A Study on Adaptive Arch Structure Applying Variable Geometry Truss (Mechanism of Movable Arch Roof with External Panel)
Technical Research Institute, Obayashi Corporation, 4-640 Shimokiyoto, Kiyose-shi, Tokyo 204-8558, Japan
This paper describes a movable arch roof with external panels as an actual design of an adaptive structure using a VGT (Variable Geometry Truss) mechanism comprising an elementary truss structure with extendable members. This movable arch structure comprises several VGT units jointed in series and pin jointed at each end. It is a stable structure because its edge is restrained, but this reduces its variety of shape change. Various arch shapes can be determined by using inverse analysis to solve the structure shape from the member lengths. An actual movable roof pavilion composed of such a movable arch and an external panel was designed, and the behaviors of a movable roof and the joint mechanism of the roof elements were verified by numerical simulation and a model experiment. As a result, the performance of the proposed movable roof structure was confirmed, and the basic technology and design approach were established.
-  K. Ishii, “Moving Architectures,” Journal of Architecture and Building Science, Vol.110, No.3, pp. 3-44, 1995.
-  M. C. Natori and K. Miura, “Development of truss concept in Space Technology,” Int. Symposium on Membrane Structure and Space Frame, pp. 45-56, 1994.
-  K. Kurita, F. Inoue, N. Furuya, T. Shiokawa, and M. C. Natori, “Development of Adaptive Roof Structure by Variable Geometry Truss,” Proc. of 18th Int., Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Poland, pp. 63-68, June 2001.
-  F. Inoue and K. Kurita et al., “Application of Adaptive Structure And Control by Variable Geometry Truss,” Proc. of The CIB 2003 Int. Conf. on Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, Australia, p. 59, May 2003.
-  F. Inoue, and R. Moroto et al, “Development of Adaptive Structure by Variable Geometry Truss (Application of Movable Monument in EXPO 2005),” Proc. of 23th Int., Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Japan, pp. 704-709, Nov. 2006.
-  F. Inoue, “A Study of Movable Arch Structure and Its External Panel Mechanism by Variable Geometry Truss,” Proc. of Int., Conf. on Shell and Spatial Structures IASS 2007, Italy, pp. 69-70, Dec. 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.