Exploring Elements of Disaster Prevention Consciousness: Based on Interviews with Anti-disaster Professionals
Miki Ozeki*,†, Kan Shimazaki**, and Taiyoung Yi**
*Tokyo International University
2509 Matoba, Kawagoe, Saitama, Japan
**National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, Ibaraki, Japan
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, TEAM Bousai Japan, https://bosaijapan.jp/ [accessed Jan. 19, 2017]
-  Y. Arai, T. Motoyoshi, Y. Matsui, M. Saido, H. Shimzu, I. Takenaka, Y. Tanaka, Y. Fukuoka,H. Hori, and K., Mizuta, “Development of disaster prevention consciousness scale,” 47th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society of Social Psychology, pp. 702-703, 2005.
-  M. Konomatsu and A. Nakakita, “The actual state of disaster prevention education in schoolchildren, junior high school students, high school students and university students of northern Wakayama Prefecture,” Bulletin of the Center for Educational Research and Training, Wakayama University, Vol.20, pp. 133-142, 2010.
-  T. Motoyoshi, K. Takao, and S. Ikeda, “Determinant factors of residents’ acceptance of flood risk,” Japanese Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.20, pp. 58-67, 2004.
-  K. Yamori, “Disaster prevention and local communities,” in M. Karasawa and Y. Muramoto (Eds.), Current Social Psychology, Vol.3, Tokyo :Seishin Shobo, pp. 187-207, 2011.
-  The Society for handing lessons of 1. 17 Kobe down to the Next Generation, “Records of Kobe, the disaster area of the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake,” Tokyo: Gyosei, 1996.
-  Y. Hata, A. Sakai, H. Ichinose, and K. Ishida, “Assessment of a practical disaster exercise for students in elementary and junior high school: Results on application of the earthquake early warning,” Journal of social safety science, Vol.26, pp. 1-8, 2015.
-  K. Charmaz, “Grounded theory: Obejectivist and constructivist methods,” In N.K.Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), “Strategies of qualitative inquiry,” (2nd ed., pp. 249-291), London: Sage Publications Limited, 2003.
-  K. Charmaz, “Constructing grounded theory: A practical guide through qualitative analysis,” London: Sage Publications Limited, 2006.
-  M. Sugiura, S. Sato, R. Nouch, A. Honda, T. Abe, T. Muramoto, and F. Imamura, “Eight personal characteristics associated with the power to live with disasters as indicated by survivors of the 2011 Great east Japan earthquake disaster,” PLoS ONE, Vol.10, No.7, e0130349. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0130349, 2011.
-  Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology-Japan, “The final report of Meeting of experts on Disaster Education Disaster Management which received the Great East Japan Earthquake, 2012, http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/chousa/sports/012/toushin/1324017.htm [accessed Jan. 29, 2017]
-  T. Motoyoshi, K. Takao, and S. Ikeda, “Determinants of household- and community-based disaster preparedness,” Japanese Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.23, pp. 209-220, 2008.
-  T. Watanabe, “Trials in communities five years after the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake: Group dynamics of preventing disaster without saying disaster prevention,” Japanese Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.39, pp. 188-196, 1999.
-  M. Noda, “Does affective forecasting change motivation for disaster preparedness? Motivation one month after a hypothetical earthquake,” Revista de Psicología Social, Vol.31, No.1, pp. 109-136, 2016.
-  J.-P. Mulilis and T. S. Duval, “Negative threat appeals and earthquake preparedness: A Person-relative-to-Event (PrE) Model of coping with threat,” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.25, No.15, pp. 1319-1339, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1995.tb02620.x, 1995.
-  J.-P. Mulilis and T. S. Duval, “The PrE Model of coping and tornado preparedness: Moderating effects of responsibility,” Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.27, pp. 1750-1766, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1997.tb01623.x, 1997.
-  R. W. Rogers, “Cognitive and physiological processes in fear appeals and attitude change: A revised theory of protection motivation,” In J. T. Cacioppo and R.E. Petty (Eds.), “Social psychophysiology,” New York: Guilford Press, pp.153-176, 1983.
-  T. Motoyoshi, “Developing self-efficacy in disaster prevention,” 431st Meeting of Social Psychologist in Kansai, 2016 (unpublished).
-  A. M. Morrison and A. M. Catanzaro, “High-fidelity simulation and emergency preparedness,” Public Health Nursing, Vol.27, No.2, pp.164-173, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2010.00838.x, 2010.
-  D. Paton, “Disaster preparedness: a social-cognitive perspectives,” Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 210-216, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09653560310480686, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.