An EMG-Controlled Hand Exoskeleton for Natural Pinching
Lenny Lucas*, Matthew DiCicco*, and Yoky Matsuoka*,**
*Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
**Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 5000 Forbes Ave. NSH3207, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
-  Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.
-  N. Benjuya, and S. Kenny, “Myoelectric Hand Orthosis,” Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics, pp. 149-154, 1990.
-  M. Slack, and D. Berbrayer, “A Myoelectrically Controlled Wrist-Hand Orthosis for Brachial Plexus Injury: A Case Study,” Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics, pp. 171-174, 1992.
-  J. B. Makaram, D. K. Dittmer, R. O. Buchal, and D. B. MachArthur, “The SMARTR Wrist-Hand Orthosis (WHO) for Quadriplegic Patients,” Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics, pp. 73-76, 1993.
-  K. Kuribayashi, S. Shimizu, K. Okimura, and T. Taniguchi, “A discrimination system using neural networks for EMG-control prostheses-Integral type of emg signal processing,” Proceedings of the 1993 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1750-1755, 1993.
-  K. Ito, T. Tsuji, A. Kato, and M. Ito, “EMG pattern classification for a prosthetic forarm with three degrees of freedom,” IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 69-74, 1992.
-  R. F. Kirsh, and A. T. C. Au, “EMG-based motion intention detection for control of a shoulder neuroprosthesis,” IEEE International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Vol.5, pp. 1944-1945, 1997.
-  A. T. C. Au, T. C. Arthur, and R. F. Kirch, “EMG-based prediction of shoulder and elbow kinematics in able-bodied and spinarl cord injured individuals,” IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.8, pp. 471-480, 2000.
-  D. C. Johnson, and D. W. Repperger, “Development of a mobility assist for the paralyzed, amputee, and spastic patient,” IEEE, pp. 67-70R, 1996.
-  Y. Umetani, Y. Yamada, T. Morizono, T. Yoshida, and S. Aoki, “Skil Mate” wearable exoskeleton robot, in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 984-988, 1999.
-  K. Kuribayashi, M. Takahashi, and T. Taniguchi, “An upper extremity prosthesis using SMA actuator,” IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Communication, pp. 52-57, 1992.
-  M. DiCicco, L. Lucas, and Y. Matsuoka, “Comparison of Two Control Strategies for a Muscle Controlled Orthotic Exoskeleton for the Hand,” The Proceedings of the IEEE Intl. Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1622-1627, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.