Cross-Organizational Information Sharing and Coordination in Disaster Response: The Case of the 2008 Wenchuan China Earthquake
Enyan Wang*, Dequan Zheng**, and Xiangyang Li**
*School of Management, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2#, West Wenhua Road, Weihai, China
**School of Management, Harbin Institute of Technology, 92#, XiDaZhi Street, Harbin, China
-  Fire and Disaster Management Agency (Sep 1. 2014), available at: http://www.fdma.go.jp/bn/higaihou/pdf/jishin/150.pdf [accessed December 26, 2014]
-  A. Koresawa, “Evidence-based analysis of search and rescue operations following the Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8, No.sp, pp. 746-755, 2013.
-  I. Junglas and B. Ives, “Recovering IT in a disaster: Lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina,” MIS Quarterly Executive, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 39-51, 2007.
-  K. Sapountzaki, S. Wanczura, G. Casertano, S. Greiving, G. Xanthopoulos, and F. F. Ferrara, “Disconnected policies and actors and the missing role of spatial planning throughout the risk management cycle,” Natural Hazards, Vol.59, pp. 1445-1474, 2011.
-  G. Preece, D. Shaw, and H. Hayashi, “Using the Viable System Model (VSM) to structure information processing complexity in disaster response,” European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.224. No.1, pp. 209-218, 2013.
-  M. Y. Cheng and Y. W. Wu, “Multi-agent-based data exchange platform for bridge disaster prevention: a case study in Taiwan,” Natural Hazards, Vol.69, pp. 311-326, 2013.
-  J. M. Schraagen and M. Huis, “Information sharing during crisis management in hierarchical vs. network,” Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 117-127, 2010.
-  S. M. Taohidul Islam and Z. Chik, “Disaster in Bangladesh and management with advanced information system,” Disaster Prevention and Management: An Int. Journal, Vol.20, No.5, pp. 521-530, 2011.
-  J. K. Lee, H. Bharosa, J. Yang et al., “Group value and intention to use-A study of multi-agency disaster management information systems for public safety,” Decision Support Systems, Vol.50, pp. 404-414, 2011.
-  H. Jing and Y. M. Xi, “Review and advance of research on organization coordination theory,” Management Review, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 50-56, 2006.
-  T. M. Yang and T. A. Maxwell, “Information-sharing in public organizations: A literature review of interpersonal, intra-organizational and inter-organizational success factors,” Government Information Quarterly, Vol.28, pp. 164-175, 2011.
-  B. Balcik, B. M. Beamon, C. C. Krejci, et al., “Coordination in humanitarian relief chains: Practices, challenges and opportunities,” Int. J. Production Economics, Vol.126, pp. 22-34, 2010.
-  L. Hossain and S.Uddin, “Design patterns: coordination in complex and dynamic environments,” Disaster Prevention and Management: An Int. Journal, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 336-350, 2012.
-  L. Comfort and N. Kapucu, “Inter-organizational coordination in extreme events: The World Trade Center attacks, September 11, 2001,” Natural Hazards, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 309-327, 2006.
-  H. De Bruijn, “One fight, one team: The 9/11 commission report on intelligence, fragmentation and information,” Public Administration, Vol.84. No.2, pp. 267-287, 2006.
-  B. Otjacques, P. Hitzelberger, and F. Feltz, “Interoperability of E-government information systems: Issues of identification and data sharing,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.23, No.4, pp. 29-51, 2007.
-  D. Helbing, H. Ammoser, and K. Kuhnert, “Information flows in hierarchical networks and the capability of organizations to successfully respond to failures, crises, and disasters,” Physica A, Vol.363, pp. 141-150, 2006.
-  I. Helsloot, “Bordering on reality: Findings on the bonfire crisis management simulation,” Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, Vol.13, No.4, pp. 159-169, 2005.
-  N. Bharosa, J. K. Lee, and M. Janssen, “Challenges and obstacles in sharing and coordinating information during multi-agency disaster response Propositions from field exercises,” Inf Syst Front, No.12, pp. 49-65, 2010.
-  R. McMaster and C. Baber, “Multi-agency operations: Cooperation during flooding,” Applied Ergonomics, Vol.43, pp. 38-47, 2012.
-  I. Aedo, P. Díaz, J. M. Carroll, et al., “End-user oriented strategies to facilitate multi-organizational adoption of emergency management information systems,” Information Processing and Management, Vol.46, pp. 11-21, 2010.
-  Xinhua News Agency, “Advances in Sichuan Wenchuan earthquake relief situation (September 11th,” 2008a, available at: http://news. xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2008-09/11/contenttextunderscore 9923910.htm [accessed February 15, 2014]
-  X. B. Liu, “Perfectting emergency management command decision-making system -- Based on the rescue and relief Wenchuan earthquake as an example,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on emergency management, pp. 95-102, 2010.
-  L. G. Fan and Z. Y. Liu, “The structure of information flow from the chain to the information flow network information flows in supply chain,” Business Economics Review, No.5, pp. 54-56, 2003.
-  Changjiang News, “A girl suggested a aerodrome reference place via QQ (May 9),” 2008, available at: http://news.cjn.cn/dsrd /200805/t644027textunderscore 1.htm [accessed December 30, 2014]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.