Locomotion of 3D Snake-Like Robots – Shifting and Rolling Control of Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3 –
Makoto Mori and Shigeo Hirose
Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
We discuss basic control strategies of a three-dimensional snake-like robot. Introduced strategies are composed of shifting and rolling, and their superimposing control. This paper clarified the generation of control commands for these movements and verified the feasibility of our proposal in experiments using the three-dimensional snake-like robot “ACM-R3”.
-  S. Hirose, “Biologically Inspired Robots (Snake-like Locomotor and Manipulator),” Oxford University Press, 1987.
-  G. Endo, K. Togawa, and S. Hirose, “Study on self-contained and Terrain Adaptive Active Cord Mechanism,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 1399-1405, 1999.
-  K. Togawa, M. Mori, and S. Hirose, “Study on Three-dimensional Active Cord Mechanism: Development of ACM-R2,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 2242-2247, 2000.
-  M. Yim et al., “PolyBot: a Modullar Reconfigurable Robot,” Proc. of the ICRA, pp. 514-520, 2000.
-  K.-U. Scholl et al., “Controlling a Multijoint Robot for Autonomous Sewer Inspection,” Proc. of the ICRA, pp. 1701-1706, 2000.
-  B. Klaassen et al., “GMD-SNAKE2: A Snake-Like Robot Driven by Wheels and a Method for Motion Control,” Proc. of the ICRA, pp. 3014-3019, 1999.
-  K. Dowling, “Limbless Locomotion: Learning to Crawl,” Proc. of the ICRA, pp. 3001-3006, 1999.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose, “Development of Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3 with Agile 3D mobility,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 1552-1557, 2001.
-  H. Ohno and S. Hirose, “Design of Slim Slime Robot and its Gait of Locomotion,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 707-715, 2001.
-  M. Mori and S. Hirose, “Three-dimensional serpentine motion and lateral rolling by Active Cord Mechanism ACM-R3,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 829-834, 2002.
-  T. Takayama and S. Hirose, “Amphibious 3D Active Cord Mechanism HELIX with Helical Swimming Motion,” Proc. of the IROS, pp. 775-780, 2002.
-  T. Kamegawa, H, Matsuno et al., “Development of the Sequentially Connected Multiple-unit Rescue Robot (KOHGA),” The 21st Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2003, 1L14.
-  R. Sasaki, S. Ma, and K. Inoue, “Development of a 3-D Snake-like Robot based on 3-DOF Joints,” The 21st Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2003, 1L12.
-  M. Mori, H. Yamada, and S. Hirose, “Design and development of Active Cord Mechanism ‘ACM-R3’ and its 3-dimensional locomotion control,” the Journal of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.23, No.7, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.