Verification of Haptic Illusions Using a Haptic Interface and Consideration on its Mechanism
Masayuki Hara*, Takahiro Higuchi**, Ayaka Ohtake*,
Jian Huang***, and Tetsuro Yabuta***
*Graduate School of Engineering, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
**Department of Health Promotion Science, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1-1 Minami-Ohsawa, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science, Yokohama National University, 79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 240-8501, Japan
-  Y. Iwata, “Haptic interface,” Journal of Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.38, No.6, pp. 391-396, 1999 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yokokohji, R. L. Hollis, and T. Kanade, “WYSIWYF Display: A Visual/Haptic Interface to Virtual Environment,” PRESENCE, Teleoperators and Virtual Environments, Vol.8, No.4, pp. 412-434, 1999.
-  S. Walairacht, Y. Koike, and M. Sato, “A New Haptic Display for Both-Hands-Operation: SPIDAR-8,” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems, Phuket, Thailand, pp. 569-572, December, 1999.
-  S. Kim, S. Hasegawa, Y. Koike, and M. Sato, ““Cutting edge” Force-Feedback Device: SPIDAR-G,” Proceedings of the 32nd International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1771-1776, April, 2001.
-  V. D. Daniulaitis, M. Osama, H. Kawasaki, Y. Tanaka, and T. Hori, “Medical Palpation of Deformable Tissue Using Physics-Based Model for Haptic Interface RObot (HIRO),” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3907-3911, November, 2004.
-  Y. Ueda, and T. Maeno, “Development of a Mouse-Shaped Haptic Device with Multipule Finger Inputs,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 2886-2891, October, 2004.
-  J. Ochi, T. Hashimoto, K. Suzumori, J. Tanaka, and T. Kanda, “Active Link Mechanisms for Physical Man-machine Interaction,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3895-3900, October, 2004.
-  N. Nitzsche, and G. Schmidt, “A Mobile Haptic Interface Mastering a Mobile Teleoperator,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3912-3917, October, 2004.
-  Y. Yokokohji, N. Muramori, Y. Sato, and T. Yoshikawa, “Designing an Encountered-Type Haptic Display for Multiple Fingertip Contacts based on the Observation of Human Grasping Behavior,” International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.9, pp. 717-730, 2005.
-  Y. Tsumaki, H. Naruse, D. N. Nenchev, and M. Uchiyama, “Design of a Compact 6-DOF Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Leuven, Belgium, pp. 2580-2585, May, 1998.
-  M. Mitsuishi, T. Karino, T. Yoshidome, S. Warisawa, H. Hashizume, and K. Fujiwara, “Fail-safe Mechanism and User Interface for a Tele-micro surgical System,” Proceedings of the 32nd International Symposium on Robotics, Seoul, Korea, pp. 444-450, April, 2001.
-  T. Hoshino, H. Ishigaki, Y. Konishi, K. Kondo, T. Suzuki, T. Saito, N. Kakuta, A. Wagatsuma, and K. Mabuchi, “A Master-Slave Manipulation System with a Force-Feedback Function for Endoscopic surgery,” Proceedings of the 23rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 8051-8054, October, 2001.
-  E. H. Weber, “The sense of touch,” London: New York: Academic Press for Experimental Psychology Society, December, 1978 (Original work published in 1834).
-  D. I. McCloskey, “Kinesthetic sensibility,” Physiological Reviews, Vol.58, pp. 763-820, 1978.
-  J. J. Gibson, “Observations on active touch,” Psychological Review, Vol.69, pp. 477-491, 1962.
-  R. S. Johansson, “Tactile sensibility in the human hand; Relative and absolute densities of four types of mechanoreceptive units in glabrous skin,” Journal of Physiology, Vol.286, pp. 283-300, 1979.
-  A. M. Gordon, G. Westling, K. J. Cole, and R. S. Johansson, “Memory Representations Underlying Motor Commands Used During Manipulation of Common and Novel Objects,” Journal of Neurophsiology, Vol.60, No.6, pp. 1789-1796, June, 1993.
-  M. S. Turvey, “Dynamic touch,” American Psychologist, Vol.51, pp. 1134-1152, 1996.
-  U. Langenberg, H. Hefter, K. R. Kessler, and J. D. Cooke, “Sinusoidal forearm tracking with delayed visual feedback. I. Dependence of the tracking error on the relative delay,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.118, pp. 161-170, 1998.
-  I. Kim, N. Nakazawa, and H. Inooka, “Control a robot hand emulating human’s hand-over motion,” Mechatronics, Vol.12, pp. 55-69, 2002.
-  S. Kawai, “Heaviness perception. I. Constant involvement of haptically perceived size in weight discrimination,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.147, pp. 16-22, 2002.
-  S. Kawai, “Heaviness perception. II. Contribution of object weight, haptic size, and density to the accurate perception of heaviness or lightness,” Experimental Brain Research, Vol.147, pp. 23-28, 2002.
-  S. Coren, and J. S. Girgus, “Illusion and constancies,” In W. Epstein (Ed.), “Stability and constancy in visual perception,” Mechanism and process, New York: Wiley, pp. 255-283, 1977.
-  L. Armstrong, and L. E. Marks, “Haptic Perception of Liner Extent,” Perception & Psycholophysics, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 1211-1222, 1999.
-  A. Charpentier, “Analyse experimentale de quelques elements de la sensation de poids [Experimental study of some aspects of weight perception],” Archieves de Physiologie Normales et Pathologiques, Vol.3, pp. 122-135, 1981 (in French).
-  M. Hara, T. Higuchi, and T. Yabuta, “Application of Haptic Interface to Produce Haptic Illusion in Virtual Environment,” Journal of Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.39, No.12, pp. 1162-1164, 2003.
-  T. Yabuta, M. Hara, T. Yamaguchi, and T. Higuchi, “Force Display System of Virtual Objects Using Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Micromechatronics and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 133-139, October, 2003.
-  M. Hara, C. Asada, T. Higuchi, and T. Yabuta, “Perceptual Illusion in Virtual Reality Using Haptic Interface,” Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Conference on Intelligent Robotic and System, Sendai, Japan, pp. 3901-3906, October, 2004.
-  M. Hara, T. Higuchi, A. Ohtake, J. Huang, and T. Yabuta, “Analysis of Weight Perceptual Mechanism Based on Muscular Motion Using Virtual Reality,” Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE System, Man and Cybernetics, Hawaii, USA, pp. 259-264, October, 2005.
-  G. A. Gescheider, “Psychophysics: The Fundamentals (3rd ed.),” Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 1997.
-  T. Miyaoka, K. Kurakata, R. Kaneko, and A. Shibasaki, “Psychophysics: Method, Theory, and Application,” Kitaohji-shobou, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  J. R. Flanagan, and M. A. Beltznar, “Independent of perceptual and sensorymotor prediction in the size-weight illusion,” Nature Neuroscience, Vol.3, No.7, pp. 737-741, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.