3D Manipulation of Lipid Nanotubes with Functional Gel Microbeads
Fumihito Arai*, Toshiaki Endo**, Ryuji Yamauchi**,
Toshio Fukuda**, Toshimi Shimizu***,
and Shoko Kamiya***
*Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki-Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Department of Micro-Nano Systems Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
***Nanoarchitectonics Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba Central 5, 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8565, Japan
-  Y. Xia and G. M. Whitesides, “Soft Lithography,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 37, pp. 550-575, 1998.
-  J. M. K. Ng, I. Gitlin, A. D. Stroock, and G. M. Whitesides, “Components for integrated poly(dimethylsiloxane) microfluidic systems,” Electrophoresis, 23, pp. 3461-3473, 2002.
-  F. Arai, C. Ng, H. Maruyama, A. Ichikawa, H. El-Shimy, and T. Fukuda, “On Chip Single-Cell Separation and Immobilization Using Optical Tweezers and Thermo Sensitive Hydrogel,” Lab on a chip, 5-12, pp. 1399-1403, 2005.
-  A. Ashkin, “Acceleration and trapping of particles by radiation pressure,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 24, pp. 156-159, 1970.
-  A. Ashkin and J. M. Dziedzic, “Optical Trapping and Manipulation of Viruses and Bacteria,” Science, 235, pp. 1517-1520, 1987.
-  A. Ashkin, “Forces of a single-beam gradient laser trap on a dielectric sphere in the ray optics regime,” Biophys. J., 61, pp. 569-582, 1992.
-  K. Sasaki, M. Koshioka, H. Misawa, H. Kitamura, and H. Masuhara, “Pattern formation and Flow control of fine particles by laser-scanning micromanipulation,” Opt. Lett., 16, pp. 1463-1465, 1991.
-  J. E. Curtis, B. A. Koss, and D. G. Grier, “Dynamic holographic optical tweezers,” Optics Communications, 207, 1-6, pp. 169-175, 2002.
-  D. G. Grier, “A revolution in optical manipulation,” Nature, 424, pp. 810-816, 2003.
-  P. J. Rodrigo, V. R. Daria, and J. Glucksted, “Real-time threedimensional optical micromanipulation of multiple particles and living cells,” Opt. Lett., 29-19, pp. 2270-2272, 2004.
-  F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Sakami, and T. Fukuda, “Synchronized laser micromanipulation of multiple targets along each trajectory by single laser,” Applied Physics Letters, 85-19, pp. 4301-4303, 2004.
-  F. Arai, T. Endo, R. Yamauchi, and T. Fukuda, “3D 6DOF Manipulation of Microbead by Laser Tweezers,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 153-159, 2006.
-  F. Arai, T. Endo, R. Yamauchi, and T. Fukuda, “3D 6DOF Manipulation ofMicro-object Using Laser Trapped Microtool,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int’l Conf. on Robotics and automation, pp. 1390-1395, 2006.
-  T. Shimizu, M. Masuda, and H. Minamikawa, “Supramolecular Nanotube Architectures Based on Amphiphilic Molecules,” Chemical Reviews, 105, 4, pp. 1401-1443, 2005.
-  S. Kamiya, H. Minamikawa, J. H. Jung, B. Yang, M. Masuda, and T. Shimizu, “Molecular Structure of Glucopyranosylamide Lipid and Nanotube Morphology,” Langmuir, 21, 2, pp. 743-750, 2005.
-  F. Arai, M. Ogawa, T. Fukuda, K. Horio, T. Sone, K. Itoigawa, and A. Maeda, “High speed random separation of microobject in microchip by laser manipulator and dielectrophoresis,” Proc. IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems Conf., pp. 727-732, 2000.
-  F. Arai, H. Maruyama, T. Sakami, A. Ichikawa, and T. Fukuda, “Pinpoint Injection of Microtools for Minimally Invasive Micromanipulation of Microbe by Laser Trap,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 8-1, pp. 3-9, 2003.
-  H. Liang, K. T. Vu, P. Krishnan, T. C. Trang, D. Shin, S. Kimel, and M. W. Berns, “Wavelength Dependence of Cell Cloning Efficiency after Optical Trapping,” Biophysical Journal, 70, pp. 1529-1533, 1996.
-  A. Ichikawa, F. Arai, K. Yoshikawa, T. Uchida, and T. Fukuda, “Insitu formation of a gel microbead for indirect laser micromanipulation of microorganisms,” Applied Physics Letters, Vol.87, No.19, pp. 191108-1-191108-3, 2005.
-  H. Maruyama, F. Arai, and T. Fukuda, “Microfabrication and Laser Manipulation of Functional Microtool using In-Situ photofabrication,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 335-341, 2005.
-  H. Furusawa, A. Fukagawa, Y. Ikeda, J. Araki, K. Ito, G. John, and T. Shimizu, “Aligning a Single-Lipid Nanotube with Moderate Stiffness,” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., Vol.42, No.1, pp. 72-74, 2003.
-  H. Maruyama, F. Arai, and T. Fukuda, “On-Chip pH Sensing with Gel Microbead Positioned by Optical Tweezers,” Proc. of μTAS 2006 Conference, Vol.2, pp. 1247-1249, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.