Verification of Haptic Illusions Using a Haptic Interface and Consideration on its Mechanism
Masayuki Hara*, Takahiro Higuchi**, Ayaka Ohtake*,
Jian Huang***, and Tetsuro Yabuta***
*Graduate School of Engineering, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
**Department of Health Promotion Science, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1-1 Minami-Ohsawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
In these days, a haptic interface, which is a force/tactile display device, is attracting great interest in virtual reality. With regard to this technology, researchers have reported ways to construct virtual environment and development of new devices with a unique mechanism but rarely explored the relationships between human perception and virtual dynamics. This paper suggests that it is necessary to clarify the relationships to provide more realistic force/tactile sensation for users. The main purpose of this study is to evaluate the force sensations displayed by haptic interfaces. This study focused on two haptic illusion phenomena, which are a haptic horizontal-vertical illusion and a size-weight illusion. Results of experiments using the haptic interface verified that such haptic illusions are reproducible in virtual reality. This implies that perceptual experiments can be realized using haptic interfaces, which may have potential to discover new haptic illusions. Further, this paper attempts to study the size-weight illusion by using functions of the haptic interface such as position and force sensing functions and propose a new hypothesis on the size-weight illusion. These results demonstrate that the effectiveness of haptic interfaces for perceptual experiments.
Jian Huang, and Tetsuro Yabuta, “Verification of Haptic Illusions Using a Haptic Interface and Consideration on its Mechanism,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.4, pp. 476-488, 2006.
-  Y. Iwata, “Haptic interface,” Journal of Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.38, No.6, pp. 391-396, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yokokohji, R. L. Hollis, and T. Kanade, “WYSIWYF Display: A Visual/Haptic Interface to Virtual Environment,” PRESENCE, Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 412-434, 1999.
-  S. Walairacht, Y. Koike, and M. Sato, “A New Haptic Display for Both-Hands-Operation: SPIDAR-8,” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, Phuket, Thailand, pp. 569-572, December, 1999.
-  S. Kim, S. Hasegawa, Y. Koike, and M. Sato, ““Cutting edge” Force-Feedback Device: SPIDAR-G,” Proceedings of the 32nd International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1771-1776, April, 2001.
-  V. D. Daniulaitis, M. Osama, H. Kawasaki, Y. Tanaka, and T. Hori, “Medical Palpation of Deformable Tissue Using Physics-Based Model for Haptic Interface RObot (HIRO),” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3907-3911, November, 2004.
-  Y. Ueda, and T. Maeno, “Development of a Mouse-Shaped Haptic Device with Multipule Finger Inputs,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 2886-2891, October, 2004.
-  J. Ochi, T. Hashimoto, K. Suzumori, J. Tanaka, and T. Kanda, “Active Link Mechanisms for Physical Man-machine Interaction,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3895-3900, October, 2004.
-  N. Nitzsche, and G. Schmidt, “A Mobile Haptic Interface Mastering a Mobile Teleoperator,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3912-3917, October, 2004.
-  Y. Yokokohji, N. Muramori, Y. Sato, and T. Yoshikawa, “Designing an Encountered-Type Haptic Display for Multiple Fingertip Contacts based on the Observation of Human Grasping Behavior,” International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.9, pp. 717-730, 2005.
-  Y. Tsumaki, H. Naruse, D. N. Nenchev, and M. Uchiyama, “Design of a Compact 6-DOF Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Leuven, Belgium, pp. 2580-2585, May, 1998.
-  M. Mitsuishi, T. Karino, T. Yoshidome, S. Warisawa, H. Hashizume, and K. Fujiwara, “Fail-safe Mechanism and User Interface for a Tele-micro surgical System,” Proceedings of the 32nd International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, pp. 444-450, April, 2001.
-  T. Hoshino, H. Ishigaki, Y. Konishi, K. Kondo, T. Suzuki, T. Saito, N. Kakuta, A. Wagatsuma, and K. Mabuchi, “A Master-Slave Manipulation System with a Force-Feedback Function for Endoscopic surgery,” Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 8051-8054, October, 2001.
-  E. H. Weber, “The sense of touch,” London: New York: Academic Press for Experimental Psychology Society, December, 1978 (Original work published in 1834).
-  D. I. McCloskey, “Kinesthetic sensibility,” Physiological Reviews, Vol.58, pp. 763-820, 1978.
-  J. J. Gibson, “Observations on active touch,” Psychological Review, Vol.69, pp. 477-491, 1962.
-  R. S. Johansson, “Tactile sensibility in the human hand; Relative and absolute densities of four types of mechanoreceptive units in glabrous skin,” Journal of Physiology, Vol.286, pp. 283-300, 1979.
-  A. M. Gordon, G. Westling, K. J. Cole, and R. S. Johansson, “Memory Representations Underlying Motor Commands Used During Manipulation of Common and Novel Objects,” Journal of Neurophsiology, Vol.60, No.6, pp. 1789-1796, June, 1993.
-  M. S. Turvey, “Dynamic touch,” American Psychologist, Vol.51, pp. 1134-1152, 1996.
-  U. Langenberg, H. Hefter, K. R. Kessler, and J. D. Cooke, “Sinusoidal forearm tracking with delayed visual feedback. I. Dependence of the tracking error on the relative delay,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.118, pp. 161-170, 1998.
-  I. Kim, N. Nakazawa, and H. Inooka, “Control a robot hand emulating human’s hand-over motion,” Mechatronics, Vol.12, pp. 55-69, 2002.
-  S. Kawai, “Heaviness perception. I. Constant involvement of haptically perceived size in weight discrimination,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.147, pp. 16-22, 2002.
-  S. Kawai, “Heaviness perception. II. Contribution of object weight, haptic size, and density to the accurate perception of heaviness or lightness,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.147, pp. 23-28, 2002.
-  S. Coren, and J. S. Girgus, “Illusion and constancies,” In W. Epstein (Ed.), “Stability and constancy in visual perception,” Mechanism and process, New York: Wiley, pp. 255-283, 1977.
-  L. Armstrong, and L. E. Marks, “Haptic Perception of Liner Extent,” Perception & Psycholophysics, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 1211-1222, 1999.
-  A. Charpentier, “Analyse experimentale de quelques elements de la sensation de poids [Experimental study of some aspects of weight perception],” Archieves de Physiologie Normales et Pathologiques, Vol.3, pp. 122-135, 1981 (in French).
-  M. Hara, T. Higuchi, and T. Yabuta, “Application of Haptic Interface to Produce Haptic Illusion in Virtual Environment,” Journal of Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.39, No.12, pp. 1162-1164, 2003.
-  T. Yabuta, M. Hara, T. Yamaguchi, and T. Higuchi, “Force Display System of Virtual Objects Using Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Micromechatronics and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 133-139, October, 2003.
-  M. Hara, C. Asada, T. Higuchi, and T. Yabuta, “Perceptual Illusion in Virtual Reality Using Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Conference on Intelligent Robotic and System, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3901-3906, October, 2004.
-  M. Hara, T. Higuchi, A. Ohtake, J. Huang, and T. Yabuta, “Analysis of Weight Perceptual Mechanism Based on Muscular Motion Using Virtual Reality,” Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE System, Man and Cybernetics, Hawaii, USA, pp. 259-264, October, 2005.
-  G. A. Gescheider, “Psychophysics: The Fundamentals (3rd ed.),” Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 1997.
-  T. Miyaoka, K. Kurakata, R. Kaneko, and A. Shibasaki, “Psychophysics: Method, Theory, and Application,” Kitaohji-shobou, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  J. R. Flanagan, and M. A. Beltznar, “Independent of perceptual and sensorymotor prediction in the size-weight illusion,” Nature Neuroscience, Vol.3, No.7, pp. 737-741, 2002.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.