A Systematic Review of the Factors Affecting the Cyclone Evacuation Decision Process in Bangladesh
Md. Nasif Ahsan*,**,***,†, Kuniyoshi Takeuchi*, Karina Vink*, and Miho Ohara*
*International Centre for Water Hazard and Risk Management (ICHARM)
under the auspices of UNESCO, Public Works Research Institute
1-6 Minamihara, Tsukuba 305-8516, Ibaraki, Japan
**National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS), Disaster Management Program (DMP)
***Economics Discipline, Khulna University, Bangladesh
-  N. Dash and H. Gladwin, “Evacuation decision-making and behavioral responses: Individual and household,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 10.1061/(ASCE), Vol.3, No.69, pp. 1527-6988, Aug. 2007.
-  M. K. Lindell and R.W. Perry, “The Protective Action Decision Model: Theoretical Modifications and Additional Evidence,” Risk Anal., doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01647.x, 2012.
-  D. S. Mileti and P. W. O’Brien, “Warnings during Disaster: Normalizing Communicated Risk,” Social Problems, doi: 10.2307/3096912, 1992.
-  M. N. Ahsan, K. Takeuchi, K. Vink, and J. Warner, “Factors affecting the evacuation decisions of coastal households during Cyclone Aila in Bangladesh,” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.1080/17477891.2015.1114912, 2016.
-  B. K. Paul and S. Dutt, “Hazard warnings and responses to evacuation orders: The case of Bangladesh’s cyclone Sidr,” Geographical Review, doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2010.00040.x, 2010.
-  B. K. Paul, H. Rashid, M. S. Islam, and L. M. Hunt, “Cyclone evacuation in Bangladesh: Tropical cyclones Gorky (1991) vs. Sidr (2007),” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.3763/ehaz.2010.SI04, 2010.
-  S. K. Paul and J. K. Routray, “Household response to cyclone and induced surge in coastal Bangladesh: coping strategies and explanatory variables,” Nat. Haz., doi: 10.1007/s11069-010-9631-5, 2011.
-  S. K. Paul and J. K. Routray, “An Analysis of the Causes of Non-Responses to Cyclone Warnings and the Use of Indigenous Knowledge for Cyclone Forecasting in Bangladesh,” in: W. Leal Filho, (Ed.), “Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management,” Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 15-39, 2013.
-  E. J. Baker, “Hurricane evacuation behavior,” Int. J. of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 1991.
-  N. Dash and B. H. Morrow, “Return delays and evacuation order compliance: The case of Hurricane Georges and the Florida Keys,” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.1016/S1464-2867(01)00008-0, 2000.
-  S. K. Huang, M. K. Lindell, C. S. Prater, H. C. Wu, and L. K. Siebeneck, “Household evacuation decision-making in response to hurricane Ike,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 2012.
-  J. H. Sorensen, “Hazard warning systems: Review of 20 years of progress,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988, Vol.2, No.119, Jan. 2000.
-  C. Garcia and C. J. Fearnley, “Evaluating critical links in early warning systems for natural hazards,” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.1080/17477891.2011.609877, 2012.
-  D. S. Mileti and J. H. Sorensen, “Communication of emergency public warnings: A social science perspective and state-of-the-art assessment,” ORNL-6609, Dept. of Energy, Oak Ridge National Lab., Tenn, 1990.
-  S. Hanson, J. D. Vitek, and P. O. Hanson, “Natural disaster: long range impact on human response to future disaster threats,” Environment and Behavior, 1979.
-  C. E. Haque, “Climatic hazards warning process in Bangladesh: Experience of, and lessons from, the 1991 April cyclone,” Environmental Management, doi: 10.1007/BF02471954, 1995.
-  R. Mesa-Arango, S. Hasan, S. V. Ukkusuri, and P. Murray-Tuite, “Household-level model for hurricane evacuation destination type choice using Hurricane Ivan Data,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000083, 2013.
-  B. K. Paul, “Factors Affecting Evacuation Behavior: The Case of 2007 Cyclone Sidr, Bangladesh,” Professional Geographer, doi: 10.1080/00330124.2011.609780, 2012.
-  J. H. Sorensen and B. V. Sorensen, “Community Processes: Warning and Evacuation,” in: H. Rodriguez, E. L. Quarantelli, and R. R. Dynes, (Eds.), “Handbook of Disaster Research,” Springer New York, pp. 183-199, 2007.
-  S. N. Wilson and J. P. Tiefenbacher, “The barriers impeding precautionary behaviours by undocumented immigrants in emergencies: The Hurricane Ike experience in Houston, Texas, USA,” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.1080/17477891.2011.649711, 2012.
-  K. Dow and S. L. Cutter, “Emerging hurricane evacuation issues: Hurricane Floyd and South Carolina,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2002)3, Vol.1, No.12, 2002.
-  C. E. Haque, “Atmospheric hazards preparedness in Bangladesh: A study of warning, adjustments and recovery from the April 1991 Cyclone,” Nat. Haz., 1997.
-  J. M. Nigg, “Risk communication and warning systems,” in: T. Horlick-Jones, A. Amendola, and R. Casale, (Eds.), “Natural risk and civil protection,” E & FN Spon, London, pp. 369-382, 1995.
-  GoB, “CPP Structure,” Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief (MoDMR), Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh, http://www.cpp.gov.bd/content.php?id=CPP_Structure [accessed June 19, 2014]
-  GoB, “Cyclone Emergency Preparedness Plan, Bangladesh (in Bengali),” Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief (MoDMR), Government of Peoples’ Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, http://old.ddm.gov.bd/pdf/Small%20size%20Emergency%20Preparedness%20Plan_Cyclone_DDM_%20March.pdf [accessed December 3, 2014]
-  C. Bern, J. Sniezek, G. M. Mathbor, M. S. Siddiqi, C. Ronsmans, and A. M. R. Chowdhury et al., “Risk factors for mortality in the Bangladesh cyclone of 1991,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 1993.
-  EM-DAT, “Top 10 natural disasters in Bangladesh from 1900-2014,” The Int. Disaster Database, Centre for Research on the Epidomology of Disasters (CRED), Luven, http://www.emdat.be/result-country-profile [accessed February 25, 2014]
-  GoB, “Cyclone Sidr in Bangladesh: Damage, loss, and needs assessment for disaster recovery and reconstruction,” Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh, http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/F2FDFF067EF49C8DC12574vDC00455142-Full_Report.pdf [accessed January 16, 2014]
-  World Bank, “World Bank Study on Woman Empowerment,” http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2011/11/28/empower-women-better-prepared-climate-change-says-world-bank-study [accessed March 13, 2015]
-  UNDP, “Cyclone Aila: Joint UN multi-sector assessment and response framework,” United Nations Development Program, Dhaka, http://www.scribd.com/doc/79662690/Aila-UN-Assessment-Framework-FINAL [accessed April 22, 2013]
-  I. Burton, R. W. Kates, and G. F. White, “The environment as hazard,” Oxford University Press, New York, 1978.
-  U. Meissen, and A. Voisard, “Current state and solutions for future challenges in early warning systems and alerting technologies,” in, “Advanced ICTs for Disaster Management and Threat Detection: Collaborative and Distributed Frameworks,” pp. 108-130, 2010.
-  A. S. Dhar and M. A. Ansary, “Community-based evaluation for the development of a sustainable disaster early warning system,” J. of Emergency Management, 10.5055/jem.2012.0106, 2012.
-  M. K. Lindell, J. E. Kang, and C. S. Prater, “The logistics of household hurricane evacuation,” Nat. Haz., doi: 10.1007/s11069-011-9715-x, 2011.
-  L. Sjöberg, “Factors in Risk Perception,” Risk Anal. doi: 10.1111/0272-4332.00001, 2000.
-  L. Sjöberg and A. Biel, “Mood and belief-value correlation,” Acta Psychologica, doi: 10.1016/0001-6918(83)90007-0, 1983.
-  K. J. Tierney, “Sociology’s unique contributions to the study of risk,” University of Delaware, http://udspace.udel.edu/handle/19716/589 [accessed March 22, 2015] beginfigure*[t!] centering bf LargeAppenddix A. List of documents used for content analysis
includegraphics[width=1.00textwidth]./fig/Table3.eps labelTable3 endfigure*
-  J.-P. Mulilis, and T.S. Duval, “The PrE Model of Coping and Tornado Preparedness: Moderating Effects of Responsibility,” J. of Applied Social Psychology, doi: 10.1111/j.1559-1816.1997.tb01623.x, 1997.
-  N. D. Weinstein, “Optimistic biases about personal risks,” Science, doi: 10.1126/science.2686031, 1989.
-  N. D. Weinstein, “The precaution adoption process,” Health Psychology, 1988.
-  S. Breznitz, “Cry wolf: The psychology of false alarms,” Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ, 1984.
-  K. Dow and S. L. Cutter, “Crying wolf: Repeat responses to hurricane evacuation orders,” Coastal Management, doi: 10.1080/08920759809362356, 1998.
-  GoB, “Cyclone shelter construction, maintainance and management policy 2011 (in Bengali),” Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, Government of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, www.dmrd.gov.bd/index.php?option= com_ docman&task= doc_ do wnload&gid= 536&Itemid= 236 [accessed August 14, 2014].
-  Nirapad, “Cyclone Aila,” http://www.nirapad.org.bd/admin/situation_report/1371883106_3_Cyclone%20Aila_24.05.2009.pdf [accessed July 25, 2014]
-  C. Roy, S. K. Sarkar, J. Åberg, and R. Kovordanyi, “The current cyclone early warning system in Bangladesh: Providers’ and receivers’ views,” Int. J. of Disaster Risk Reduct., doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2015.02.004, 2015.
-  S. Akter and B. Mallick, “The poverty-vulnerability-resilience nexus: Evidence from Bangladesh,” Ecological Economics, doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2013.10.008, 2013.
-  M. Nadiruzzaman and B. K. Paul, “Post-Sidr public housing assistance in Bangladesh: A case study,” Environmental Hazards, doi: 10.1080/17477891.2012.759523, 2013.
-  P. Slovic, “Perception of risk,” Science, 1987.
-  E. Alam and A. E. Collins, “Cyclone disaster vulnerability and response experiences in coastal Bangladesh,” Disasters, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7717.2010.01176.x, 2010.
-  K. Ikeda, “Gender Differences in Human Loss and Vulnerability in Natural Disasters: A Case Study from Bangladesh,” Indian J. of Gender Studies, doi: 10.1177/097152159500200202, 1995.
-  C. E. Haque and D. Blair, “Vulnerability to tropical cyclones: evidence from the April 1991 cyclone in coastal Bangladesh,” Disasters, 1992.
-  B. K. Paul, “Why relatively fewer people died? The case of Bangladesh’s cyclone sidr,” Nat. Haz., doi: 10.1007/s11069-008-9340-5, 2009.
-  C. E. Haque, “Perspectives of natural disasters in East and South Asia, and the Pacific Island States: Socio-economic correlates and needs assessment,” Nat. Haz., doi: 10.1023/A:1024765608135, 2003.
-  NOAA, “An overview of NHC prediction models,” http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ssd/nwpmodel/html/nhcmodel.htm [accessed April 11, 2016]
-  M. R. Dove and M. H. Khan, “Competing constructions of calamity: The April 1991 Bangladesh cyclone,” Population and Environment, doi: 10.1007/BF02209425, 1995.
-  A. Bandura, “Social cognitive theory of self-regulation,” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 1991.
-  H. Gladwin, J. K. Lazo, B. H. Morrow, W. G. Peacock, and H. E. Willoughby, “Social science research needs for the hurricane forecast and warning system,” Nat. Haz. Rev., 10.1061/(ASCE): Vol.3, No.87, pp. 1527-6988, Aug. 2007.
-  ADRC (Asian Disaster Reduction Center), “Cyclone Prediction and Forecasting, Weather Warning System and Dissemination Methods: The Bangladesh Perspective,” Kobe, http://www.adrc.asia/publications/TDRM2005/TDRM_Good_Practices/PDF/PDF-2005e/Chapter3_3.3.2-1.pdf [accessed April 7, 2015]
-  S.K. Debsarma, Cyclone forecasting and its constraints for the Bay of Bengal, Weather and Constraints of Weather Forecasting in Respective Country of the SAARC Region, SAARC Meteorological Research Center (SMRC), Dhaka, 1999.
-  S. Gopalakrishnan, Q. Liu, T. Marchok, D. Sheinin, N. Surgi, M. Tong, et al., Hurricane Weather Research and Forecasting (HWRF) model: 2011 scientific documentation. in: E. L. Bernardet, (Ed.), NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory and CIRES/University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2011, p.82.
-  BNNRC, “Community radio in Bangladesh,” http://www.bnnrc.net/network/communityradioinbangladesh [accessed November 25, 2014]
-  GoB, “Mobile phone subscribers in Bangladesh,” Bangladesh Telecommunication and Regulatory Commission (BTRC), Dhaka, http://www.btrc.gov.bd/facts-and-stats [accessed April 7, 2015].
-  U. Haque, M. Hashizume, K. N. Kolivras, H. J. Overgaard, B. Das, and T. Yamamoto, “Reduced death rates from cyclones in Bangladesh: what more must be done?,” Bull World Health Organ, doi: 10.2471/BLT.11.088302, 2012.
-  E. Van Kleef, A. R. H. Fischer, M. Khan, and L. J. Frewer, “Risk and benefit perceptions of mobile phone and base station technology in Bangladesh,” Risk Anal., doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2010.01386.x, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.