Tetrahedral Mobile Robot with Spherical Omnidirectional Wheel
Kenjiro Tadakuma*, Riichiro Tadakuma**, and Jose Berengueres***
*Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
**ISRI/AIST-CNRS Joint Japanese-French Robotics Laboratory, Intelligent Systems Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST Tsukuba Central 2, Tsukuba 305-8568, Japan
***Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment, CERN, CERN 40 2-B28, CH-1211, Genève 23, Switzerland
-  T. Takayama and S. Hirose, “Development of “Soryu I & II” –Connected Crawler Vehicle for Inspection of Narrow and Winding Space–,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 61-69, Feb., 2003.
-  Koichi Osuka and Hiroshi Kitajima, “Development of Mobile Inspection Robot for Rescue Activities: MOIRA,” Proc. of the 2003IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Las Vegas, Nevada, October, 2003.
-  H. Tsukagoshi, M. Sasaki, A. Kitagawa, and T. Tanaka, “Design of a Higher Jumping Rescue Robot with the Optimized Pneumatic Drive,” Proc. of 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Barcelona, April 18-22, 2005.
-  S. A. Stoeter, Ian T. Burt, and N. Papanikolopoulos, “Scout Robot Motion Model,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, p. 90, Taipei, Taiwan, 2003.
-  http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=AvantGo&op=ReadStory&sid=728
-  http://voronoi.sbp.ri.cmu.edu/˜dmo/Ind%20Master.htm
-  http://www.foster-miller.com/lemming.htm
-  http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/mines/i_robot/
-  http://www.macroswiss.com/military/prodotti.html
-  K. Tadakuma, “Tetrahedral Mobile Robot with Novel Ball Shape Wheel,” The First IEEE/RAS-EMBS Int. Conf. on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob 2006), Parallel Session 6: “Animal-Inspired Model and Mechanisms,” Pisa-Italy February 20th 2006 ISBN1-4244-0040-6, Pisa-Italy, February 20th, 2006.
-  I. E. Paromtchik, H. Asama, T. Fujii, and L. Endo, “A control system for an omnidirectional mobile robot,” Proc. of 1999 IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications, Vol.2, pp. 1123-1128, Aug. 22-27, 1999.
-  A. Yamashita, H. Asama, H. Kaetsu, I. Endo, and T. Arai, “Development of OmniDirectional and Step-Climbing Mobile Robot,” Proc. of the 3rd Int. Conf. on Field and Service Robotics (FSR2001), pp. 327-332, Espoo (Finland), June, 2001.
-  “Low vibration omni-directional wheel,” Patent number: 6547340, Filing date: Dec 6, 2001, Issue date: Apr 15, 2003, Inventor: Donald Barnett Harris, Assignee: Airtrax Corporation, Primary Examiner: S. Joseph Morano, Secondary Examiner: Long Bao Nguyen, Attorney: Foley & Lardner
-  “Omni-directional munitions handling vehicle;” Patent number: 6668950, Filing date: May 9, 2002, Issue date: Dec 30, 2003, Inventor: Andrew D. Park, Primary Examiner: Kevin Hurley, Attorney: Schwartz Law Firm, P.C.
-  M. West and H. Asada, “Design and control of ball wheel omnidirectional vehicles,” Proc. of 1995 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1931-1938, May 21-27, 1995. Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/ROBOT.1995.525547
-  M. Wada and H. Asada, “A holonomic omnidirectional vehicle with a reconfigurable footprint mechanism and its application to wheelchairs,” Proc. of 1998 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 774-780, May 16-20, 1998. Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/ROBOT.1998.677071
-  M. Wada and H. H. Asada, “Design and control of a variable footprint mechanism for holonomic omnidirectional vehicles and its application to wheelchairs,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.15, Issue 6, pp. 978-989, Dec., 1999.
-  http://www.tosadenshi.co.jp/tsuhan/omni/uretanomni.html
-  D. K. Pai and R. A. Barman, “Constraint programming for Platonic Beast legged robots,” Proc. of 1996 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 3283-3288, April 22-28, 1996.
-  R. A. Barman and S. K. Ralph, “Platonic beasts: a new family of multilimbed robots,” Pai, .K.; Proc. of 1994 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1019-1025, May 8-13, 1994.
-  K. van den Doel and D. K. Pai, “Performance measures for constrained systems,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.13, Issue 2, pp. 278-289, April, 1997.
-  S. Curtis et al. “Tetrahedral Robotics for Space Exploration,” IEEE Aerospace Conf., pp. 1-9, March 3-10, 2007.
-  C. Sebens, “An agent-based tetrahedral walker,” IEEE Aerospace Conf., p. 7, March 4-11, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.