Disaster Education for Elementary School Students Using Disaster Prevention Pocket Notebooks and Quizzes
Rui Nouchi*1,*2,*3, Shosuke Sato*4, and Fumihiko Imamura*4,*5
*1Creative Interdisciplinary Research Division, Frontier Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Science, Tohoku University
4-1 Seiryo-cho, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
*2Human and Social Response Research Division, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Japan
*3Smart Ageing International Research Center, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Tohoku University, Japan
*4Disaster Information Management and Public Collaboration Division, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Japan
*5Hazard and Risk Evaluation Research Division, International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Japan
-  R. Shaw, Y. Takeuchi, Q. R. Gwee, and K. Shiwaku, “Disaster education: an introduction,” in “Disaster Education,” R. Shaw, K. Shiwaku, and Y. Takeuchi (Eds.), Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Bingley, pp. 1-22, 2011.
-  M. Petal, “Education in disaster risk reduction,” In “Disaster management: Global challenges and local solutions,” R. Shaw and R. R. Krishnamurthy (Eds.), Hyderabad, India: University Press, pp. 285-320, 2009.
-  S. Sato, M. Sugiura, R. Nouchi, T. Muramoto, T. Abe, A. Honda, M. Iwasaki, and F. Imamura, “An Exploratory Study of ‘Zest for Living in Disaster”: Based on Interview in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake Disaster,” Journal of social safety science, Vol.23, pp. 1-9, 2014.
-  S. Sato, T. Ono, M. Okada, Y. Kobayashi, and F. Imamura, “An analysis of ‘Zest for Living in Disaster,’ in Young Generation: Workshop Survey to Tagajo High School Students Affected in the 2011 East Japan Earthquake Disaster,” Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Institute of Social Safety Science, Vol.35, pp. 21-24, 2014.
-  M. Sugiura, S. Sato, R. Nouchi, A. Honda, T. Abe, T. Muramoto, and F. Imamura, “Power to live with disasters: Eight personal characteristics suggested by the survivors of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake,” PLoS ONE, Vol.10, pp. e0130349, 2014.
-  D. Alexander, “Scenario methodology for teaching principles of emergency management,” Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.9, pp. 89-97, 2000.
-  R. Nouchi and M. Sugiura, “Beneficial effects of learning with game-book on education for disaster prevention in children,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.9, pp. 1079-1087, 2014.
-  I. Inagaki, S. Oishi, K. Sunada, and M. Yumoto, “Study of comprehenced of children’s memory constitution for disaster prevention education using a video-story,” Journal of Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science, Vol.27, pp. 401-413, 2009.
-  I. Inagaki, S. Oishi, K. Sunada, and M. Yumoto, “Study of the effect of disaster prevention education to pupils with considering regionality,” Journal of Japan Society for Natural Disaster Science, Vol.28, pp. 357-369, 2010.
-  J. Toyosawa, K. Karasawa, and N. Fukawa, “Effects of disaster education for elementary schoolchildren on their guardians’ disaster preparedness action: Change in children’s affect and cognition,” The Japanese Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.58, pp. 480-490, 2010.
-  P. Haring, D. Chakinska, and U, Ritterfield, “Understanding Severe Gaming: A Psychological Perspective,” In “Handbook of Research on Improving Learning and Motivation through Educational Games: Multidisciplinary Approaches,” P. Felicia (Ed.), Pennsylvania: IGI Global, pp. 413-430, 2011.
-  B. J. Zimmerman, “Becoming a self-regulated learner: Which are the key subprocesses?” Contemporary Educational Psychology, Vol.11, pp. 307-313, 1986.
-  B. J. Zimmerman, “A social cognitive view of self-regulated academic learning.” Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.81, pp. 329-339, 1989.
-  S. Jarvela and H. Jarvenoja, “Socially constructed self-regulated learning and motivation regulation in collaborative learning groups,” Teachers College Record, Vol.113, pp. 350-374, 2011.
-  B. J. Zimmerman, “Investigating self-regulation and motivation: Historical background, methodological developments, and future prospects,” American Educational Research Journal, Vol.45, pp. 166-183, 2008.
-  C. A. Wolters, “Regulation of motivation: Contextual and social aspects,” Teachers College Record, Vol.113, pp. 265-283, 2011.
-  R. N. Carney and J. R. Levin, “Pictorial illustrations still improve students’ learning from text,” Educational Psychology Review, Vol.14, pp. 5-26, 2002.
-  H. Shimada and M. Kitajima, “Why do illustrations promote comprehension of manuals? Effects of motivation and elaboration,” Japanese Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol.56, pp. 474-486, 2008.
-  T. Motoyoshi, K. Takao, and S. Ikeda, “Determinants of household- and community based disaster preparedness,” Japanese Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.23, pp. 209-220, 2008.
-  J. K. Kiecolt and J. M. Nigg, “Mobility and perception of a hazardous environment,” Environment & Behavior, Vol.14, pp. 131-154, 1982.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.