Detection of Wet-Road Conditions from Images Captured by a Vehicle-Mounted Camera
Muneo Yamada*, Koji Ueda*, Isao Horiba*,
Shin Yamamoto**, and Sadayuki Tsugawa**
*Nagoya Electric Works Co., Ltd., 29-1 Shinoda, Miwa-cho, Ama-gun, Aichi 490-1294, Japan
**Meijo University, 1-501 Shiogamaguchi, Tenpaku-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 468-8502, Japan
-  Supervised by Road Bureau, The Minstry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, “ITS HAND BOOK,” Highway Industry Development Organization of Japan, 2002.
-  S. Tsugawa, S. Yamamoto, and S. Kato, “Human Centered ITS View Aid System: Concept and Procedure Studies,” Proceedings of 9th World Congress of ITS, Paper#0219 (CD-ROM), 2002.
-  M. Yamada, T. Oshima, K. Ueda, I. Horiba, and S. Yamamoto, “Study of a road surface condition detection technique in the Human Centered ITS View Aid System,” Proceedings of 9th World Congress of ITS, Paper#3603 (CD-ROM), 2002.
-  H. Mizuno, M. Yasuda, M. Itoh, S. Yamamoto, and S. Mori, “Measurement of the Driver’s Blinking and Estimation of their Awareness using the Image Processing,” Proceedings of 9th World Congress of ITS, Paper#3136 (CD-ROM), 2002.
-  H. Ishigaki, K. Katou, N. Miki, M. Kawasumi, and S. Yamamoto, “The Dispray Method of Route Information and Driver Support Information System Depending on the Degrees of the Consciousness of a Driver and Feature for the Elderly,” Proceedings of 9th World Congress of ITS, Paper#3085 (CD-ROM), 2002.
-  S. Tsugawa et al., “Demo 2000 Cooperative Driving: An Overview,” Proceedings of 8th World Congress of ITS, (CD-ROM), 2001.
-  T. Kuno, H. Sugiura, and J. Yoshida, “Detection of Road Condition with CCD Cameras Mounted on a Vehicle,” Trans. Inst. Electron. Inform. Commun. Eng. Japan, Vol.J81-D-II, No.10, pp. 2301-2310, 1998.
-  K. Ueda, I. Horiba, K. Ikegaya, and T. Ooi, “A Detecting Method of Wet Condition on Road Using Image Processing,” Trans. Inform. Process. Soc. Japan, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 1072-1080, 1994.
-  M. Yamada, T. Tanizaki, K. Ueda, I. Horiba, and N. Sugie, “A System of Discrimination of the Road Condition by means of Image Processing,” Trans. IEE of Japan, Vol.120-D, No.8/9, pp. 1053-1060, 2000.
-  M. Yamada, K. Ueda, I. Horiba, and N. Sugie, “Discrimination of the Road Condition Toward Understanding of Vehicle Driving Environments,” IEEE Trans. Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 26-31, 2001.
-  R. M. Haralick, K. Shanmugam, and I. Dinstein, “Texture Features for Image Classification,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern., Vol.SMC-3, No.6, pp. 610-621, 1973.
-  F. Murtagh, and A. Heck, “Multivariate Data Analysis,” Astrophysics and Space Science Library, Dordrecht, 1987.
-  A. Rosenfeld, and A. C. Kak, “Digital Picture Processing,” Academic Press, New York, 1976.
-  N. Otsu et al., “A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-level Histograms,” IEEE Trans. SMC-9, pp. 62-66, 1979.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.