Grand Espoir: Robotics in Regenerative Medicine
Masayuki Yamato*, Ryo Takagi*, Makoto Kondo**,
Daisuke Murakami**, Takeshi Ohki*,***, Hidekazu Sekine*,
Tatsuya Shimizu*, Jun Kobayashi*, Yoshikatsu Akiyama*,
Hideo Namiki**, Masakazu Yamamoto***, and Teruo Okano*
*Institute of Advanced Biomedical Engineering and Science, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan, 8-1 Kawada-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8666, Japan
**Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
***Department of Surgery, Institute of Gastroenterology, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
-  K. Ohashi, F. Park, and M. A. Kay, “Hepatocyte transplantation: clinical and experimental application,” J. Mol. Med., Vol.79(11), pp. 617-630, 2001.
-  R. Drucker-Colin and L. Verdugo-Diaz, “Cell transplantation for Parkinson’s disease: present status,” Cell Mol. Neurobiol, Vol.24(3), pp. 301-316, 2004.
-  D. Orlic et al., “Bone marrow cells regenerate infarcted myocardium,” Nature, Vol.410(6829), pp. 701-705, 2001.
-  K. Lunde et al., “Intracoronary injection of mononuclear bone marrow cells in acute myocardial infarction,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.355(12) pp. 1199-1209, 2006.
-  V. Schachinger et al., “Intracoronary bone marrow-derived progenitor cells in acute myocardial infarction,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.355(12), pp. 1210-1221, 2006.
-  B. Assmus et al., “Transcoronary transplantation of progenitor cells after myocardial infarction,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.355(12), pp. 1222-1232, 2006.
-  T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, Y. Isoi, T. Akutsu, T. Setomaru, K. Abe, A. Kikuchi, M. Umezu, and T. Okano, “Fabrication of pulsatile cardiac tissue grafts using a novel 3-dimensional cell sheet manipulation technique and temperature-responsive cell culture surfaces,” Circ. Res., Vol.90(3), e40, 2002.
-  J. P. Vacanti, “Beyond transplantation,” Third annual Samuel Jason Mixter lecture, Arch. Surg., Vol.123(5), pp. 545-549, 1988.
-  J. P. Vacanti, M. A. Morse, W. M. Saltzman, A. J. Domb, A. Perez-Atayde, and R. Langer, “Selective cell transplantation using bioabsorbable artificial polymers as matrices,” J. Pediatr. Surg., Vol.23(1 Pt 2), pp. 3-9, 1988.
-  J. F. Hansbrough, D. W. Mozingo, G. P. Kealey, M. Davis, A. Gidner, and G. D. Gentzkow, “Clinical trials of a biosynthetic temporary skin replacement, Dermagraft-Transitional Covering, compared with cryopreserved human cadaver skin for temporary coverage of excised burn wounds,” J. Burn. Care. Rehabil., Vol.18(1 Pt 1), pp. 43-51, 1997.
-  T. Shin’oka, Y. Imai, and Y. Ikada, “Transplantation of a tissueengineered pulmonary artery,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.344, pp. 532-533, 2001.
-  A. Atala, S. B. Bauer S. Soker, J. J. Yoo, and A. B. Retik, “Tissueengineered autologous bladders for patients needing cystoplasty,” Lancet, Vol.367(9518), pp. 1241-1246, 2006.
-  Y. Cao, J. P. Vacanti, K. T. Paige, J. Upton, and C. A. Vacanti, “Transplantation of chondrocytes utilizing a polymer-cell construct to produce tissue-engineered cartilage in the shape of a human ear,” Plast. Reconstr. Surg., Vol.100(2), pp. 297-302, 1997.
-  W. H. Eaglstein, and V. Falanga, “Tissue engineering and the development of Apligraf, a human skin equivalent,” Clin. Ther., Vol.19(5), pp. 894-905, 1997.
-  G. Pellegrini, R. Ranno, G. Stracuzzi, S. Bondanza, L. Guerra, G. Zambruno, G. Micali, and M. De Luca, “The control of epidermal stem cells (holoclones) in the treatment of massive fullthickness burns with autologous keratinocytes cultured on fibrin,” Transplantation, Vol.68(6), pp. 868-879, 1999.
-  P. Rama, S. Bonini, A. Lambiase, O. Golisano, P. Paterna, M. De Luca, and G. Pellegrini, “Autologous fibrin-cultured limbal stem cells permanently restore the corneal surface of patients with total limbal stem cell deficiency,” Transplantation, Vol.72(9), pp. 1478-1485, 2001.
-  T. Nakamura, N. Koizumi, M. Tsuzuki, K. Inoki, Y. Sano, C. Sotozono, and S. Kinoshita, “Successful regrafting of cultivated corneal epithelium using amniotic membrane as a carrier in severe ocular surface disease,” Cornea, Vol.22(1), pp. 70-71, 2003.
-  I. R. Schwab, “Cultured corneal epithelia for ocular surface disease,” Trans. Am. Ophthalmol. Soc., Vol.97, pp. 891-986, 1999.
-  C. A. Vacanti, L. J. Bonassar, M. P. Vacanti, and J. Shufflebarger, “Replacement of an avulsed phalanx with tissue-engineered bone,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.344(20), pp. 1511-1514, 2001.
-  G. G. Gallico 3rd, N. E. O’Connor, C. C. Compton, O. Kehinde, and H. Green, “Permanent coverage of large burn wounds with autologous cultured human epithelium,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.311(7), pp. 448-451, 1984.
-  J. G. Rheinwald and H. Green, “Serial cultivation of strains of human epidermal keratinocytes: the formation of keratinizing colonies from single cells,” Cell, Vol.6(3), pp. 331-343, 1975.
-  H. Green, O. Kehinde, and J. Thomas, “Growth of cultured human epidermal cells into multiple epithelia suitable for grafting,” Proc. of Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., Vol.76(11), pp. 5665-5668, 1979.
-  G. G. Gallico 3rd, N. E. O’Connor, C. C. Compton, J. P. Remensnyder, O. Kehinde, and H. Green, “Cultured epithelial autografts for giant congenital nevi,” Plast. Reconstr. Surg., Vol.84(1), pp. 1-9 1989.
-  C. M. Counter, W. Press, and C. C. Compton, “Telomere shortening in cultured autografts of patients with burns,” Lancet, Vol.361(9366), pp. 1345-1346, 2003.
-  G. Romagnoli, M. De Luca, F. Faranda, R. Bandelloni, A. Franzi, F. Cataliotti, and R. Cancedda, “Treatment of posterior hypospadias by the autologous graft of cultured urethral epithelium,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.323, pp. 527-530, 1990.
-  G. Pellegrini, C. E. Traverso, A. T. Franzi, M. Zingirian, R. Cancedda, and M. De Luca, “Long-term restoration of damaged corneal surfaces with autologous cultivated corneal epithelium,” Lancet, Vol.349(9057), pp. 990-993, 1997.
-  K. Nishida et al., “Corneal reconstruction with tissue-engineered cell sheets composed of autologous oral mucosal epithelium,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.351(12), pp. 1187-1196, 2004.
-  F.Mavilio et al., “Correction of junctional epidermolysis bullosa by transplantation of genetically modified epidermal stem cells,” Nat. Med., Vol.12(12), pp. 1397-1402, 2006.
-  J. Yang, M. Yamato, and T. Okano, “Cell-sheet engineering using intelligent surfaces,” MRS Bulletin, Vol.30, pp. 189-193, 2005.
-  T. Shimizu, M. Yamato, A. Kikuchi, and T. Okano, “Cell sheet engineering for myocardial tissue reconstruction,” Biomaterials, Vol.24(13), pp. 2309-2316, 2003.
-  T. Shimizu, H. Sekine, J. Yang, Y. Isoi, M. Yamato, A. Kikuchi, E. Kobayashi, and T. Okano, “Polysurgery of cell sheet grafts overcomes diffusion limits to produce thick, vascularized myocardial tissues,” Faseb. J., 2006.
-  V. Falk, T. Walther, R. Autschbach, A. Diegeler, R. Battellini, a nd F. W. Mohr, “Robot-assisted minimally invasive solo mitral valve operation,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., Vol.115(2), pp. 470-471, 1998.
-  V. Falk, R. Autschbach, R. Krakor, T. Walther, A. Diegeler, J. F. Onnasch, W. R. Chitwood Jr., and F. W. Mohr, “Computer-enhanced mitral valve surgery: toward a total endoscopic procedure,” Semin. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., Vol.11(3), pp. 244-249, 1999.
-  H. Reichenspurner, R. J. Damiano, M. Mack, D. H. Boehm, H. Gulbins, C. Detter, B. Meiser, R. Ellgass, and B. Reichart, “Use of the voice-controlled and computer-assisted surgical system ZEUS for endoscopic coronary artery bypass grafting,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., Vol.118(1), pp. 11-16, 1999.
-  A. Carpentier, D. Loulmet, B. Aupecle, A. Berrebi, and J. Relland, “Computer-assisted cardiac surgery,” Lancet, Vol.353(9150), pp. 379-380, 1999.
-  D. Loulmet, A. Carpentier, N. d’Attellis, A. Berrebi, C. Cardon, O. Ponzio, B. Aupecle, and J. Y. Relland, “Endoscopic coronary artery bypass grafting with the aid of robotic assisted instruments,” J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., Vol.118(1), pp. 4-10, 1999.
-  V. Falk, A. Diegeler, T. Walther, J. Banusch, J. Brucerius, J. Raumans, R. Autschbach, and F. W. Mohr, “Total endoscopic computer enhanced coronary artery bypass grafting,” Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg., Vol.17(1), pp. 38-45, 2000.
-  T. Ohki, M. Yamato, D. Murakami, R. Takagi, J. Yang, H. Namiki, T. Okano, and K. Takasaki, “Treatment of oesophageal ulcerations using endoscopic transplantation of tissue engineered autologous oral mucosal epithelial cell sheets in a canine model,” Gut, 2006.
-  T. Sumide et al., “Functional human corneal endothelial cell sheets harvested from temperature-responsive culture surfaces,” Faseb. J., Vol.20(2), pp. 392-394, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.