Stand-Alone Wearable Power Assist Suit –Development and Availability–
Mineo Ishii, Keijiro Yamamoto, and Kazuhito Hyodo
Kanagawa Institute of Technology, 1030 Shimo-Ogino, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0292, Japan
The stand-alone wearable power assist suit we developed gives caregivers the extra strength they need to lift patients while avoiding back injuries. To put this suit to practical use, we improved sensing system and the mechanisms. To stabilize muscle tenseness sensing more, we developed an all-in-one sensor that built the sensor into a mesh belt and improved sensing characteristics. We expanded the movable range and function of the suit. We increased actuator output torque by increasing the number of cuffs inserted into actuators. Based on equations derived from static body mechanics using joint angles, joints torques required to maintain a position are calculated by an embedded microcomputer and required joint torques was combined with muscle sensor output signals to generate control signals. We developed an exoskeleton for measurement having the same frame and potentiometers as the suit and measured muscle force by having a user wear the exoskeleton, and proved that each unit of the suit transmitted assistance torque directly to each joint. We also found that a user wearing the suit could lift weight using half or less muscle power, i.e., muscle power doubled.
-  S. Hashino, “Review of Transfer System for The Handicapped,” J. Robotics Soc. Jpn., Vol.11, No.5, pp. 649-654, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  T. Okazaki, T. Nagasawa, T. Takahashi, and Y. Yamashita, “Intellectualization of the Nursing Aid Robot –about an Open Prolog Subsystem–,” Proc. 25th Conf. Jpn Soc. ME&BE, p. 443, 1986 (in Japanese).
-  N. Tejima, “Development of a Simple Device for Transfer Aid,” Proc. Conf. JSPE’98, p. 612, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  T. Koyama, K. Yamafuji, and T. Tanaka, “Wearable Human-Assisting System for Nursing Use,” Trans. Jpn Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.66, No.651, C, pp. 3679-3684, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  J. Okamura, H. Tanaka, and Y. Sankai, “EMG-based Prototype Powered Assistive System for Walking Aid,” Proc. ASIAR’99, pp. 229-234, 1999.
-  S. Kawamura, T. Yonezawa, K. Fujimoto, Y. Hayakawa, T. Isaka, and S. R. Pandian, “Development of an active orthsis for knee motion by using pneumatic actuators,” Proc. ICMA2000, Osaka, pp. 615-620, 2000.
-  H. Kobayashi, A. Uchimura, Y. Ishida, T. Shiba, K. Hiramatsu, M. Konami, T. Matsushita, and Y. Sato, “Development of a muscle suit for the upper body – realization of abduction motion,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 497-513, 2004.
-  Belex-UC Berkeley Exoskeleton,
-  K. Yamamoto, H. Miyanishi, and M. Imai, “Development of Pneumatic Actuator for Powered Arm,” Proc. JHPS Autumn Meeting, pp. 85-88, 1991 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yamamoto, and K. Hyodo, “Powered Arm and Leg for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Proc. 1st Asian Control Conf., SICE, J., pp. 561-564, 1994.
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, and Y. Tanimoto, “Development of Powered Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Proc. of 9th National Symposium on Fluid Control, SICE, J, pp. 75-80, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, and T. Matsuo, “Powered Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Fluid Power (Proc. 3rd International Symposium on Fluid Power), JHPS, pp. 415-420, 1996.
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, M. Ishii, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Power Assisting Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol.657, No.67, C, pp. 1499-1506, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yamamoto, M. Ishii, K. Hyodo, T. Yoshimitsu, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Power Assisting Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor –Miniaturization of supply system to realize wearable suit–,” JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 923-930, 2003.
-  K. Yamamoto, M. Ishii, K. Hyodo, T. Yoshimitsu, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Wearable Power Assist Suit,” Proc. of the 7th Trienial International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization, CD-ROM, 2003.
-  K. Yamamoto, M. Ishii, K. Hyodo, T. Yoshimitsu, K. Takahashi, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Wearable Power Assisting Suit,” CD-ROM Proc. of JSME D&D Conf. 2003, Paper No.555, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Hirata, “New beddosaido wo kagakusuru,” Gakken, 2000.
-  A. H. Burstein, and T. M. Wright, “Fundamentals of Orthopaedic Biomechanics,” Williams & Wilkins, 1994 (Translated into Japanese by H. Kurosawa et al., Nankodo, 1997).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.