Rehabilitation Walker with Standing-Assistance Device
Daisuke Chugo, Wataru Matsuoka, Songmin Jia,
and Kunikatsu Takase
Graduate School of Information Systems, The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
-  Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan, “Current Population Estimates as of October 1, 2004,” 2004,
(Available at March 2007).
-  Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan, “Annual Reports on Health and Welfare 2001 Social Security and National Life,” 2001,
(Available at March 2007).
-  N. B. Alexander, A. B. Schultz, and D. N. Warwick, “Rising From a Chair: Effects of Age and Functional Ability on Performance Biomechanics,” J. of Geometry: MEDICAL SCIENCES, Vol.46, No.3, pp. M91-98, 1991.
-  M. A. Hughes and M. L. Schenkman, “Chair rise strategy in the functionally impaired elderly,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.33, No.4, pp. 409-412, 1996.
-  M. Hirvensalo, T. Rantanen, and E. Heikkinen, “Mobility difficulties and physical activity as predictors of morality and loss of independence in the community-living older population,” J. of the American Geriatric Society, Vol.48, pp. 493-498, 2000.
-  K. Nagai, I. Nakanishi, and H. Hanabusa, “Assistance of selftransfer of patients using a power-assisting device,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4008-4015, 2003.
-  A. Funakubo, H. Tanishiro, and Y. Fukui, “Power Assist System for Transfer Aid,” J. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.40, No.5, pp. 391-395, 2001.
-  D. Chugo, E. Okada, K. Kawabata, H. Kaetsu, H. Asama, N. Miyake, and K. Kosuge, “Force Assistance Control for Standing-Up Motion,” Proc. of IEEE/RAS-EMBS Int. Conf. on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, F132, 2006.
-  S. Okada, K. Hirakawa, Y. Takada, and H. Kinoshita, “Relationship between fear of falling and balancing ability during abrupt deceleration in aged women having similar habitual physical activities,” European J. of applied physiology, Vol.85, No.6, pp. 501-506, 2001.
-  T. Sugihara, K. Kawabata, H. Kaetsu, H. Asama, K. Kosuge, and T. Mishima, “Development of a Reasonable Force Sensor for a Standing-up and Sitting Motion Support System,” Proc. of Robotics and Mechatronics Conf. 2004, 1P1-H-11, 2004.
-  K. Kamiya, “Development and evaluation of life support technology in nursing,” Proc. of 7th RACE Symp., Research into Intelligent Artifacts for the Generalization of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, pp. 116-121, 2005.
-  S. Nuzik, R. Lamb, A. Vansant, and S. Hirt, “Sit-to-Stand Movement Pattern, A kinematic Study,” Physical Therapy, Vol.66, No.11, pp. 1708-1713, 1986.
-  N. M. Fisher, D. R. Pendergast, and E. C. Calkins, “Maximal Isometric Torque of Knee Extension as a Function of Muscle Length in Subjects of Advancing Age,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., Vol.71, No.10, pp. 729-734, 1990.
-  Digital Human Research Center, AIST, “Human Body Properties Database,”
(Available at March 2006).
-  K. Omori, Y. Yamazaki, H. Yokoyama, U. Aoki, M. Kasahara, and K. Hiraki, “The relationship between strength in the lower extremity and the ability to stand up from a chair in elderly inpatients,” Sogo Rehabilitation, Vol.30, No.2, pp. 167-171, 2001.
-  M. Schenkman, R. A. Berger, P. O. Riley, R. W. Mann, and W. A. Hodge, “Whole-Body Movements During Rising to Standing from Sitting,” Physical Therapy, Vol.70, No.10, pp. 638-648, 1990.
-  K. Takeda, Y. Kanemitsu, and Y Futoyu, “Understanding the problem of the Elderly through a Simulation Experience –Difference in the Effect between Before and After Clinical Practice–,” Kawasaki Medical Welfare J., Vol.11, No.1, pp. 65-73, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.