An Analytical Study on Intentions of Disaster Prevention Expert Candidates
Toru Futagami†, Tsuyoshi Hatori, and Netra P. Bhandary
Bunkyo-cho 3, Matsuyama 790-8577, Japan
Increase in number of disaster prevention experts in various fields of our society has led to greater expectations for their activities as local disaster prevention leaders. It may be of interest as well as necessary to understand what motivates people to become a disaster prevention expert. In this study, we first compare altruistic motivation levels of disaster prevention experts program attendees with those of general public for locality-based disaster mitigation plan, and then discuss appropriateness of such possibility. In addition, on the basis of the knowledge of social psychology, altruistic motivation and related awareness of both groups are also comparatively discussed.
-  Japan Bousaisi Organization, http://bousaisi.jp/ [accessed January 9, 2017]
-  H. Yamamoto, T. Katsumi, S. Matsumura, S. Takano, and D. Tsutsumi, “Current conditions and future issues of the training of disaster prevention experts (translated by authors),” Journal of Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science, Vol.26, No.3, pp. 233-265, 2007.
-  T. Katada and M. Kanai, “The School Education to Improve the Disaster Response Capacity : A Case of “Kamaishi Miracle”,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 845-856, 2016.
-  S. H. Schwartz, “Normative influences on altruism,” in L. Berkowitz (Ed.) “Advances in experimental psychology,” Vol.10, New York: Academic Press, pp. 222-280, 1977.
-  S. Fujii, “Prescription for Social Dilemmas: Psychology for Urban, Transportation, and Environmental Problems,” Springer, 2017.
-  Y. Hirose, “Determinants of environment-conscious behavior,” Japanese Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 44-55, 1994.
-  P. Slovic, “Perception of risk,” Science, Vol.236, pp. 280-285, 1987.
-  E. Aronson, “The Social Animal,” (6th Ed.), San Francisco: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1992.
-  H. Tajfel, “Differentiation Between Social Groups: Studies in the Social Psychology of Intergroup Relations,” London: Academic Press, 1981.
-  J. Kato, H. Ikeuchi, and H. Nonami, “The influences of local-environment focused goal intention and environmental-problem focused goal intention on environment-conscious behavior : Local decision-making process regarding a river,” Japanese Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 134-143, 2004.
-  K. Takahashi, “Item Characteristics of the Organizational Commitment Scale and its Application : Based on the Allen and Meyer Three-Dimensional Commitment Scale,” Japanese Journal of Administrative Science, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 123-135, 1997.
-  M. Granovetter, “The strength of weak ties,” American Journal of Sociology, Vol.78, No.6, pp. 1360-1380, 1973.
-  E. G. Clary, M. Snyder, R. D. Ridge, J. Copeland, A. A. Stukas, J. Haugen, and P. Miene, “Understanding and assessing the motivations of volunteers: A functional approach,” Journal of Personality and Psychology, Vol.74, No.6, pp. 1516-1530, 1998.
-  T. Motoyoshi, K. Takao, and S. Ikeda, “Determinant factors of community-based disaster preparedness: A case study of flood prone area,” Japanese Journal of Psychology, Vol.75, No.1, pp. 72-77, 2004.