Safety Confirmation System Using Mat-Sensor and Power Line Communications for Elderly Person
Kanya Tanaka*, Kazuo Haruyama**, and Yo Yamada*
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Yamaguchi University, 2-16-1 Tokiwadai, Ube, Yamaguchi 755-8611, Japan
**Department of Electrical Engineering, Ube National College of Technology, 2-14-1 Tokiwadai, Ube, Yamaguchi 755-8555, Japan
This paper proposes a safety confirmation system consisting of a mat sensor and a power line communication device that can be installed in small-sized senior citizen welfare facilities without a nurse call and in ordinary households. The proposed system detects when a senior citizen attempts to get out of bed or leave a room, sending an alarm to the control room or a caregiver in another room. The power line communication enables such housing facilities to set up safety confirmation easily and inexpensively. The usefulness of this system has been verified by field examination in the senior citizen welfare facility.
-  The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “Annual Report on the Aging Society:2006,” 2006.
-  The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “General condition of investigation result such as social welfare facilities in 2005,” 2005.
-  The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “Law concerning promotion of maintenance in communal facilities etc. by use of the private capital etc.,” 1999.
-  J. O. D. Brooks, L. Friedman, D. L. Bliwise, and J. A. Yesavage, “Use of the Wrist Actigraph to Study Insomnia in Older Adults,” Sleep, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 151-155, 1993.
-  B. D. Evans and A. E. Rogers, “24-hour Sleep/wake Patterns in Healthy Persons,” Appl. Nursing Res., Vol.7, No.2, pp. 75-83, 1994.
-  G. Kochersberger, E.McConnell, M. N. Kuchibhatla, and C. Pieper, “The Reliability, Validity, and Stability of a Measure of Physical Activity in the Elderly,” Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Vol.77, No.8, pp. 793-795, 1996.
-  S. Tanaka, K. Yamakoshi, and P. Rolfe, “New Portable Instrument for Long-term Ambulatory Monitoring of Posture Change Using Miniature Electro-magnetic Inclino Meters,” Med. & Biological Engineering & Computing, Vol.32, pp. 357-360, 1994.
-  Air water disaster prevention, “Nursing.”
http://www.awb.co.jp/promedi/pro medi 19.html
-  Kinden, “Milcon.”
-  Hitachi engineering and service, “AI Mat.”
-  Society of foundation health welfare announcing to public, “Version welfare equipment catalog in fiscal year 2004 and the 31th Int. welfare equipment exhibition,” latest welfare equipment catalog collection, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.