Report of “Geopark on Stricken Areas: Disasters and Gifts of Geo”
Miwa Kuri*1, Ikuko Miyahara*2, Shosuke Sato*1, Mahito Watanabe*3, and Kazuyuki Nakagawa*4
*1International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University
6-6-11 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8578, Japan
*2School of Project Design, Miyagi University, Miyagi, Japan
*3The National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Ibaraki, Japan
*4Jiji Press, Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
We hosted a public forum on the theme of geoparks in disaster-stricken areas at the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction. It was found that the participants shared a common understanding that the important tasks of a geopark are to provide content based on the advantages of viewing the two aspects of nature – namely, disasters and gifts – from a common perspective, and to create a network supporting the expert knowledge needed for this content and the skills to convey such knowledge.
-  M. Watanabe and Committee for next millennium vision of Geoparks in Japan, “Next millennium vision for Geoparks in Japan,” Abstracts, Jan Geoscience Union Meeting, O022-12, 2011.
-  M. Kuri, H.Taniguchi, M. Ehiro, and I. Miyahara, “Concept for Geopark of Southern Sanriku Coast with the disaster experience” Abstracts, Jan Geoscience Union Meeting, M-IS32, 2013.
-  M. Kuri, H. Taniguchi, I. Miyahara, M. Ehiro, Y. Abe, M. Tanaka, T. Hashimoto, Y. Tashiro, and K. Onuma, “Concept for Geopark of Southern Sanriku Coast: Application for scientific and social education,” Programme and Abstracts, the Volcanological Society of Japan, p. 105, 2013.
-  H. Taniguchi, I. Miyahara, Y. Tashira, M. Tanaka, D. Sugawara, and MSC Geopark Preparatory Committee, “The concept of Minami Sanriku Coast Geopark and disaster ruins,” Programme and Abstracts, the Volcanological Society of Japan, p. 5, 2013.
-  I. Miyahara, H. Taniguchi, M. Ehiro, M. Kuri, and MSC Geopark Preparatory Committee, “Local recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake by geo-tourism – The Concept of Minami Sanriku Coast Geopark – (abs.),” Proc. of the General Meeting of the Association of Japanese Geographers, No.85, p. 63, 2014.
-  D. Nagai, K. Matsushima, H. Shimizu, S. Sugimoto, and K. Terai, “Promoting of education about volcanic disaster and the application of geopark on the Shimabara Peninsula,” Programme and Abstracts, the Volcanological Society of Japan, p. 170, 2009.
-  M. Eguchi, S. Sugimoto, and D. Yoshida, “Report on Geopark guide training course in Unzen volcanic area geopark,” Abstracts, Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, p. A004 P014, 2009.
-  S. Sugimoto, “The Unzen Volcanic Area Geopark: A new approach of regional development though Geopark,” Abstracts, Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, p. A004-012, 2009.
-  S. Sugimoto, “The attraction of Unzen Volcanic Area Geopark The various geological heritages and blessings from volcano,” Chikyu Monthly, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 550-556, 2009.
-  S. Sugimoto ,“Education about volcanoes on the Unzen Volcanic Area Global Geopark,” Programme and Abstracts, the Volcanological Society of Japan, p. 11, 2010.
-  D. Nagai, K. Matsushima, H. Shimizu, S. Sugimoto, and K. Terai, “Education about volcanic disaster and the application of geopark on the Unzen Volcano,” Programme and Abstracts, the Volcanological Society of Japan, p. 137, 2010.
-  S. Sugimoto, “Geopark and Volcanic hazards,” Abstracts, Japan Geoscience Union Meeting, 2011.
-  S. Sato, “Frontier trend of the activities for disaster tradison – based on the case of traning camp for disaster tradition –,” Research of Folk-Narrative of Japan, No.38, pp. 42-51, 2015.
-  M. Nakagawa, K. Ogarta, S. Sato, S. Sato, and C. Fujima, “Development of Experience-based Disaster Education Utilizing Information Communication Technology – Practical activity of “Ishinomaki Tour – Remembering 3.11 –” in the Affected City of the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake Disaster –,” Research of Socual Safety Science, No.26, 2015 (in press).
-  H. Ito, M. Suzuki, R. Sato, S. Sugimoto, and H. Seki, “Marketing Research by Internet Qestionary for Sanriku Geopark,” J. of Geography (Chigaku Zasshi), Regular Issue, Vol.124, No.4, pp. 561-574, 2015.
-  Y. Mori, G. Yoshizawa, “Current Situation of Synthetic Biology in Japan,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.6, No.5, pp. 476-481, 2011.
-  M. Kuri and Y. Murakami, “Harf Acdemic: Mode 2 science and Careerpaths of reserachers,” Abstracts, Jan Geoscience Union Meeting, G-HE030-P05, 2010.
-  Y. Jibiki, S. Kure, M. Kuri, and Y. Ono, “Analysis of early warning systems: The case of super-typhoon Haiyan,” Int. J. of Disaster Risk Reduction,” Vol.15, pp. 24-28, 2016.
-  A. Hisamatsu, S. Yamada, S. Watanabe, R. Kaneko, F. Makinoshima, Y. Akido, T. Mochizuki, N. Yoshida, A. Mishima, M. Kuri, F. Imamura, and H. Hiroo, “Development and Enlightenmen of Disaster Mitigation Action Card Game as Active leaning tool,” Research Report of Tsunami Engineering, Vol.32, pp. 301-317, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.