Force Analysis of Exoskeletal Robotic Orthoses for Judgment on Mechanical Safety and Possibility of Assistance
Kiyoshi Nagai*, and Isao Nakanishi**
*Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji-higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577, Japan
**TOME R&D Inc. 134 Chudoji-Minamicho, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8813, Japan
We discuss analysis to judge whether an exoskeletal robotic orthosis may assist in providing force while theoretically guaranteeing user safety. First, we explain our basic concept on how to make this judgment. Second, we propose a theory for simultaneously evaluating mechanical safety for the user and the possibility of assistance based on force analysis. We then study feasibility with a numerical example, and detail an application of the proposed method to mechanical design of an exoskeletal robotic orthosis.
-  G. R. Johnson, D. A. Carus, G. Parrini, S. S. Marchese, and R. Valeggi, “The design of a five-degree-of-freedom powered orthosis for the upper limb,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.215, Part H, pp. 275-284, 2001.
-  K. Kiguchi, M. Yasuda, K. Iwami, K. Watanabe, and T. Fukuda, “Design of an Exoskeletal Robot for Human Shoulder Motion Support Considering a Center of Rotation of the Shoulder Joint,” Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1493-1498.
-  T. Rahman, W. Sample, and R. Seliktar, “Design and Testing of WREX,” Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 139-142, 2003.
-  T. Mitsuda, S. Kuge, M. Wakabayashi, and S. Kawamura, “Development of a Particle Mechanical Constraint of Variable Stiffness with Application to a Wearable Force Display,” Transactions of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.37, No.12, pp. 1134-1139, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kazerooni, “Human-Robot Interaction via the Transfer of Power and Information Signals,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 450-463, 1990.
-  Electric Human Powered Extenders (Arms):
-  T. Koyama, K. Yamafuji, and T. Tanaka, “Wearable Human-Assisting System for Nursing Use. 1st Report. Concepts, Design of System and Development of a Prototype,” Nihon Kikai Gakkai Ronbunshu C, Vol.66, No.651, pp. 155-160, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  K. Yamamoto, M. Ishii, K. Hyodo, T. Yoshimitsu, and T. Matsuo, “Development of Power Assisting Suit (Miniaturization of Supply System to Realize Wearable Suit,” JSME International Journal Series C: Mechanical Systems, Machine Elements and Manufacturing, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 923-930, 2003.
-  T. Aoki, and K. Taguchi, “A Study of Human-Assist-Robot –Development of a Prototype Robot for Nursing Use–” Journal of the Robotic Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 157-163, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Nagai, I. Nakanishi, H. Hanafusa, S. Kawamura, M. Makikawa, and N. Tejima, “Development of an 8 DOF Robotic Orthosis for Assisting Human Upper Limb Motion,” Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3486-3491, 1998.
-  K. Nagai, I. Nakanishi, H. Hanafusa, S. Kawamura, M. Makikawa, and N. Tejima, “Mechanical Design of a Robotic Orthosis Assisting Human Motion,” Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Advanced Mechatronics, pp. 436-441, 1998.
-  X.-Z. Zheng, N. Tomochika, and T. Yoshikawa, “Dynamic Manipulability of Multiple Robotic Mechanism in Coordinated Manipulation,” Journal of the Robotic Society of Japan, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 892-900, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  X.-Y. Zhang, Y. Nakamura, and K. Yoshimoto, “Mechanical Analysis of Grasps with Defective Contacts Using Polyhedral Convex Set Theory,” Journal of the Robotic Society of Japan, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 105-113, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  V. Chvatal, “Linear Programming,” W. H. Freeman and Company, 1983.
-  H. Hirukawa, T. Matsui, and K. Takase, “A Fast Algorithm for the Analysis of the Constraint for Motion of Polyhedra in Contact and its Application to Departure Motion Planning,” Journal of the Robotic Society of Japan, Vol.9, No.7, pp. 841-848, 1991 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.