Control of Smooth Biped Walking by Means of Heel-Off Motion
Masahiro Doi*, Yasuhisa Hasegawa**, and Toshio Fukuda*
*Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8673, Japan
**Department of Intelligent Interaction Technologies, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
We propose the control method of biped walking controlled by heel liftoff that eliminates impact when the foot contacts the walking surface that makes walking unstable. In presenting sagittal motion with heel liftoff, we use an approximate 1-mass model and derive dynamics based on this model. Sagittal motion involves two centers of rotation: the ankle joint (phase 1) and the toe (phase 2). In phase 2, heel leftoff lowers the impact when the foot contacts the walking surface. 1D autonomous dynamics (phase) around the contact point is derived by applying Passive Dynamic Autonomous Control, which we proposed previously [15, 16] to dynamics in both phases. Based on this dynamics, we propose simple stabilizing control by varying the Center of Gravity (COG) trajectory in heel-off phase is proposed, and the motion period of the sagittal motion that is employed in order to synchronize the lateral and sagittal motion is calculated. Numerical simulation confirmed that walking dynamics converges at a certain state, and that heel liftoff reduced impact when the foot contacted the walking surface. We studied the energy efficiency of heel-off walking and proposed the mechanics to improve energy efficiency.
-  A. Goswami, B. Espiau, and A. Keramane, “Limit cycles in a passive compass gait biped and passivity-mimicking control laws,” Autonomous Robots 4, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 274-286, 1997.
-  K. Nishiwaki, S. Kagami, Y. Kuniyoshi, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Online Generation of Humanoid Walking Motion based on a Fast Generation Method of Motion Pattern that Follows Desired ZMP,” The proceeding of the Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2684-2689, 2002.
-  H. Miura and I. Shimoyama, “Dynamic Walking of a biped,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 60-74, 1984.
-  J. W. Grizzle, G. Abba, and F. Plestan, “Asymptotically Stable Walking for Biped Robots: Analysis via Systems with Impulse Effects,” IEEE Transaction on Automatic Control, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 56-64, 2001.
-  S. Kajita, T. Yamaura, and A. Kobayashi, “Dynamic walking control of a biped robot along a potential conserving orbit,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics Automation, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 431-438, 1992.
-  E. R. Westervelt, G. Buche, and J. W. Grizzle, “Inducing Dynamically Stable Walking in an Underactuated Prototype Planar Biped,” The proceeding of Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 4234-4239, 2004.
-  E. R. Westervelt, G. Buche, and J. W. Grizzle, “Experimental Validation of a Framework for the Design of Controllers that Induce Stable Walking in Planar Bipeds,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.6, pp. 559-582, 2004.
-  K. Hirai, M. Hirose, Y. Haikawa, and T. Takenaka, “The Development of Honda Humanoid Robot,” The proceeding of Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, pp. 1321-1326, 1998.
-  A. Takanishi, M. Ishida, Y. Yamazaki, and I. Kato, “The Realization of Dynamic Walking Robot WL-10RD,” The proceeding of Int. Conf. Advanced Robotics, pp. 459-466, 1985.
-  M. Vukobratovic, B. Brovac, D. Surla, and D. Stokic, “Biped Locomotion: dynamics, stability, control, and application,” Springer-Verlag, 1990.
-  C. Chevallereau, “Time-Scaling Control for an Underactuated Biped Robot,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics Automation, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 362-368, 2003.
-  K. Ono, T. Furuichi, and R. Takahashi, “Self-Excited Walking of a Biped Mechanism With Feet,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 55-68, 2004.
-  J. Furusho and A. Sano, “Sensor-based Control of a Nine-Link Biped,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 83-98, 1990.
-  Y. Ehara and S. Yamamoto, “Analysis of Gait and Gait Initiation,” Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., 2002 (in Japanese).
-  M. Doi, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Passive Dynamic Autonomous Control of Bipedal Walking,” The proceeding of IEEERAS/RSJ Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots 2004, Paper No.72.
-  M. Doi, T. Matsuno, Y. Hasegawa, and T. Fukuda, “Control of the Lateral Motion in Biped Walking Based on the Assumption of Point-contact,” JSME Journal Series C, 72-718, pp. 1832-1839, 2006 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.