Study on Performance Evaluation of MEMS Sensors and Data Integration Methods for Expected Use to Determine Damage Degrees of Existing Structures
Tomohiro Sasaki†, Koichi Kajiwara, Takuzo Yamashita, and Takuya Toyoshi
National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED)
1501-21 Mitsuta, Shijimi-cho, Miki, Hyogo 673-0515, Japan
The shake table test of small-scaled steel frame structure was conducted using large-scale earthquake simulator at the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience (NIED) in Tsukuba, Ibaragi. This paper presents the performance evaluation of Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) type accelerometers, which are recently being used in various fields, comparing with the conventional servo type accelerometers. In addition, this paper discussed the integration method of the measured acceleration into displacements, which is suitable for structural damage evaluation due to strong earthquakes.
-  C. R. Farrar and K. Worden, “An Introduction to Structural Health Monitoring,” Philosophical Trans. of the Royal Society A, Vol.365, pp. 303-315, 2006.
-  J. P. Lynch, “An Overview of Wireless Structural Health Monitoring for Civil Structures,” Philosophical Trans. of the Royal Society A, Vol.365, pp. 345-372, 2006.
-  J. P. Lynch and K. J. Koh, “A Summary Review of Wireless Sensors and Sensor Networks for Structural Health Monitoring,” The Shock and Vibration Digest, Vol.38, No.2, pp. 91-128, 2006.
-  M. D. Trifunac, “Zero Baseline Correction of Strong-Motion Accelerograms,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.61, No.5, pp. 1201-1211, 1971.
-  G. V. Berg and G. W. Housner, “Integrated Velocity and Displacement of Strong Earthquake Ground Motion,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.51, No.2, pp. 175-189, 1961.
-  T. Yamashita, “Preliminary Analysis for Shake Table Test of Small-Scaled Steel Frame Using Detailed FEM,” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting 2016 (Structure III), AIJ, pp. 701-702, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hirose and A. Kondo, “Special Issues No.3 Measurement Technique for Ergonomics, Section 1-2 Measurement of Body Motion – Motion Measurements by Inertial Sensors –,” J. of Japan Ergonomics, Vol.50, No.4, pp. 182-190, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  W. R. Hamilton, “On Quaternions; or on a New System of Imaginaries in Algebra,” Philosophical Magazine, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 489-495, 1844.
-  A. M. Sabatini, “Quaternion-Based Extended Kalman Filter for Determining Orientation by Inertial and Magnetic Sensing,” IEEE trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.53, No.7, pp. 1346-1356, 2006.
-  Y. Ohsaki, “New Introduction of Spectrum Analysis for Earthquake,” Kajima Institute Publishing, ISBN 9784306032705, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  A. Papulis, “The Fourier Integral and Its Applications,” McGraw-Hill, 1962.
-  T. Sasaki, D. Sato, R. Suzuki, H. Tagawa, A. Aoi, and K. Kajiwara, “Verification of Displacement Integrated from Measured Acceleration on Shake Table Experiment of Full-Scale Gymnasium Specimen,” AIJ J. Technol. Des. Vol.23, No.54, pp. 427-432, Jun., 2017 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.