Target Identification Through Human Pointing Gesture Based on Human-Adaptive Approach
Yusuke Tamura, Masao Sugi, Tamio Arai, and Jun Ota
Research into Artifact, Center for Engineering (RACE), The University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa-shi, Chiba 277-8568, Japan
-  T. Sato, Y. Nishida, and H. Mizoguchi, “Robotic room: symbiosis with human through behavior media,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.18, pp. 185-194, 1996.
-  R. A. Brooks, “The intelligent room project,” Proc. of the 2nd Int. Cognitive Technology Conf., pp. 271-278, 1997.
-  M. Sugi, Y. Tamura, J. Ota, T. Arai, K. Takamasu, K. Kotani, H. Suzuki, and Y. Sato, “Attentive Workbench: an intelligent production cell supporting human workers,” 7th Int. Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems, pp. 441-450, 2004.
-  K. Oka, Y. Sato, and H. Koike, “Real-time fingertip tracking and gesture recognition,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 64-71, 2002.
-  B. A. Sawyer, “Magnetic positioning device,” US patent, 3,457,482, 1969.
-  K. Kotani, I. Hidaka, Y. Yamamoto, and S. Ozono, “Analysis of respiratory sinus arrhythmia with respect to respiratory phase,” Method of Information in Medicine, Vol.39, pp. 153-156, 2000.
-  R. A. Bolt, “ “Put-that-there”: voice and gesture at the graphics interface,” Proc. of the 7th Annual Conf. on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 262-270, 1980.
-  K. Tsukada and M. Yasumura, “Ubi-Finger: gesture input device for mobile use,” Proc. of the 5th Asia-Pacific Conf. on Computer-Human Interaction, Vol.1, pp. 388-400, 2002.
-  R. Cipolla and N. J. Hollinghurst, “Human-robot interface by pointing with uncalibrated stereo vision,” Image and Vision Computing, Vol.14, pp. 171-178, 1996.
-  S. Sato and S. Sakane, “A human-robot interface using an interactive hand pointer that projects a mark in the real work space,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 589-595, 2000.
-  R. E. Kahn, M. J. Swain, P. N. Prokopowicz, and R. J. Firby, “Gesture recognition using the perseus architecture,” Proc. of the 1996 IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 734-741, 1996.
-  M. S. Lee, D. Weinshall, E. Cohen-Solal, A. Colmenarez, and D. Lyons, “A computer vision system for on-screen item selection by finger pointing,” Proc. of the 2001 IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol.1, pp. 1026-1033, 2001.
-  M. Hild, M. Hashimoto, and K. Yoshida, “Object recognition via recognition of finger pointing actions,” Proc. of the 12th Int. Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing, pp. 88-93, 2003.
-  C. Colombo, A. D. Bimbo, and A. Valli, “Visual capture and understanding of hand pointing actions in a 3-D environment,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part B: Cybernetics, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 677-686, 2003.
-  M. Fukumoto, Y. Suenaga, and K. Mase, “ “Finger-pointer”: pointing interface by image processing,” Computers & Graphics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 633-642, 1994.
-  T. Mashita, Y. Iwai, and M. Yachida, “Detecting indicated object from head-mouted omnidirectional images by pointing gesture,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf., pp. 3230-3235, 2003.
-  B. A. Po, B. D. Fisher, and K. S. Booth, “Pointing and visual feedback for spatial interaction in large-screen display environments,” Proc. of the 3rd Int. Symposium on Smart Graphics 2003, pp. 22-38, 2003.
-  T. Miyasato and F. Kishino, “An Evaluation of Virtual Space Teleconferencing System Based on Detection of Objects Pointed through a Virtual Space,” The IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems, Vol.J80-D-II, No.5, pp. 1221-1230, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  T. Imai, D. Sekiguchi, N. Kawakami, and S. Tachi, “Measuring Accuracy of Nonverbal Information Perception of Humans: Measurement of Pointing Gesture Perception,” Transactions of the Virtual Reality Society of Japan, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 89-96, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  O. Sugiyama, T. Kanda, M. Imai, H. Ishiguro, and N. Hagita, “Three-layered draw-attention model for humanoid robots with gestures and verbal cues,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2140-2145, 2005.
-  E. Gumbel, J. Greenwood, and D. Durand, “The circular normal distribution: theory and tables,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol.48, No.261, pp. 131-152, 1953.
-  T. Kamada and S. Kawai, “An algorithm for drawing general undirected graphs,” Information Processing Letters, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 7-15, 1989.
-  T. M. Fruchterman and E. M. Reingold, “Graph drawing by forcedirected placement,” Software – Practice and Experience, Vol.21, pp. 1129-1161, 1991.
-  N. R. Quinn and M. A. Breuer, “A forced directed component placement procedure for printed circuit boards,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol.26, No.6, pp. 377-388, 1979.
-  D. Kirsh, “The intelligent use of space,” Artificial Intelligence, Vol.73, pp. 31-68, 1995.
-  P. Maglio and D. Kirsh, “Epistemic action increases with skill,” Proc. of the 18th Annual Conf. of the Cognitive Science Society, pp. 391-396, 1996.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.