General Research Group for the Nankai Trough Great Earthquake
Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
The objective of the General Research Group for the Nankai Trough Great Earthquake is to obtain a cross-sectional view of research on the Nankai Trough Great Earthquake, conducted by the various working groups of the Earthquake and Volcano Hazards Observation and Research Program, and to thereby promote the Program’s research in a comprehensive manner. In this paper, we report on workshops held during a five-year period (2014–2018), and summarize the findings of the five-year plan following the Research Group’s scheme. We also discuss issues that surfaced during these activities.
-  S. H. Lee, K. Nishijima, S. Matsushima, M. Miyazawa, K. Mochizuki, T. Iidaka, K. Ueda, H. Kawase, and N. Maki, “Issues and Challenges in Seismic Risk Evaluation and its Uncertainty Reduction for the Nankai Trough Earthquake,” DPRI Annuals, No.60 B, pp. 354-365, 2017.
-  Y. Yokota, T. Ishikawa, M. Sato, S. Watanabe, H. Saito, N. Ujihara, Y. Matsumoto, S. Toyama, M. Fujita, T. Yabuki, M. Mochizuki, and A. Asada, “Heterogeneous interplate coupling along the Nankai Trough, Japan, detected by GPS-acoustic seafloor geodetic observation,” Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, Vol.2, Article No.10, doi:10.1186/s40645-015-0040-y, 2015.
-  The GEONET Group, Geographical Survey Institute, “GEONET (GPS Earth Observation Network System) and its Prospect,” J. of the Geodetic Society of Japan, Vol.50, No.2, pp. 53-65, 2004 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  Y. Yokota, T. Ishikawa, S. Watanabe, T. Tashiro, and A. Asada, “Seafloor geodetic constraints on interplate coupling of the Nankai Trough megathrust zone,” Nature, Vol.534, pp. 374-377, doi: 10.1038/nature17632, 2016.
-  T. Nishimura, Y. Yokota, K. Tadokoro, and T. Ochi, “Strain partitioning and interplate coupling along the northern margin of the Philippine Sea plate, estimated from Global Navigation Satellite System and Global Positioning System-Acoustic data,” Geosphere, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 535-551, doi: 10.1130/GES01529.1, 2018.
-  Y. Kaneda, K. Kawaguchi, E. Araki, H. Matsumoto, T. Nakamura, S. Kamiya, K. Ariyoshi, T. Hori, T. Baba, and N. Takahashi, “Development and application of an advanced ocean floor network system for megathrust earthquakes and tsunamis,” P. Favali, L. Beranzoli, and A. De Santis (Eds.), “Seafloor Observatories: A New Vision of the Earth from the Abyss,” pp. 643-662, Springer, 2015.
-  K. Kawaguchi, S. Kaneko, T. Nishida, and T. Komine, “Construction of the DONET real-time seafloor observatory for earthquakes and tsunami monitoring,” P. Favali, L. Beranzoli, and A. De Santis (Eds.), “Seafloor Observatories: A New Vision of the Earth from the Abyss,” pp. 211-228, Springer, 2015.
-  K. Suzuki, M. Nakano, N. Takahashi, T. Hori, S. Kamiya, E. Araki, R. Nakata, and Y. Kaneda, “Synchronous changes in the seismicity rate and ocean-bottom hydrostatic pressures along the Nankai trough: A possible slow slip event detected by the Dense Oceanfloor Network system for Earthquakes and Tsunamis (DONET),” Tectonophysics, Vol.680, pp. 90-98, doi: 10.1016/j.tecto.2016.05.012, 2016.
-  L. M. Wallace, E. Araki, D. Saffer, X. Wang, A. Roesner, A. Kopf, A. Nakanishi, W. Power, R. Kobayashi, C. Kinoshita, S. Toczko, T. Kimura, Y. Machida, and S. Carr, “Near-field observations of an offshore Mw 6.0 earthquake from an integrated seafloor and subseafloor monitoring network at the Nankai Trough, southwest Japan,” JGR Solid Earth, Vol.121, Issue 11, pp. 8338-8351, doi: 10.1002/2016JB013417, 2016.
-  K. Obara and A. Kato, “Connecting slow earthquakes to huge earthquakes,” Science, Vol.353, Issue 6296, pp. 253-257, doi: 10.1126/science.aaf1512, 2016.
-  K. Hattori and I. Nakanishi, “A Historical Record on the 1707 Hoei Earthquake and Hoei Eruption of Mt. Fuji: Discovery of the Missing Record on a Large Aftershock on the Next Morning of the Hoei Earthquake and a Collapse of Mt. Shiratori in the Northern Coastal Area of Suruga Bay and Consideration of the Published Reprints of the Record,” Zisin (J. of the Seismological Society of Japan, 2nd Ser.), Vol.70, pp. 41-55, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hattori and I. Nakanishi, “A Historical Record on the 1707 Hoei Earthquake and Hoei Eruption of Mt. Fuji (3): Tozan-Hongu-Ki Recording the 1703 Genroku Earthquake, 1707 Hoei Earthquake, and 1707 Hoei Eruption of Mt. Fuji,” Zisin (J. of the Seismological Society of Japan, 2nd Ser.), Vol.71, pp. 131-137, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hattori and I. Nakanishi, “Errata: A historical Record on the 1707 Hoei Earthquake and Hoei Eruption of Mt. Fuji (3): Tozan-Hongu-Ki Recording the 1703 Genroku Earthquake, 1707 Hoei Earthquake, and 1707 Hoei Eruption of Mt. Fuji,” Zisin (J. of the Seismological Society of Japan, 2nd Ser.), Vol.71, pp. 151-152, 2019 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsuji, K. Yamaoka, R. Ikuta, T. Kunitomo, T. Watanabe, Y. Yoshida, and A. Katsumata, “Secular and coseismic changes in S-wave velocity detected using ACROSS in the Tokai region,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.70, Article No.146, doi: 10.1186/s40623-018-0917-2, 2018.
-  K. Yamaoka, T. Kunitomo, K. Miyakawa, K. Kobayashi, and M. Kumazawa, “A trial for monitoring temporal variation of seismic velocity using an ACROSS system,” Island Arc, Vol.10, Issue 3-4, pp. 336-347, 2001.
-  T. Shibutani, M. Teraishi, S. Komatsu, K. Yamazaki, Y. Yamashita, T. Ohkura, S. Yoshikawa, M. Iguchi, T. Tameguri, and T. Sonoda, “Estimation of the Structure of the Philippine Sea Slab and its Surrounding Area Beneath Southern Kyushu by Seismological Methods,” DPRI Annuals, No.62 B, pp. 279-287 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  T. Furumura, “Risk of Long-period Ground Motion due to the Deep Basement Structure of the Kanto Basin,” J. of Geography (Chigaku Zasshi), Vol.123, No.4, pp. 434-450, 2014 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  S. Kawamoto, Y. Ohta, Y. Hiyama, M. Todoriki, T. Nishimura, T. Furuya, Y. Sato, T. Yahagi, and K. Miyagawa, “REGARD: A new GNSS-based real-time finite fault modeling system for GEONET,” JGR Solid Earth, Vol.122, Issue 2, pp. 1324-1349, doi: 10.1002/2016JB013485, 2017.
-  S. Kawamoto, N. Takamatsu, S. Abe, K. Miyagawa, Y. Ohta, M. Todoriki, and T. Nishimura, “Real-Time GNSS Analysis System REGARD: An Overview and Recent Results,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.13, No.3, pp. 440-452, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2018.p0440, 2018.
-  N. Takahashi, K. Imai, K. Sueki, R. Obayashi, M. Ishibashi, T. Tanabe, T. Baba, and Y. Kaneda, “Real-Time Tsunami Prediction System Based on Seafloor Observatory Data Applied to the Inland Sea, Japan,” Marine Technology Society J., Vol.52, No.3, pp. 120-127, 2018.
-  K. Asano, H. Sekiguchi, T. Iwata, M. Yoshimi, T. Hayashida, H. Saomoto, and H. Horikawa, “Modelling of wave propagation and attenuation in the Osaka sedimentary basin, western Japan, during the 2013 Awaji Island earthquake,” Geophysical J. Int., Vol.204, Issue 3, pp. 1678-1694, doi: 10.1093/gji/ggv543, 2016.
-  M. Chigira, “Deep-seated catastrophic landslides induced by large earthquakes along the Nankai and Sagami troughs,” JpGU-AGU Joint Meeting 2017, HDS17-05, 2017.
-  M. Takahashi, K. Muroi, and S. Tanaka (Eds.), “International Comparative Study on Mega-earthquake Disasters: Collection of Papers Vol.1,” Graduate School of Environmental Studies, Nagoya University, 135pp., ISBN: 9784904316139, 2016.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.