Mechanism of Volcanic Tephra Falling Detected by X-Band Multi-Parameter Radar
Satoru Oishi*1, Masahiro Iida*2, Masahide Muranishi*2, Mariko Ogawa*2, Ratih Indri Hapsari*3 and Masato Iguchi*4
*1Research Center for Urban Safety and Security, Kobe University
1-1 Rokkodai, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
*2Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, Japan
*3Department of Civil Engineering, State Polytechnic of Malang, Indonesia
*4Sakurajima Volcano Research Center, Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Japan
-  K. Ishihara, “Evaluation of Eruption Potential,” Annuals of Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, No.49 C, pp. 61-68, 2006.
-  Y. Nakano, T. Shimizu, T. Yamakoshi, H. Kisa, and T. Ishizuka, “Application of DInSAR technique to estimating an area and a thickness of volcanic ash using ALOS/PALSAR,” Journal of the Japan Society of Erosion Control Engineering, Vol.66, No.4, 2013 (in Japanese, accepted).
-  T. Miwa, A. Toramaru, and M. Iguchi, “Correlations of volcanic ash texture with explosion earthquakes from vulcanian eruptions at Sakurajima volcano, Japan,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, pp. 473-484, 2009.
-  M. Hirano and M. Hikida, “A Study on the Method for Estimation of the Amount of Erupted and Deposited Volcanic Ash,” Natural Disaster Science, Vol.7 No.1, pp. 26-36, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  F. S. Marzano, E. Picciotti, M. Montopoli, and G. Vulpiani, “Inside Volcanic Clouds – Remote Sensing of Ash Plumes Using Microwave Weather Radars – ,” Bulletin of American Meteorological Society, pp. 1567-1586, 2013.
-  T. Kozono, T. Miwa, M. Maki, T. Maesaka, D. Miki, and M. Iguchi, “PARSIVEL Tephra-fall Observations at Sakurajima Volcano,” Annuals of Disas. Prev. Res. Inst., Kyoto Univ., No.58B, pp. 86-90, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  FURUNO ELECTRIC CO., LTD, FURUNO’s meteorological monitoring and analyzing system, http://www.furuno.com/ en/systems/meteorological-monitoring [accessed August 28, 2013]
-  W. I. Rose, A. B. Kostinski, and L. Kelley, “Real-time C band radar observations of 1992 eruption clouds from Crater Peak, Mount Spurr volcano, Alaska,” The 1992 eruptions of Crater Peak vent, Mount Spurr volcano, Alaska, USGS Bulletin, No.2139, pp. 19-26, 1995.
-  M. Maki, K. Iwanami, R. Misumi, R. J. Doviak, T. Wakayama, K. Hata, and S. Watanabe, “Observation of volcanic ashes with a 3-cm polarimetric radar,” Proc. 30th Int. Conf. on Radar Meteor., Munich, Germany, Amer. Meteor. Soc., P5.13, 2001.
-  F. S. Marzano, G. Vulpiani, and W. I. Rose, “Microphysical characterization of microwave radar reflectivity due to volcanic ash clouds,” IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol.44, pp. 313-327, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.