Voluntary Isolation After the Disaster: The Loss of Community and Family in the Super Aged Society in Japan
Kanako Sasaki and Miyako Sakurai
6-3-09 Aramaki aza Aoba, Sendai, Japan
In the four years since the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, the number of local elderly persons who live alone in temporary housing has increased. In fact, elderly persons are willing to remain in temporary housing, isolating themselves from family members to join comforting community. This research focuses on why these elderly persons have chosen to isolate themselves.
-  Japanese communist party, “The number of dying alone has reached over 1000,” Akahata Newspaper, Jan. 17, 2013 (in Japanese), http:// www.jcp.or.jp/akahata/aik12/2013-01-17/2013011704textunderscore 02textunderscore 1.html [accessed March 1 2014]
-  Kyodo Tsushin, “Building therapy center to support the surviors in Kashiwazaki,” 2007, Kyodo news Aug 18 (in Japanese), http://www.47news.jp/CN/200708/CN2007081801000087.html [accessed March 10, 2015]
-  The Japan Agriculture News, “Spending end of the year and new year alone at the temporary housing,” Dec. 27, 2013 (in Japanese), http://www.agrinews.co.jp/modules/pico/index.php?contenttextunderscore id=25240 [accessed March 1, 2015]
-  M. Tanaka, R. Sinehara, and K. Maruyama, “Disaster Vulnerability and Information vlunability,” Tokyo Chikuma publishing Japan, pp. 20-30, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  T. Shinuya, “The Great East Earthquake,” Hiroenterprise series, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  Town of Namie, summery of ADR petition by defense counsle (in Japanese), http://www.town.namie.fukushima.jp/uploaded /mboxattachment/1914.pdf [accessed March 1, 2015]
-  Y. Ishikawa “Are the temporary housing the Ubasute of Port Kobe?” Tokyo Chuoukoron, Vol.113, No.3, pp. 222-235, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  E. Ito, “Learning from history, women and resiliance-Showa Sanriku Tsunami and family community” (in Japanese), http://www.iwate-pu.ac.jp/contribution/ [accessed April 15, 2015]
-  K. Miyaji, “Miracle of Kamaishi and the code of Tsunamitendenko,” Sankei news, March 10, 2014 (in Japanese), http://www.sankei.com/life/news/140310/lif1403100041-n1.html [accessed April 15, 2015]