Sustainable Community Development for Disaster Resilience Using the Fukuzumi-Machi Method and Human Resources Development for Disaster Risk Reduction
Takeshi Sato*,, Aiko Sakurai*, Yuki Sadaike*, Yukiko Ouchi**, and Yasuo Sugawara**
*International Research Institute of Disaster Science (IRIDeS), Tohoku University
468-1-S304 Aza-Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8572, Japan
**Fukuzumi-machi Neighborhood Association, Miyagi, Japan
An overview of the “Fukuzumi-machi Fire and Disaster Drill & Experience Study Tour” held as a related event of the Sendai Symposium for Disaster Risk Reduction and the Future at the 2nd World Bosai Forum/International Disaster and Risk Conference in Sendai, organized in November 2019. In addition, by showing the activity model of sustainable community development for disaster resilience and human resources development for disaster risk reduction by the Fukuzumi-machi Neighborhood Association, we contribute to the global promotion of community-based independent and sustainable activities for disaster risk reduction.
-  A. Sakurai and T. Sato, “Promoting Education for Disaster Resilience and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 402-412, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2016.p0402, 2016.
-  A. Sakurai, T. Sato, and Y. Murayama, “Impact evaluation of a school-based disaster education program in a city affected by the 2011 great East Japan earthquake and tsunami disaster,” Int. J. of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol.47, 101632, doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101632, 2020.
-  T. Kobayashi, Y. Onoda, K. Hirano, and M. Ubaura, “Practical Efforts for Post-Disaster Reconstruction in the City of Ishinomaki, Miyagi,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 476-485, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2016.p0476, 2016.
-  M. Ishikawa, “A Study on Community-Based Reconstruction from Great East Japan Earthquake Disaster – A Case Study of Iwanuma City in Miyagi-Pref.,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 807-817, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2015.p0807, 2015.
-  T. Sato, A. Sakurai, Y. Sadaike, H. Konno, M. Horino, R. Yanagiya, and T. Mizoi, “Sustainable Community Development for Disaster Resilience and Human Resources Development for Disaster Risk Reduction – Katahira-Style Disaster Resilient Community Development –,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.13, No.7, pp. 1288-1297, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2018.p1288, 2018.
-  Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Topography classification map for flood control,” https://www.gsi.go.jp/bousaichiri/fc_index.html (in Japanese) [accessed April 22, 2020].
-  Y. Sugawara and A. Miyoshi, “Community development for disaster resilience by Fukuzumi-machi method,” Shinhyoron Publishing Inc., 2015 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sato, S. Masuda, and A. Shibayama, “Development of training program for disaster prevention promoters in Sendai city,” J. of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.15, No.7, pp. 474-484, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sato, A. Sakurai, T. Oda, and Y. Murayama, “Comparison of Community-Based Activities for Disaster Risk Reduction in Japan and United States – Case Study of Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and Sendaishi chiiki Bousai Leader (SBL) –,” J. of Social Safety Science, Vol.29, pp. 239-246, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  A. Sakurai and T. Sato, “Enhancing Community Resilience Through Capacity Development After GEJE: The Case of Sendaishi-chiiki Bousai Leaders (SBLs) in Miyagi Prefecture,” V. Santiago-Fandiño, S. Sato, N. Maki, and K. Iuchi (Eds.), “The 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Reconstruction and Restoration: Insights and Assessment after 5 Years,” pp. 113-126, Springer, 2017.
-  T. Sato, A. Shibayama, A. Sakurai, and S. Masuda, “Place-Based Activities of SENDAI BOSAI Leader for Disaster Risk Reduction,” Proc. of the 15th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symp., pp. 3059-3064, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sato, A. Sakurai, A. Shibayama, and S. Masuda, “Place-Based Activities of SENDAI BOSAI Leaders (SBLs) for Disaster Risk Reduction,” 17th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, 2020 (accepted).
-  Y. Ouchi, “Community development for disaster resilience based on multi-stakeholder cooperation,” Summaries of the 20th Annual Meeting in Yamagata of the Japanese Association of Safety Education, pp. 22-23, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kamimura, K. Tsutsui, N. Numano, and N. Konishi, “Community development using snow shoveling – from disaster risk reduction to community development –,” COMMONS, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kusakari, T. Mori, Y. Sadaike, and T. Sato, “Improvement of regional disaster prevention ability using disaster prevention stroll and archiving of regional information,” Proc. of AIJ Hokkaido Architectural Research Conf., Vol.91, pp. 487-490, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kusakari, T. Mori, Y. Sadaike, and T. Sato, “Creation of regional disaster prevention education site using LocalWiki – Targeting Fukuzumi Town, Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture –,” Proc. of AIJ Hokkaido Architectural Research Conf., Vol.92, pp. 379-382, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kusakari, T. Mori, Y. Sadaike, and T. Sato, “Creation of regional disaster prevention education site using LocalWiki Part 2: Disaster prevention activities in Fukuzumi-machi, Sendai City during Typhoon No.19 in 2019,” Proc. of AIJ Hokkaido Architectural Research Conf., Vol.93, 2020 (accepted) (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.