Shear Characteristics of Seismic Retrofitting Cylindrical Walls in Nuclear Power Plants
Hideyoshi Watanabe*, Hideo Ono**, Yoko Yasutomi***, and Takeshi Okamura***
*Technology Center, Taisei Corporation
344-1 Nase-cho, Totsuka-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 245-0051, Japan
**Design Division, Taisei Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
***Nuclear Power Division, Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc., Fukui, Japan
To improve the earthquake resistance of antiseismic cylindrical walls of existing nuclear power plants, new seismic retrofitting method is planned in which concrete is poured on one side of the wall after installing additional rebars and shear connectors, to produce a monolithic structure with increased thickness. The loading tests were carried out to verify the validity of this reinforcement method. The specimens consisted of two types: one in which the amounts of inner and outer reinforcements of the doubly arranged wall reinforcements were varied, simulating the retrofitted condition, and one for comparison, in which the inner and outer steel reinforcements were evenly distributed. The experimental results showed no substantial differences in the behaviors of the two specimens up to the ultimate state, each displaying roughly equivalent shear strength.
-  For instance, K. Akino et al., “Model Tests for Restoring Force Characteristics of Reactor Buildings: Part 1-7,” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting Architectural Institute of Japan, C, pp. 957–970, Oct. 1982.
-  S. Yoshizaki et al., “Model Tests for Restoring Force Characteristics of Reactor Buildings: Part6 Scale Effect Test,” Summaries of Technical Papers of Annual Meeting Architectural Institute of Japan, C, pp. 1089–1090, Aug. 1986.
-  Japan Nuclear Energy Safety, “Verification Test for Seismic Analysis Code, Model Tests of Multi-Axis Loading on RC Shear Walls,” March 2002, http://www.nsr.go.jp/archive/jnes/gijyutsu/itakujigyo /2002textunderscore nupec. html [accessed December, 2015]
-  Nuclear Standard Committee, “Technical Code for Seismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants (JEAC4601-2008)” Japan Electric Association, 2009.
-  H. Ono, Y. Kitada, K. Shintani, and T. Nishikawa, “Analytical Study on Strength and Ductility of 3-Dimensional Shear Wall Subjected to Horizontal Two Directional Loading,” Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering (Transactions of AIJ), No.585, pp. 139–146, Nov. 2004.