Free-Flow Sediment Flushing: Insights from Prototype-Scale Studies
Taymaz Esmaeili*,, Tetsuya Sumi**, Sameh A. Kantoush**, and Yoji Kubota***
*Department of Civil Engineering, Gorgan Branch, Islamic Azad University
Gorgan 49147-39975, Iran
**Disaster Prevention Research Institute (DPRI), Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
***Hydro Technology Institute Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan
Free-flow sediment flushing operation offers viable means to preserve the storage capacity of dam reservoirs as the incoming flood erodes the flushing channel, and the deposited sediment is flushed from the reservoir. This method involves complex flow patterns and flushing channel formation procedures owing to the dynamic interaction between varying flow conditions (e.g., shallow and deep flows) and moveable bed variations notably when the non-uniform sediments exist in the complex geometry of reservoirs. In the present study, first, the numerical simulation of a previously conducted free-flow sediment flushing operation in the Dashidaira and the target segment of Unazuki reservoirs using the available field-measured data were presented. Then, to improve the flushing efficiency in the Dashidaira reservoir, the effects of using a groyne were studied. A fully 3D numerical model using the finite volume method in combination with a wetting/draying algorithm was utilized to reproduce the flow velocity field and morphological bed changes. While the characteristics of the flow field can be captured by the numerical model in Dashidaira and Unazuki reservoirs, simulated bed changes in upstream areas covered with the coarser materials (e.g., study zone of Unazuki reservoir) showed some discrepancies. The outcomes also revealed that implementing a groyne at the entrance of the wide midstream of Dashidaira reservoir can locally increase the sediment erosion chance from this area and thereby can improve the flushing efficiency by approximately 10%. Therefore, the risks associated with the accumulation of distorted sediments in the wide midstream of Dashidaira reservoir within a long-term period could be reduced.
-  G. M. Kondolf, Y. Gao, G. W. Annandale, G. L. Morris, E. Jiang, J. Zhang, Y. Cao, P. Carling, K. Fu, Q. Guo et al., “Sustainable sediment management in reservoirs and regulated rivers: Experiences from five continents,” Earth’s Future, Vol.2, pp. 256-280, 2014.
-  R. White, “Evacuation of Sediments from Reservoir,” Thomas Telford Publishing, 2001.
-  G. L. Morris and J. Fan,“Reservoir Sedimentation Handbook: Design and Management of Dams, Reservoirs and Watersheds for Sustainable Use,” McGraw-Hill, 1998.
-  H. W. Shen, “Flushing sediment through reservoirs,” J. Hydraul. Res., Vol.37, pp. 743-757, 1999.
-  T. Sumi and S. A. Kantoush, “Integrated management of reservoir sediment routing by flushing, replenishing, and bypassing sediments in Japanese river basins,” Proc. of the 8th Int. Symp. on Ecohydraulics, pp. 12-16, 2010.
-  J. Liu, S. Minami, H. Otsuki, B. Liu, and K. Ashida, “Prediction of concerted sediment flushing,” J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol.130, pp.1089-1096, 2004.
-  S. A. Kantoush, “Experimental Study on the Influence of the Geometry of Shallow Reservoirs on Flow Patterns and Sedimentation by Suspended Sediments,” Ph.D. Thesis, Écolé Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, 2008.
-  C. J. Sloff, H. R. A. Jagers, and Y. Kitamura, “Study on the channel development in a wide reservoir,” Proc. of the 2nd River Flow Conf., pp. 23-25, 2004.
-  S. Fukuoka, T. Sumi, and S. Horiuchi, “Sediment management on the arase dam removal project,” Proc. of the 12th Int. Symp. on River Sedimentation, pp. 1201-1209, 2013.
-  S. Fukuoka and T. Uchida, “Toward integrated multi-scale simulations of flow and sediment transport in rivers,” J. Jpn. Soc. Civ. Eng., Vol.69, pp. II_1-II_10, 2013.
-  S. Haun and N. R. B. Olsen, “Three-dimensional numerical modelling of the flushing process of the Kali Gandaki hydropower reservoir,” Lakes and Reserv., Vol.17, pp. 25-33, 2012.
-  A. Khosronejad, C. D. Rennie, A. A. Salehi Neyshabouri, and I. Gholami, “Three-dimensional numerical modeling of reservoir sediment release,” J. Hydraul. Res., Vol.46, pp. 209-223, 2008.
-  G. Harb, C. Dorfmann, J. Schneider, and H. Badura, “Numerical analysis of sediment transport processes during a flushing event of an Alpine reservoir,” Proc. of the 7th River Flow Conf., pp. 155-162, 2014.
-  F. Gallerano and G. Cannata, “Compatibility of Reservoir Sediment Flushing and River Protection,” J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol.137, pp. 1111-1125, 2011.
-  S. Haun and N. R. B. Olsen, “Three-dimensional numerical modelling of reservoir flushing in a prototype scale,” Int. J. River Basin Manag., Vol.10, pp. 341-349, 2012.
-  N. R. B. Olsen, “A Three Dimensional Numerical Model for Simulation of Sediment Movement in Water Intakes with Multiblock Option,” Department of Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology: Trondheim, 2014.
-  T. Esmaeili, T. Sumi, W. Y. Chang, and A. Vakili, “Application of steady flows for simulating the local scour depth under time varying flows,” Proc. of the 12th ISRS Conf., pp. 905-912, 2013.
-  S. Haun, H. Kjærås, S. Løvfall, and N. R. B. Olsen, “Three-dimensional measurements and numerical modelling of suspended sediments in a hydropower reservoir,” J. Hydrol., Vol.479, pp. 180-188, 2013.
-  T. Esmaeili, A. A. Dehghani, A. R. Zahiri, and K. Suzuki, “3D Numerical simulation of scouring around bridge piers (Case Study: Bridge 524 crosses the Tanana River),” World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol., Vol.58, pp.1028-1032, 2009.
-  T. Fischer-Antze, N. R. B. Olsen, and D. Gutknecht, “Three-dimensional CFD modeling of morphological bed changes in the Danube River,” Water Resour. Res., Vol.44, 2008.
-  N. Rüther and N. R. B. Olsen, “Modelling free-forming meander evolution in a laboratory channel using three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics,” Geomorphology, Vol.89, pp. 308-319, 2007.
-  S. Haun, C. Dorfmann, G. Harb, and N. R. B. Olsen, “Numerical modelling of the reservoir flushing of the bodendorf reservoir, Austria,” 2nd IAHR European Congress, Munich, Germany, 2012.
-  T. Esmaeili, T. Sumi, and S. A. Kantoush, “Experimental and numerical study of flushing channel formation in shallow reservoirs,” J. Jpn. Soc. Civ. Eng., Vol.70, pp. I_19–I_24, 2014.
-  S. A. Kantoush, T. Sumi, T. Suzuki, and M. Murasaki, “Impacts of sediment flushing on channel evolution and morphological processes: Case study of the Kurobe River, Japan,” Proc. of the 5th River Flow Conf., pp. 1165-1173, 2010.
-  S. Minami, K. Noguchi, H. Otsuki, H. Fukuri, N. Shimahara, J. Mizuta, and M. Takeuchi, “Coordinated sediment flushing and effect verification of fine sediment discharge operation in Kurobe River,” ICOLD Conf., 2012.
-  T. Sumi, “Evaluation of efficiency of reservoir sediment flushing in Kurobe River,” Proc. of the 4th Int. Conf. on Scour and Erosion, pp. 608-613, 2008.
-  B. E. Launder and D. B. Spalding, “Lectures in Mathematical Models of Turbulence,” Academic Press, 1972.
-  S. Patankar, “Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow,” Taylor & Francis, 1980.
-  N. R. B. Olsen and S. Haun, “Free surface algorithms for 3-D numerical modeling of flushing,” Proc. of the 5th River Flow Conf., pp. 1105-1110, 2010.
-  H. Schlichting, “Boundary Layer Theory,” McGraw-Hill, 1979.
-  L. C. Van Rijn, “Sediment transport, part III: Bed forms and alluvial roughness,” J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol.110, pp. 1733-1754, 1984.
-  L. C. Van Rijn, “Sediment transport, part II: Suspended load Transport,” J. Hydraul. Eng., Vol.110, pp. 1613-1641, 1984.
-  E. Meyer-Peter and R. Müller, “Formulas for bed load transport,” 2nd Meeting of the Int. Association for Hydraulic Structures Research, IAHR, 1948.
-  H. Brooks, “Boundary shear stress in curved trapezoidal channels,” J. Hydraul. Div. Am. Soc. Civ. Eng., Vol.89, pp. 327-333, 1963.
-  T. Esmaeili, T. Sumi, S. A. Kantoush, Y. Kubota, and S. Haun, “Numerical study on flushing channel evolution, case study of Dashidaira reservoir, Kurobe river,” J. Jpn. Soc. Civ. Eng., Vol.71, pp. I_115–I_120, 2015.
-  T. Esmaeili, T. Sumi, S. A. Kantoush, Y. Kubota, S. Haun, and N. Rüther, “Three-dimensional numerical study of free-flow sediment flushing to increase the flushing efficiency: a case-study reservoir in Japan,” Water, Vol.9, p. 900, 2017.
-  T. Sumi, S. Kantoush, T. Esmaeili, and G. Ock, “Reservoir sediment flushing and replenishment below dams: insights from Japanese case-studies,” Gravel-bed rivers: processes and disasters, D. Tsutsumi and J. B. Laronne eds., John Wiley & Sons, pp. 385-414, 2017.
-  S. A. Kantoush and A. J. Schleiss, “Channel formation in large shallow reservoirs with different geometries during flushing,” J. Environ. Technol., Vol.30, pp. 855-863, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.