Design of Wearable Power-Assist Device for Lower Back Support
Keitaro Naruse*, Satoshi Kawai**, Hiroshi Yokoi***,
and Yukinori Kakazu****
*The School of Computer Science and Engineering, The University of Aizu, Tsuruga, Ikki-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu 965-8580, Japan
**Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University, Kita-13 Nishi-8, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
***Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
****Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Kita-14 Nishi-9, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
In this paper, we propose a mechanical device for supporting the lower back, which is often injured due to carrying heavy loads because of the large compression applied to the lower back that may injure spinal discs. We develop a power-assist device for supporting one degree of freedom (DOF), which is flexion and extension of the lower back, for reducing compression and assisting lifting. We evaluate the effect of the device in experiments that verify that the proposed power-assist device effectively protects against lumbago.
-  K. Yamamoto, K. Hyodo, M. Ishii, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Power Assisting Suit for Assisting Nurse Labor,” Trans. of JSME, Vol.67, No.657, pp. 1499-1506, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  S. Morishita, T. Tanaka, K. Yamafuji, and N. Kanamori, “Improvement of Manoeuvrability of the Man-Machine System for Wearable Nursing Robots,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 461-467, 1999.
-  T. Aoki, and K. Taguchi, “A Study of Human-Assist-Robot –Development of a Prototype Robot for Nursing Use–,” J. of RSJ, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 157-163, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  S. Lee, and Y. Sankai, “Power Assist Control for Walking Aid with-HAL-3 Based on EMG and Impedance Adjustment around Knee Joint,” IROS2002, pp. 1499-1504, 2002.
-  K. Kiguchi, S. Kariya, T. Tanaka, K. Watanabe, and T. Fukuda, “An Interface between an Exoskeletal Elbow Motion Assist Robot and a Human Upper-Arm,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.5, pp. 439-452, 2002.
-  H. Kazerooni, and J. Guo, “Human Extenders,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements, and Control, Vol.115, No.2(B), 1993.
-  H. Kazerooni, S. L. Mahoney et al., “Dynamics and Control of Robotic Systems Worn by Humans,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.113, pp. 379-387, 1991.
-  J. J. Misuraca, and C. Mavroidis, “Lower Limb Human Muscle Enhancer,” Proceedings of IMECE01: International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, 2001.
-  J. Rosen, M. Brand, M. B. Fuchs, and M. Arcan, “A Myosignal-Based Powered Exoskeleton System,” IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol.31, No.3, pp. 210-222, 2001.
-  D. B. Chaffin, G. B. J. Anderson, and B. J. Martin, “Occupational Biomechanics, third edition,” John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
-  S. Kawai, K. Naruse, H. Yokoi, and Y. Kakazu, “An analysis of human motion for control of a wearable power assist system,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 237-244, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.