Volcanic Ash from the June 17, 1962 Eruption of Yakedake Volcano: Stereomicroscopic, XRD, and Water-Soluble Components Analyses
Muga Yaguchi*,, Takeshi Ohba**, Yasuo Hirayama***, and Nozomi Numanami**
*Department of Volcanology Research, Meteorological Research Institute, Japan Meteorological Agency
1-1 Nagamine, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0052, Japan
**Department of Chemistry, School of Science, Tokai University, Kanagawa, Japan
***Nagano Local Meteorological Office, Japan Meteorological Agency, Nagano, Japan
We performed stereomicroscopic, X-ray diffraction (XRD), and water-soluble components analyses on volcanic ash discharged from the June 17, 1962 eruption of Yakedake volcano. Ash samples were collected without surface soil and rainfall contamination. Pyrite and gypsum were identified, as well as other previously reported constituent minerals, and 1,250 mg/kg of Cl and 10,800 mg/kg of SO4 as water-soluble components. The presence of hydrothermal alteration minerals and large amounts of water-soluble components indicates that the eruption was a phreatic event that originated in a hydrothermal alteration zone.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, “GSI Maps,” https://maps.gsi.go.jp/#12/36.2/137.8/&base=std&base_grayscale=1&ls=std%2C0.2%7Chillshademap%2C0.8&blend=1 (in Japanese) [accessed July 30, 2021]
-  I. Murai, “A brief note on the eruption of the Yake-dake Volcano of June 17, 1962,” Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 805-814, 1963.
-  T. Oikawa, M. Okuno, and T. Nakamura, “The past 3000 years’ eruption history of Yakedake volcano in the Northern Japan Alps,” J. Geol. Soc. Japan, Vol.108, No.2, pp. 88-102, doi: 10.5575/geosoc.108.88, 2002 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  T. Yamada, “Report of the 1962 activity of Yakedake Volcano, central Japan,” J. Fac. Lib. Arts Sci. Shinshu Univ., No.12, pp. 47-68, 1963.
-  J. Ossaka and T. Ozawa, “The 1962-ejecta from Mt. Yake, Nagano-Gifu prefectures, and its mechanism of eruption,” Bull. Volcanol. Soc. Japan, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 17-29, doi: 10.18940/kazanc.11.1_17, 1966 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  D. Takiguchi, T. Saito, and K. Kataoka, “Volcanic sediments distributed around Nakanoyu route, southern foot of Yakedake volcano,” Abst. Japan Geosci. Union Meet. 2018, SVC41-P18, 2018.
-  Matumoto Weather Station, “Daily ledger for meteorological observation on June 17, 1962,” 1962 (in Japanese).
-  Matumoto Weather Station, “Daily ledger for meteorological observation on June 18, 1962,” 1962 (in Japanese).
-  S. Akagi and M. Yamamoto, “Water-soluble materials on volcanic ash from the 1990-94 eruption of the Unzenn volcano,” Okayama Univ. Earth. Sci. Rep., Vol.2, No.1, pp. 55-62, doi: 10.18926/ESR/13943, 1995 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  T. Kohno, “Gypsum from the surface of the Taisho and Syouwa lavas at Sakurajima, Kagoshima, southwest Japan,” Chigaku Kenkyu, Vol.52, No.2, pp. 95-102, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  T. Ohba, “Hydrothermal mineral-bearing volcanic products: Relationships with subvolcanic hydrothermal systems, and styles and patterns of their formation,” J. Geol. Soc. Japan, Vol.117, No.6, pp. 344-356, doi: 10.5575/geosoc.117.344, 2011 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  C. Kosztolanyi, J. Mullis, and M. Weidmann, “Measurements of the phase transformation temperature of gypsum-anhydrite, included in quartz, by microthermometry and Raman microprobe techniques,” Chem. Geol., Vol.61, No.1-4, pp. 19-28, doi: 10.1016/0009-2541(87)90022-2, 1987.
-  N. Miyaji and S. Oguchi, “Water-soluble components in the 1707 tephra of Fuji volcano,” Proc. Inst. Nat. Sci., Nihon. Univ., No.39, pp. 199-204 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  M. Yaguchi, A. Takagi, K. Fukui, and T. Ohba, “Introduction of geochemical techniques for the observation of volcanic activity of MRI,” Poster in Volcanol. Soc. Japan 2017 Fall Meet., P124, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  J. Hirabayashi, “Change of chemical composition of volcanic gas and volcanic activity,” Dr.Sci. Thesis, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 1984 (in Japanese).
-  M. Yaguchi, T. Ohba, and M. Sago, “The nature and source of the volcanic ash during the 2015 small phreatic eruption at Hakone Volcano, central Japan,” Geochem. J., Vol.53, No.3, pp. 209-217, doi: 10.2343/geochemj.2.0560, 2019.
-  J. Ossaka and T. Ozawa, “Observation of volcanic gas composition at Sakurajima volcano and its volcanic activity,” K. Kamo (Ed.), “Comprehensive survey report of Sakurajima Volcano,” Research Group for Natural Disaster Special Research, pp. 62-66, 1975 (in Japanese).
-  J. Hirabayashi, J. Ossaka, and T. Ozawa, “Relationship between volcanic activity and chemical composition of volcanic gases – A case study on the Sakurajima volcano,” Geochem. J., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 11-21, doi: 10.2343/geochemj.16.11, 1982.
-  K. Kazahaya, J. Hirabayashi, H. Mori, M. Odai, Y. Nakahori, K. Nogami, S. Nakada, H. Shinohara, and K. Uto, “Volcanic gas study of the 2000 Miyakejima volcanic activity: Degassing environment deduced from adhered gas component on ash and SO2 emission rate,” J. Geography, Vol.110, No.2, pp. 271-279, doi: 10.5026/jgeography.110.2_271, 2001 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  J. Ossaka, K. Nogami, and J. Hirabayashi, “Water-soluble components on volcanic ashes from Tokachi-dake Volcano, Hokkaido, Japan during the 1988–1989 eruption,” Bull. Volcanol. Soc. Japan, Vol.43, No.1, pp. 25-31, doi: 10.18940/kazan.43.1_25, 1998 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  M. Nakagawa, K. Nogami, Y. Ishizuka, M. Yoshimoto, R. Takahashi, E. Ishii, M. Egusa, J. Miyamura, T. Shiga, N. Okazaki, and S. Ishimaru, “The 2000 eruption of Hokkaido-Komagatake volcano and its significance: Evidence for increasing effect of magma deduced from temporal variations of eruptive materials and adhered gas component on ash,” Bull. Vol. Soc. Japan, Vol.46, No.6, pp. 295-304, doi: 10.18940/kazan.46.6_295, 2002 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Geochemical Party, Joint University Research Group, “A review on the geochemical observation associated with the volcanic activity of Unzen Volcano,” Bull. Vol. Soc. Japan, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 103-108, doi: 10.18940/kazan.37.2_103, 1992 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.