Perception-Assist with an Active Stereo Camera for an Upper-Limb Power-Assist Exoskeleton
Kazuo Kiguchi, Manoj Liyanage, and Yasunori Kose
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saga University, Saga, Japan
This paper presents perception assistance with an active camera for an upper-limb power-assist exoskeleton that assists user perception as well as user motion when the user interacts with the environment using sensors of the exoskeleton. The active stereo camera monitors user interaction with the environment, so the exoskeleton identifies objects that can be touched or grabbed by the user. Stereo camera positioning is controlled to continuously track the exoskeleton end-effector, ensuring that the user’s hand always lies within the camera viewfield. If any obstacle might block the camera viewfield, the camera is controlled to avoid the obstacle. The effectiveness of the proposed concept is evaluated in experiments.
-  K. Kiguchi, S. Kariya, K. Watanabe, K. Izumi, and T. Fukuda, “An exoskeletal robot for human elbow motion support - sensor fusion, adaptation, and control,'' IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 353-361, 2001.
-  K. Kiguchi, K. Iwami, M. Yasuda, K. Watanabe, and T. Fukuda, “An exoskeletal robot for human shoulder joint motion assist,'' IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 125-135, 2003.
-  K. Kiguchi, T. Tanakda, and T. Fukuda, “Neuro-fuzzy control of a robotic exoskeleton with EMG signals,'' IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 481-490, 2004.
-  K. Kiguchi, R. Esaki, and T. Fukuda, “Development of a wearable exoskeleton for daily forearm motion assist,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.19, No.7, pp. 751-771, 2005.
-  K. Kiguchi and Q. Quan, “Muscle-Model-Oriented EMG-Based Control of an Upper-Limb Power-Assist Exoskeleton with a Neuro-Fuzzy modifier,” Proc. of IEEE World Congress of Computational Intelligence, pp. 1179-1184, 2008.
-  J. Rosen, M. Brand, M. Fuchs, and M. Arcan, “A Myosignal-Based Powered Exoskeleton System,” IEEE Trans. on System Man and Cybernetics, Part A, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 210-222, 2001.
-  J.C. Perry and J. Rosen, “Upper-Limb Powered Exoskeleton Design,” IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 408-417, 2007.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Active Support Splint Driven by Pneumatic Soft Actuator (ASSIST),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 497-503, 2004.
-  K. Nagai and I. Nakanishi, “Force Analysis of Exoskeletal Robotic Orthoses for Judgment on Mechanical Safety and Possibility of Assistance,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 473-481, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiiba, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of All 7 Motions for the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 504-512, 2004.
-  L. Lucas, M. DiCicco, and Y. Matsuoka, “An EMG-Controlled Hand Exoskeleton for Natural Pinching,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, pp. 482-488, 2004.
-  T. Nef, M. Mihelj, G. Colombo, and R. Riener, “ARMin - Robot for rehabilitation of the Upper Extremities,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 3152-3157, 2006.
-  N.G. Tsagarkis and D.G. Caldwell, “Development and Control of a ‘Soft-Actuated’ Exoskeleton for Use in Physiotherapy and Training,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 21-33, 2003.
-  K. Kiguchi, Y. Imada, and M. Liyanage, “EMG-Based Neuro-Fuzzy Control of a 4DOF Upper-Limb Power-Assist Exoskeleton,” Proc. of 29th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 3040-3043, 2007.
-  K. Kiguchi and M. Liyanage, “A Study of a 4DOF Upper-Limb Power Assist Intelligent Exoskeleton with Visual Information for Perception-Assist,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3666-3671, 2008.
-  T. Flash and N. Hogan, “The Coordination of Arm Movements: An Experimental Confirmed Mathematical Model,” J. of Neuroscience, Vol.5, pp. 1688-1703, 1985.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.