grasp Motion for Mobile Manipulator Based on Intelligent Mark System - Grasping Strategy and Implementation with IMS -,” The 21-th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 3K-31, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  J. Ota, R. Katsuki, and T. Arai, “Object Manipulation of a Robot by Utilizing QR Code,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 678-682, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  R. A. Brooks, “Intelligence without representation,” Artificial Intelligence. 47, pp. 139-159, 1987.
-  P. Maes, “The dynamics of action selection,” Proc. IJCAI-89, pp. 991-997, 1989.
-  P. Maes, “Situated Agents Can Have Goals,” J. for Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.6, No.1, 1990.
-  R. Pfifer and C. Scheier, “Sensory-motor coordination: the meta-phor and beyond,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 20, pp. 157-178, 1997.
-  C. Scheier and R. Pfeifer, “Classification as Sensorymotor Coordination,” Proc. European Conf. on Artficial Life, pp. 656-667, 1995.
-  T. Kondo, A. Ishiguro, and Y. Uchikawa, “An Emergent Approach to Construct Behavior Arbitration Mechanism for Autonomous Mobile Robot,” Trans. SICE, Vol.33, No.1, pp. 1-9, 1997.
-  A. Ishiguro, Y. Watanabe, T. Kondo, and Y. Uchikawa, “Decentralized Consensus-Making Mechanisms Based on Immune System. Application to a Behavior Arbitration of an Autonomous Mobile Robot,” Proc. Int. Conf. Evolutionary Computation, pp. 82-87, 1996.
-  T. Ujiie, T. Sakaguchi, K. Yokoi, K. Wada, T. Sugawara, and K. Ohba, “A Robot Control Method Integrating ‘Kukanchi’ - Door Closing Task Experiments with Mobile Manipulator -,” 2008 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics (ROBOMEC2008), No.08-4, 2P1-H04, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsunoo, T. Sakaguchi, K. Yokoi, and K. Wada, “Intelligent Ambience that can lead robot action -Concept-,” 8th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf. (SI2007), pp. 123-124, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsunoo, T. Sakaguchi, K. Yokoi, and K. Wada, “Intelligent Ambience that can lead robot action - A system design concept -,” The 26-th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2N1-06, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.roboken.esys.tsukuba.ac.jp/english/Yamabico/robot/
-  K. Kaneko, F. Kanehiro, S. Kajita, H. Hirukawa, T. Kawasaki, M. Hirata, K.Akachi, and T. Isozumi, “Humanoid Robot HRP-2,” Proc. 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2004), pp. 1083-1090, 2004.
-  S. Tsunoo, T. Sakaguchi, K. Yokoi, and K. Wada, “Intelligent Ambience that can lead robot action - Experimental verification -,” Proc. 9th SICE System Integration Division Annual Conf. (SI2008), pp. 93-94, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsunoo, T. Sakaguchi, K. Yokoi, and K. Wada, “Intelligent Ambience that can lead robot action - Development of a device for Intelligent Ambience and its experimental evaluation -,” Proc. 2009 JSME Conf. Robotics and Mechatronics, 2A1-G22, 2009.
-  “Strategic Technology Roadmap 2009: Roadmap for Strategic Planning and Implementation of R&D Investment,” METI, Japan, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.