Local People’s Responses to Flood Disasters in Flood Prone Areas of Northeast Bangladesh
Naoki Yamashita* and Terunori Ohmoto**
*Water Resources & Energy Department, Nippon Koei Co., Ltd., 5-4 Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-8539, Japan
**Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
-  Science Council of Japan, “Recommendations from Science Council of Japan (SCJ) : with confident steps towards reconstruction,” pp. 3-13, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  MLIT, “Recommendations to the national land development for disaster-resistant (Saigai ni Tsuyoi Machizukuri heno Teigen),” pp. 17-19, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Schuyt and L. Brander, “Living waters, the economic values of the world’s wetlands,” WWF, p. 5, 2004.
-  N. Yamashita and T. Ohmoto, “Flood mitigation effects and sedimentation of wetland in Kushiyara River Basin, northeast region of Bangladesh,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B1 (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.69, No.4, I_1-I_6, pp. I_1525-I_1530, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Muramoto, J. Matsumoto, M. Oya, T. Oka, and T. ODa, “Survey of flood damage due to heavy rainfall in Bangladesh in monsoon season, 1987,” Sponsored by Ministry of Education, Japan, No.-B-62-5, pp. 94-117, 1988 (in Japanese).
-  H. Uchida and K. Ando, “Floods in Bangladesh: Farmers” adaptability and national policy,” Asian and African Area Studies, Vol.3, Nos. 3-34, KURENAI, Kyoto University Research Information Repository, pp. 7-18, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  PWRI, “Factor analysis for water related disaster in Bangladesh (Bangladesh ni okeru mizusaigai ni kansuru youin bunseki,” Technical Note of PWRI, No.4052, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  K. M. N. Islam, “Impacts of urban floods from micro-macro level perspectives, a case study of Bangladesh,” LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, pp. 22-26, pp. 48-49, 2011.
-  N. Sultana and M. I. Rayhan, “Coping strategies with floods in Bangladesh: An empirical study,” Natural Hazard, pp. 1209-1218, 2012.
-  R. Hoque, D. Nakayama, H. Matsuyama, and J. Matsumoto, “Flood monitoring, mapping and assessing capacities using RADARSAT remote sensing, GIS and ground data for Bangladesh,” Nat Hazards, Vol.57, pp. 525-548, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.