Applying Risk Analysis to the Disaster Impact of Extreme Typhoon Events Under Climate Change
Hsin-Chi Li*, Shiao-Ping Wei*, †, Chao-Tzuen Cheng*, Jun-Jih Liou*, Yung-Ming Chen*, and Keh-Chia Yeh**
*1National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction (NCDR)
9F., No.200, Sec.3, Beixin Rd., Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
**Department of Civil Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
-  Taiwan Climate Change Projection and Information Platform (TCCIP) Project Report, Vol.2, NSC 98-2625-M-492-011, 2010.
-  W. S. Li, K. C. Yeh, C. C. Lin, C. L. Hsieh, C. C. Wen, Y. L. Yeh, L. S. Shie, L. G. Chen, S. J. Li, and Y. W. Wang, “Exploration and analysis regarding the aftermath of typhoon Morakot research project report,” National Science Council, NSC 98-2625-M-492-010, 2010.
-  M. W. Shih, “Simulation study on applying 2D inundation model for three drainage systems in Chang-Hua County,” Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Department of Soil and Water Conservation, National Chung Hsing University, 2006.
-  T. G. Ko, C. T. Yeh, C. H. Wu, and Y. M. Wang, “Identifying potential floods in low-lying urban areas and operating flood detention ponds,” University of Science and Technology Beijing-National Pingtung University of Science and Technology Conf. Vol.28, No.S2, pp. 148-151, 2006.
-  L. F. Chang and M. T. Su, “The application of spatial data for damage estimations of floods,” Journal of Chinese Agricultural Engineering Vol.47, No.1, pp. 20-28, 2011.
-  M. H. Hsu, “North embankment flooding and a flood forecast model for the Ba-Zhang river basin (2),” Research Program Report, National Science Council, 1996.
-  C. Y. Tang, P. C. Hsieh, and L. L. Lin, “The application of FLO-2D and HEC-GeoRAS for simulating the flooding in Na-Hu creek caused by typhoon Mindulle,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, Vol.39, No.1, pp. 87-96, 2007.
-  C. Y. Tang, P. C. Hsieh, and L. L. Lin, “The Application of FLO-2D and HEC-GeoRAS for simulating the flooding in Na-Hu Creek caused by typhoon Mindulle,” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Vol.40, No.4, pp. 455-467, 2007.
-  S. L. Chan, S. L. Huang, and S. H. Wang, “On the risk zoning of flood hazards in Taipei areas,” City and Planning, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 263-280, 2003.
-  C. T. Tsai, P. S. Yu, N. F. Chou, and T. Y. Shr, “Applying geographical information systems in flood warnings (1, 2, 3, 4),” Research Project Report, Water Resources Agency, Taiwan, 1993-1996.
-  C. L. Yen, Y. P. Tsai, L. C. Chen, M. S. Hsu, M. L. Lin, and C. H. Lo, “National disaster prevention technology program – Plan Report,” 1997.
-  L. Fita, J. Ferna’ndez, and M. Garci’a-Di’ez, “CLWRF: WRF modifications for regional climate simulation under future scenarios,” Preprints, 11th WRF Users’ Event, Vol.26, 2010.
-  N. S. Grigg and O. J. Helweg, “State-of-the-art of estimating flood damage in urban areas,” Water Resources Bulletin, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 379-390, 1975.
-  IPCC, “Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report,” Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007.
-  J. R. Ni, H. W. Zhang, A. Xue, S. Wieprecht, A.G.L., and Borthwick, “Modeling of hyper-concentrated sediment-laden floods in Lower Yellow River,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol.130, No.10, pp. 1025-1032, 2004.
-  K. F. Liu, H. C. Li, and Y. C. Hsu, “Debris flow hazard assessment with numerical simulation,” Natural Hazards, Vol.49, No.1, pp. 137-161, 2009.
-  H. C. Li, “A household loss model for Debris flow,” Journal of Social and Regional Development, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 29-52, 2010.
-  H. C. Li, Y. L. Kuo, D. Shaw, and T. H. Huang, “The Household Benefits Assessment of the flood reduction plan in a flood-prone Area: A Case Study of Sinwen, Chiayi, Taiwan,” Agricultural and Resources Economics, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 41-58, 2008.
-  S. C. Liu, F. Congbin, C. J. Shiu, J. P. Chen, and F. Wu, “Temperature dependence of global precipitation extremes,” Geophysical Research Letters, Vol.36, L17702, 2009.
-  H. Murakami, B. Wang, and A. Kitoh, “Future changes in the western North Pacific typhoons: Projection with a 20-km-mesh global atmospheric model,” J. Climate, Vol.24, pp. 1154-1169, 2011.
-  WLtextbar Delft Hydraulics, “SOBEK Software User’s Manual,” Delft, the Netherlands, 2006.
-  D. Dutta and T. Tingsanchali, “Development of loss functions for urban flood risk analysis in Bangkok,” The University of Tokyo, 2003.
-  P. A. Grossi, H. Kunreuther, and D. Windeler, “An introduction to catastrophe models and insurance,” Springer Science, 2005.
-  F. Messner F and V. Meyer, “Flood damage, vulnerability and risk perception - challenges for flood damage research,” Springer, 2006.
-  S. Schneiderbauer and D. Ehrlich, “Risk hazard and people’s vulnerability to natural hazards – a review of definitions, concepts and data,” European Commission Joint Research Centre, 2004.
-  D. Shaw, H. H. Huang, and M. Horng, “Modeling flood loss and risk perception: The case of typhoon Nari in Taipei,” Beijing, China, 2005.
-  D. Shaw, H. H. Huang, M. J. Horng, M. M. Lu, and Y. L. Lo, “A probabilistic flood risk analysis of household losses in the Danshuei river basin,” Taiwan Economic Forecast and Policy, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 31-53, 2007.
-  R. Y. Wang, S. P. Cheng, and H. Y. Huang, “Hazard risk analysis of typhoon damages in urban areas,” Journal of Chinese Agricultural Engineering, Vol.48, No.2, pp. 1-16, 2002.
-  R. Y. Wang, S. P. Cheng, and M. D. Su, “Establishment of systematic models for flood damage evaluation (1/2),” Water Resource Agency, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan, 2002.
-  R. Mizuta, H. Yoshimura, H. Murakami, M. Matsueda, H. Endo, T. Ose, K. Kamiguchi, M. Hosaka, M. Sugi, S. Yukimoto, S. Kusunoki, and A. Kitoh, “Climate simulations using the improved MRI-AGCM with 20-km grid,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 90A, pp. 235-260, 2012.
-  A. Kitoh, T. Ose, K. Kurihara, S. Kusunoki, M. Sugi, and KAKUSHIN Team-3 Modeling Group, “Projection of changes in future weather extremes using super-high-resolution global and regional atmospheric models in the KAKUSHIN Program: Results of preliminary experiments,” Hydrological Research Letters, Vol.3, pp. 49-53, 2009.
-  S. Kusunoki, R. Mizuta, and M. Matsueda, “Future changes in the East Asian rain band projected by global atmospheric models with 20-km and 60-km grid size,” Climate Dynamics, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.