New Portable Pointer for Positional Data Acquisition
Kiyoshi Ioi, Yasushi Sato, and Shinya Miyoshi
Department of Systems Design Engineering, School of Engineering, Kinki University, 1 Takaya-Umenobe, Higashihiroshima, Hiroshima 739-2116, Japan
We present a new portable pointer for positional data acquisition to aid the physically handicapped. Our device is usable anywhere and anytime because it is rarely affected by environmental conditions such as light and noise. After giving a background, we explain its basic coordinate acquisition and propose concrete pointing that indicates the desired object and method to obtain accurate coordinates from points pointed at. We detail experimental pointer results and confirm that it accurately acquires coordinates of a desired object. We conclude with confirmation of the pointer’s usefulness and discuss projected work.
-  S. Milan, ”Voice Recognition by Computer,” TECTUM-VERLAG, 2003.
-  G.-B. Daryle, ”Human Factors and Voice Interactive Systems,” Kluwer Academic Pub., 1999.
-  P. K. Allen, ”Robotic Object Recognition Using Vision and Touch,” Kluwer Academic Pub., 1987.
-  N. Barnes and Z.-Q. Liu, ”Knowledge-Based Vision Guided Robots,” PHYSICA-VERLAG, 2002.
-  http://www.motionanalysis.com/
-  http://www.ascension-tech.com/
-  S. Miyoshi, Y. Sato, K. Ioi et al., ”Pointing Expeiment of Smart Pointer for Positional Data Acquisition,” CD-ROM proc. of the 22nd RSJ conf., 2004 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ioi, Y. Sato, and S. Miyoshi, ”Study on a Portable Pointer for Positional Data Acquisition,” proc. of IEEE/ASME International Conference on AIM’05, pp. 313-318, 2005.
-  R. Pfeifer and C. Scheier, ”Understanding Intelligence,” MIT Press, 1999.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.