Self-Localization Method Utilizing Environment-Embedded Information and Range Sensory Information
Kuniaki Kawabata*, Daisuke Itoh**, Yasushi Hada*,
Daisuke Chugo***, Hayato Kaetsu*, and Hajime Asama****
*RIKEN (The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research), 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
**SOFTBRAIN Co. Ltd., 2-24-2 Chuo-ku, Hacchoubori, Tokyo 104-0032, Japan
***Intelligent Modeling Lab., The University of Tokyo, 2-11-16 Yayoi, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
****RACE, The University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashinoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-8568, Japan
In this current research, we are developing an automatic navigation system for outdoor vehicles. Especially, in this paper we propose self-localization method based on the information stored in Information Assistant (IA) devices and range sensor information. IA is a sort of electronics device with wireless communication function based on RF-ID and stored local environment map. The vehicle reads reference data from distributed IAs in the environment and compares such data and scanning range data by using Laser Range Finder (LRF). A probabilistic calculation is introduced to match the sensory information and environment-embedded information. We had the experiment for verifying the validity of our localization method using outdoor vehicle.
Daisuke Chugo, Hayato Kaetsu, and Hajime Asama, “Self-Localization Method Utilizing Environment-Embedded Information and Range Sensory Information,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 131-138, 2006.
-  A. J. Davison, and N. Kita, “Sequential Localisation and Map-Building for Real-Time Computer Vision and Robotics,” Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.36, No.4, pp. 171-183, 2001.
-  A. Georgiev, and P. K. Allen, “Localization Methods for Mobile Robot in Urban Environment,” Transactions on Robotics, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 851-864, 2004.
-  Y. Chikayama, S. Kotani, and H. Mori, “Positioning of Robotic Travel Aid with RTK-GPS,” Proc. of ROBOMEC’01, No.1P1-J4, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  T. Yamamoto, S. Maeyama, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “An Inplementation of Landmark-Based Position Estimation function as an Autonomous and Distributed System for a Mobile Robot,” 1999 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS99), TP2 1-4, 1999.
-  S. Soumare, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance by an Autonomous Mobile Robot using an Active Vision Sensor and a Vertically Emitted Laser Slit,” Intelligent Autonomous Systems 7, pp. 301-308, 2002.
-  J. J. Leonard, and H. F. Durrant-Whyte, “Simultaneous Map Building and Localization for an Autonomous Mobile Robot,” Proc. of International Workshop on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS’91), pp. 1442-1447, 1991.
-  S. Thrun, D. Fox, and W. Burgard, “A Probabilistic Approach to Concurrent Mapping and Localization for Mobile Robots,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.5, pp. 253-271, 1998.
-  Y. Ha, and H. Kim, “Environmental Map Building for A Mobile Robot Using Infrared Range-finder Sensors,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 437-450, 2004.
-  J. Guivant, E. Nebot, and S. Baiker, “Autonomous Navigation and Map building Using Laser Range Sensors in Outdoor Applications,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.17, No.10, pp. 565-583, 2000.
-  H. Asama, D. Kurabayashi, K. Kawabata, T. Fujii, H. Kaetsu, I. Endo, M. Kusakabe, A. Yoshiki, T. Ebisuzaki, and H. Tashiro, “Emergence in distributed autonomous robotic systems towards symbiosis engineering by using ubiquitous devices,” RIKEN Review, No.36, pp. 16-20, 2001.
-  Y. Arai, T. Fujii, H. Asama, T. Fujita, H. Kaetsu, and I. Endo, “Self-Localization of Autonomous Mobile Robots Using Intelligent Data Carriers,” Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems 2, Springer-Verlag, pp. 401-410, 1996.
-  T. Suzuki, T. Uehara, K. Kawabata, D. Kurabayashi, I. E. Paromtchik, and H. Asama, “Indoor Navigation for Mobile Robot by using Environment-embedded Local Information Management Device and Optical Pointer,” Preprints of the 4th International Conference on Field and Service Robotics, pp. 23-28, 2003.
-  K. Kawabata, M. Doi, D. Chugo, H. Kaetsu, and H. Asama, “Vehicle Guidance System using Local Information Assistants,” Proceedings of 7th International Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems, pp. 81-90, 2004.
-  SICK, Lms291-s05,
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.