International Joint Research on Antifungal Resistant Fungi: Collaborative Studies with the University of Campinas, Brazil
Akira Watanabe and Katsuhiko Kamei
Medical Mycology Research Center, Chiba University
1-8-1 Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8673, Japan
Increasing of detection rate of antifungal-resistant fungi is a serious global concern in public health. As few epidemiological data on resistant fungi in Brazil have been available, we planned an international joint project with the University of Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil to research antifungal-resistant fungi. This project, supported by the SATREPS program of the Japanese government, started in fiscal 2017.
-  G. D. Brown et al., “Hidden killers: human fungal infections,” Sci Transl Med, Vol.4, pp. 165rv13, 2012.
-  P. G. Pappas et al., “Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Candidiasis: 2016 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America,” Clin Infect Dis, Vol.62, pp. e1-50, 2016.
-  T. F. Patterson et al., “Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Aspergillosis: 2016 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America,” Clin Infect Dis, Vol.63, pp. e1-60, 2016.
-  E. Snelders et al., “Triazole fungicides can induce cross-resistance to medical triazoles in Aspergillus fumigatus,” PLoS ONE, Vol.7, E31801, 2012.
-  C. L. Price et al., “Azole fungicides – understanding resistance mechanisms in agricultural fungal pathogens,” Pest Manag Sci, Vol.71, pp. 1054-1058, 2015.
-  K. J. Smith et al., “Azole resistance in Candida albicans,” J Med Vet Mycol, Vol.24, pp. 133-144, 1986.
-  B. D. Alexander et al., “Increasing echinocandin resistance in Candida glabrata: clinical failure correlates with presence of FKS mutations and elevated minimum inhibitory concentrations,” Clin Infect Dis, Vol.56, pp. 724-732, 2013.
-  S. Kathuria et al., “Multidrug-Resistant Candida auris Misidentified as Candida haemulonii: Characterization by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry and DNA Sequencing and Its Antifungal Susceptibility Profile Variability by Vitek 2, CLSI Broth Microdilution, and Etest Method,” J Clin Microbiol, Vol.53, pp. 1823-1830, 2015.
-  E. Vermeulen, K. Lagrou, and P. E. Verweij, “Azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: a growing public health concern,” Curr Opin Infect Dis, Vol.26, pp. 493-500, 2013.
-  J. W. Cheong and J. McCormack, “Fluconazole resistance in cryptococcal disease: emerging or intrinsic?,” Med Mycol, Vol.51, pp. 261-269, 2013.
-  D. Sanglard et al., “Mechanisms of resistance to azole antifungal agents in Candida albicans isolates from AIDS patients involve specific multidrug transporters,” Antimicrob Agents Chemother, Vol.39, pp. 2378-2386, 1995.
-  P. Marichal et al., “Contribution of mutations in the cytochrome P450 14alpha-demethylase (Erg11p, Cyp51p) to azole resistance in Candida albicans,” Microbiology, Vol.145, pp. 2701-2713, 1999.
-  M. E. Ferreira et al., “The ergosterol biosynthesis pathway, transporter genes, and azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus,” Med Mycol, Vol.43, Suppl.1, S313-S319, 2005.
-  S. J. Howard and M. C. Arendrup, “Acquired antifungal drug resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus: epidemiology and detection,” Med Mycol, Vol.49, Suppl.1, pp. S90-S95, 2011.
-  K. Kikuchi et al., “Antifungal susceptibility of Aspergillus fumigatus clinical isolates collected from various areas in Japan,” J Infect Chemother, Vol.20, pp. 336-338, 2014.
-  S. R. Lockhart et al., “Azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus isolates from the ARTEMIS global surveillance study is primarily due to the TR/L98H mutation in the Cyp51A gene,” Antimicrob Agents Chemother, Vol.55, pp. 4465-4468, 2011.
-  C. D. Pham et al., “Passive surveillance for azole-resistant Aspergillus fumigatus, United States, 2011-2013,” Emerg Infect Dis, Vol.20, pp. 1498-1503, 2014.
-  https://www.jst.go.jp/global/kadai/h2118_brazil.html [accessed July 10, 2018]
-  https://www.jst.go.jp/global/about.html [accessed July 10, 2018]
-  https://www.amed.go.jp/news/release_20160511_besshi01.html [accessed July 10, 2018]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.