Dual-Armed Surgical Master-Slave Manipulator System with MR Compatibility
Kousuke Kishi*,**, Kazutoshi Kan***, Masakatsu G. Fujie**,
Kenichi Sudo****, Shinichi Takamoto*****,
and Takeyoshi Dohi******
*Mechanical Engineering Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd.
**Department of Mechanical Engineering School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University
***Advanced Research Laboratory, Hitachi, Ltd.
****Cardiovascular Surgery, Kyorin University School of Medicine
*****Dept. of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo
******Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Department of Mechano-Informatics, The University of Tokyo
We propose a surgical manipulator system supporting surgical treatment and intraoperative disease diagnosis. Manipulators fit vertical-magnetic-field open-configuration magnetic resonance (MR) imagers, and surgical tools on the end of the manipulator arm are interchangeable. We evaluated maneuverability using slave manipulators through a surgical input device consisting of a pair of master devices and a console. We conducted basic suturing tasks in training material that mimics human tissue and thin blood vessels.
Kenichi Sudo, Shinichi Takamoto, and
and Takeyoshi Dohi, “Dual-Armed Surgical Master-Slave Manipulator System with MR Compatibility,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.3, pp. 285-292, 2005.
-  G. S. Guthart, and J. K. Salisbury, Jr., “The IntuitiveTM Telesurgery System: Overview and Application,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 618-621, 2000.
-  K. Kan, M. G. Fujie, F. Tajima, K. Nishizawa, T. Kawai, A. Shose, K. Takakura, S. Kobayashi, and T. Dohi, “Development of HUMAN System with Three Micro Manipulators for Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery,” Proc. CARS, pp. 144-149, 2001.
-  Y. Nakamura, K. Kishi, and H. Kawakami, “Heartbeat synchronization for robotic cardiac surgery,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, Vol.2, pp. 2014-2019, 2001.
-  F. A. Jolesz, “Image-guided procedures and the operating room of the future,” Radiology, 204, pp. 601-612, 1997.
-  K. Masamune, E. Kobayashi, Y. Masutani, M. Suzuki, T. Dohi, H. Iseki, and K. Takakura, “Development of a MRI Compatible Needle Insertion Manipulator for Stereotactic Neurosurgery,” Proc. MRCAS, pp. 165-172, 1995.
-  K. Chinzei, N. Hata, F. A. Jolesz, and R. Kikinis, “MR Compatible Surgical Assist Robot: System Integration and Preliminary Feasibility Study,” Proc. MICCAI, LNCS1935, pp. 921-930, 2000.
-  A. Krieger, R. C. Susil, G. Fichringer, E. Atalar, and L. L. Whitcomb, “Design of a novel MRI compatible manipulator for image guided prostate intervention,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 377-382, 2004.
-  K. Nishizawa, and K. Kishi, “Development of Interference-Free Wire-Driven Joint Mechanism for Surgical Manipulator Systems,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 116-121, 2004.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.