Comparative Analysis of Mobile Space Statistics Data and Questionnaire Survey Data to Detect Tsunami Evacuation Behavior: Case of Fukushima Earthquake Tsunami in Ishinomaki City and Watari Town, Miyagi Prefecture
Naoki Togawa*, Shosuke Sato**,†, and Fumihiko Imamura**
*Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tohoku University
Aoba 468-1, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-0845, Japan
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
This paper investigates whether it is possible to determine shelter locations and congestion spots at the time of an event, by resorting to the recently anticipated use of mobile space data at the time of a disaster. This study focused on the earthquake and the resulting tsunami that occurred off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture on November 22nd, 2016. We verified whether it is possible to identify congestion spots and shelter locations by comparing with the results of a questionnaire survey conducted in a previous study on evacuation behavior at the time of the occurrence of earthquakes and tsunamis. As a result, we found that it is difficult to determine evacuation behaviors from the data, as raw mobile space data extracted several hours after the tsunami event only gave information on where spots’ populations ordinarily converge to. We were able to determine the locations where populations gather by taking into consideration time-based differences between the raw data obtained. It, however, proved difficult to obtain a good determination of congestion spots.
-  Y. Hada, N. Sekiya, and U. Hiroi, “Basic study regarding the survey on evacuation behavior beyond municipalities in the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake,” Procs. of the annual conference of the Institute of Social Safety Science, No.39, pp. 73-76, 2016.
-  M. Hatayama and K. Funakoshi, “Observations regarding the identification of shelters through big data analysis,” 19th Procs. of Japan Society for Disaster Information Studies, pp. 78-79, 2017.
-  Ishinomaki City, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Survey Research Center Co., Ltd.: Survey regarding the Tsunami Evacuation Behavior during the Off-Fukushima Earthquake of 22 November 2016 (full version), http://www.city.ishinomaki.lg.jp/cont/10106000/2707/zentaitban3.pdf [accessed March 9, 2018]
-  Watari Town, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Survey Research Center Co., Ltd.: Survey regarding the Tsunami Evacuation Behavior during the Off-Fukushima Earthquake of 22 November 2016 (full version), http://www.town.watari.miyagi.jp/index.cfm/24,36209,,html/3633209/20170512-133251.pdf [accessed September 22, 2017]
-  N. Togawa, S. Sato, F. Imamura, M. Iwasaki, M. Minakawa, K. Sato, K. Aizawa, and K. Yokoyama, “Effectiveness of Tsunami Evacuation Drill for Real Evacuation Behaivor – The Case of 2016.11.22 Fukushima Tsunami in City of Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture –,” Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineer, Vol.73, No.2, pp. I_1531-I_1536, 2017.
-  S. Sato, F. Imamura, M. Iwasaki, M. Minagawa, K. Sato, K. Aizawa, K. Yokoyama, and N. Togawa, “Evacuation Behavior Caused by The 2016 Fukushima Earthquake and Tsunami in Ishinomaki City,” Miyagi Prefecture, Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineer, Vol.73, No.2, pp. I_ 1603-I_1608, 2017.
-  N. Togawa, S. Sato, F. Imamura, T. Endo, M. Iwasaki, and M. Minagawa, “Evacuation Behavior Caused by the 2016 Fhukushima Earthquake and Tsunami in Watari Town, Miyagi Prefecture – Relationship with Experience of the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Evacuation Drill –,” Procs. of the annual conference of the Institute of Social Safety Science, No.41, pp. 177-47 180, 2017.
-  S. Sato, K. Imai, S. Ohno, M. Sai, T. Matsuo, H. Itahara, and F. Imamura, “A Planning Process of Tsunami Evacuation Plan for Local Government with Combination of Walking and Cars – Implementation in Watari Town,” Miyagi Prefecture –, Annual J. of Coastal Engineering, Japan Society of Civil Engineer, Vol.71, No.2, pp. I_1633-I_1638, 2015.
-  Konzatsu Toukei ®(Crowding Statistics), Data on Degree of Crowding, G-Spatial Information Center in Japan, https://www.geospatial.jp/ckan/dataset/zdckonzatsutoukeikonzat55 [accessed October 29, 2017]
-  Watari Town, Regional Disaster Prevention Planning Strategy, Tsunami Evacuation Plan, http://www.town.watari.miyagi.jp/index.cfm/24,27476,c,html/2758476/20140619-222512.pdf [accessed September 22, 2017]
-  Ishinomaki City, Evacuating from Tsunamis, Tsunami Evacuation Map, http://www.city.ishinomaki.lg.jp/cont/10106000/8238/0001/01_ishinomaki-n.pdf [accessed March 9, 2018]
-  S. Sato, K. Aizawa, K. Yokoyama, K. Sato, T. Endo, D. Takahashi, M. Iwasaki, M. Minagawa, N. Togawa, and F. Imamura, “Reality of Tsunami Evacuation associated with the Off-Fukushima Earthquake and Tsunami event of 22 November 2016: Perspective from a Study Focused on the Residents of Ishinomaki City and Watari Town,” 36th Annual Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science Conf. Meeting Abstracts, pp. 13-14, Sep. 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.