Dynamical Downscaling for Assessment of the Climate in Ghana
Masaru Inatsu*1, Tsubasa Nakayama*1, Yoshie Maeda*2,*3,
and Hirotaka Matsuda*3,*4
*1Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, N10W8, Kita, Sapporo 060-0810, Japan
*2Japan Weather Association, 3-1-1 Higashi-Ikebukuro, Toshima, Tokyo 170-6055, Japan
*3Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113-8654, Japan
*4Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277-8561, Japan
Dynamical downscaling (DDS), in which a regional atmospheric model (RAM) experiment nested into coarser-resolution data provides a spatio-temporal fine dataset for a particular region, was performed to assess the present climate in Ghana. The DDS successfully evaluated realistic seasonal march and inter-annual variability in rainfall, in comparison with gauge and satellite observation. The DDS also indicated that land-lake and land-sea circulation interacted with the West African monsoon likely characterized the local climate in Ghana.
-  S. E. Nicholson, “TheWest African Sahel: A review of recent studies on the rainfall regime and its interannual variability,” Hindawi Publishing Corporation, pp. 32, 2013.
-  H. Nguyen, C. D. Thorncroft, and C. Zhang, “Guinean coastal rainfall of the West African monsoon,” Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc., Vol.137, pp. 1828-1840, 2011.
-  Y. Okumura and S. P. Xie, “Interaction of the Atlantic equatorial cold tongue and the African monsoon,” J. Climate, Vol.17, pp. 3589-3602, 2004.
-  S. E. Nicholson, “A revised picture of the structure of the “monsoon” and land ITCZ over West Africa,” Clim. Dyn., Vol.32, pp. 1155-1171, 2009.
-  C. D. Thorncroft, H. Nguyen, C. Zhang, and P. Peyrille, “Annual cycle of the west African monsoon: regional circulations and associated water vapour transport,” Quart. J. Roy. Met. Soc., Vol.137, pp. 129-147, 2011.
-  S. E. Nicholson, “The intensity, location and structure of the tropical rainbelt over west Africa as factors in interannual variability,” Int. J. Climatol., Vol.28, pp. 1775-1785, 2008.
-  A. Giannini, R. Saravanan, and P. Chang, “Oceanic forcing of Sahel rainfall on interannual to interdecadal time scales,” Science, Vol.302, pp. 1027-1030, 2003.
-  M. P. Hoerling, J. W. Hurrell, J. Eischeid, and A. Phillips, “Detection and attribution of 20th century northern and southern African rainfall change,” J. Climate, Vol.19, pp. 3989-4008, 2006.
-  H. F.M. Semazzi and L. Sun, “The role of orography in determining the Sahelian climate,” Int. J. Climatol., Vol.17, pp. 581-596, 1997.
-  G. Wang and E. A. B. Eltahir, “Ecosystem dynamics and the Sahel drought,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.27, pp. 795-798, 2000.
-  G. Gu, R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, and S. Curtis, “African easterly waves and their association with precipitation,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.109, pp. D04101, 2004.
-  M. B. Ba and S. E. Nicholson, “Analysis of convective activity and its relationship to the rainfall over the rift valley lakes of East Africa during 1983-90 using the meteosat infrared channel,” J. Appl. Meteor., Vol.37, pp. 1250-1264, 1998.
-  F. Giorgi and L. O. Mearns, “Introduction to special section: regional climate modelling revisited,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.104, pp. 6335-6352, 1999.
-  M. B. Sylla, A. Dell’Aquilla, P. M. Ruti, and F. Giorgi, “Simulation of the intraseasonal and the interannual variations of rainfall over West Africa with RegCM3 during the monsoon period,” Int. J. Climatol., Vol.30, pp. 1865-1883, 2010.
-  E. A. Afeiesimama, J. S. Pal, B. J. Abiodun,W. J. G. Jr., and A. Adedoyin, “Simulation of West African monsoon using the RegCM3. Part I: Model validation and interannual variability,” Theor. Appl. Climarol., Vol.86, pp. 23-37, 2006.
-  A. Konare, A. S. Zakey, F. Solmon, F. Giorgi, S. Rauscher, S. Ibrah, and X. Bi, “A regional climate modeling study of the effect of desert dust on the Western African monsoon,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.113, pp. D2206, 2008.
-  A. L. Steiner, J. S. Pal, S. A. Rauscher, J. L. Bell, N. S. Diffenbaugh, A. Boone, L. C. Solan, and F. Giorgi, “Land surface coupling in regional climate simulations of the West Africa monsoon,” Clim. Dyn., Vol.33, pp. 869-892, 2009.
-  P. van der Linden and J. F. B. Mitchell (Eds.), “ENSEMBLES: Climate Change and its Impacts: Summary of research and results from the ENSEMBLES project,” Met Office Hadley Centre, FitzRoy Road, Exeter EX1 3PB, UK, 160pp., 2009.
-  S. Y.Wang, R. R. Gillies, E. S. Takle, and W. J. Gutowski, “Evaluation of precipitation in the Intermountain Region as simulated by the NARCCAP regional climate models,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.36, pp. L11704, 2009.
-  N. N. Ishizaki, I. Takayabu, M. Ohizumi, H. Sasaki, K. Dairaku, S. Iizuka, F. Kimura, H. Kusaka, S. A. Adachi, K. Kurihara, K. Murazaki, and K. Tanaka, “Improved Performance of Simulated Japanese Climate with a Multi-Model Ensemble,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Vol.90, pp. 235-254, 2012.
-  F. Giorgi, C. Jones, and G. R. Asrar, “Addressing climate information needs at the regional level: the CORDEX framework,” WMO Bull., Vol.58, pp. 175-183, 2009.
-  R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, A. Chang, R. Ferraro, P. Xie, J. Janowiak, B. Rudolf, U. Schneider, S. Curtis, D. Bolvin, A. Gruber, J. Susskind, and P. Arkin, “The Version 2 Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) Monthly Precipitation Analysis (1979-Present),” J. Hydrometeor., Vol.4, pp. 1147-1167, 2003.
-  K. Onogi, J. Tsutsui, H. Koide, M. Sakamoto, S. Kobayashi, H. Hatsushika, T. Matsumoto, N. Yamazaki, H. Kamahori, K. Takahashi, S. Kadokura, K.Wada, K. Kato, R. Oyama, T. Ose, N. Monnoji, and R. Taira, “The JRA-25 reanalysis,” J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, Vol.85, pp. 369-432, 2007.
-  R. W. Reynolds, N. A. Rayner, T. M. Smith, D. C. Stokes, and W. Wang, “An improved in situ and satellite SST analysis for climate,” J. Climate, Vol.15, pp. 1609-1625, 2002.
-  W. C. Skamarock, J. B. Klemp, J. Dudhia, D. O. Gill, D. M. Barker, W. Wang, and J. G. Powers, “A description of the advanced research WRF version 2,” NCAR/TN-468+STR, Vol., pp. 88, 2005.
-  A. G. Laing, S. B. Trier, and C. A. Davis, “Numerical Simulation of Episodes of Organized Convection in Tropical Northern Africa,” Mon. Wea. Rev., Vol.140, pp. 2874-2886, 2012.
-  M. L. C. Wu, O. Reale, S. D. Schubert, M. J. Suarez, and C. D. Thorncroft, “African Easterly Jet: Barotropic instability, waves, and cyclogenesis,” J. Climate, Vol.25, pp. 1489-1510, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.