Radiation and Generation of Short- and Long-Period Ground Motions from the 2011 Off Tohoku, Japan, Mw9.0 Earthquake
*Center for Integrated Disaster Information Research, Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies, The University of Tokyo
**Research Center for Large Scale Earthquake, Tsunami and Disaster, Earthquake Research Institute, The University of Tokyo, 1-1-1 Yayoi, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0032, Japan
-  S. Kinoshita, “Kyoshin Net (K-NET),” Seism. Res. Lett., Vol.69, pp. 309-332, 1998.
-  S. Aoi, T. Kunugi, H. Nakamura, and H. Fujiwara “Deployment of new strong-motion seismographs of K-NET and KiK-net,” in Earthquake Data in Engineering Seismology, pp. 167-186, Springer, 2011.
-  T. Furumura, S. Takemura, S. Noguchi, T. Takemoto, T. Maeda, K. Iwai, and S. Padhy, “Strong ground motions from the 2011 offthe Pacific-coast-of-Tohoku, Japan (Mw = 9.0) earthquake obtained from a dense nation-wide seismic network,” Landslides, Vol.8, pp. 333-338, 2011.
-  I. Takewaki, S. Murakami, K. Fujita, S. Yoshitomi, and M. Tsuji, “The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake and response of high-rise buildings under long-period ground motions,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol.31, No.11, pp. 1511-1528, 2011.
-  T. Furumura, B. L. N. Kennett, and K. Koketsu, “Visualization of 3D wave propagation from the 2000 Tottori-ken Seibu, Japan, earthquake: observation and numerical simulation,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.93, pp. 870-881, 2003.
-  K. Asano and T. Iwata, “Source model for strong ground motion generation in the frequency range 0.1-10 Hz during the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.64, No.12, pp. 1111-1123, 2012.
-  H. Kawabe and K. Kamae, “Source Modeling of the 2011 Off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 75-87, 2013.
-  S. Kurahashi, and K. Irikura, “Short-period source model of the 2011 Mw9.0 Off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.103, No.2B, pp. 1373-1393, 2013.
-  S.-J. Lee, B.-S. Huang, M. Ando, H.-C. Chiu, and J.-H.Wang, “Evidence of large scale repeating slip during the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.38, L19306, 2011.
-  Y. Yokota, K. Koketsu, Y. Fujii, K. Satake, S. Sakai, M. Shinohara, and T. Kanazawa, “Joint inversion of strong motion, teleseismic, geodetic, and tsunami datasets for the rupture process of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol.38, L00G21, 2011.
-  Y. Yoshida, H. Ueno, D. Muto, and S. Aoki, “Source process of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake with the combination of teleseismic and strong motion data,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 565-569, 2011.
-  T. Ito, K. Ozawa, T. Watanabe, and T. Sagiya, “Slip distribution of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake inferred from geodetic data,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, No.7, pp. 627-630, 2011.
-  K. Koketsu, Y. Yokota, N. Nishimura, Y. Yagi, S. Miyazaki, K. Satake, Y. Fujii, H. Miyake, S. Sakai, Y. Yamanaka, and T. Okada, “A unified source model for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake,” Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., Vol.310, Nos.3-4, pp. 480-487, 2011.
-  S. Miyazaki, J. Jeffery, J. McGuire, and P. Segall, “Seismic and aseismic fault slip before and during the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, No.7, pp. 637-642.
-  S. Ozawa, T. Nishimura, H. Suito, T. Kobayashi, M. Tobita, and T. Imakiire, “Coseismic and postseismic slip of the 2011 magnitude-9 Tohoku-Oki earthquake, Nature, Vol.475, pp. 373-376, 2011.
-  Y. Fujii, K. Satake, S. Sakai, M. Shinohara, and T. Kanazawa “Tsunami source of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Earth, Planets and Space, Vol.63, No.7, pp. 815-820, 2011.
-  Y. Hayashi, H. Tsushima, K. Hirata, K. Kimura, and K. Maeda, “Tsunami source area of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake determined from tsunami arrival times at offshore observation stations,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.63, pp. 809-813, 2011.
-  A. R. Gusman, Y. Tanioka, S. Sakai, and H. Tsushima “Source model of the great 2011 Tohoku earthquake estimated from tsunami waveforms and crustal deformation data,” Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., pp. 341-344, pp. 234-244, 2012.
-  H. Si and S. Midorikawa, “New attenuation relationship for peak ground acceleration and velocity considering effects of fault type and site condition,” J. Struct. Constr,. Eng. AIJ 523, pp. 63-70, 1999a (in Japanese).
-  H. Si and S.Midorikawa, “Attenuation relationships of peak ground acceleration and velocity considering effects of fault type and site condition,” in Proc. 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paper No.532, 1999b.
-  T. Takemoto, T. Furumura, T. Saito, T. Maeda, and S. Noguchi, “Spatial- and frequency-dependent properties of site amplification factors in Japan derived by the coda normalization method,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.102, No.4, pp. 1462-1476, 2012.
-  K. Koketsu, K. Hatayama, T. Furumura, Y. Ikegami, and S. Akiyama, “Damaging long-period ground motions from the 2003 Mw8.3 Tokachi-oki, Japan, earthquake,” Seismol. Res. Lett., Vol.76, No.1, pp. 67-73, 2005.
-  K. Hatayama, T. Kanno, and K. Kudo, “Control factors of spatial variation of long-period strong ground motions in the Yufutsu sedimentary basin, Hokkaido, during the Mw8.0 2003 Tokachi-oki, Japan, earthquake,” Bull Seism. Soc Am, Vol.97, pp. 1308-1323, 2007.
-  K. Hatayama, “Lessons from the 2003 Tokachi-oki, Japan, earthquake for prediction of long-period strong ground motions and sloshing damage to oil storage tanks,” J. Seismol, Vol.12, pp. 255-263, 2008.
-  K. Koketsu, H. Miyake, Afnimar, and Y. Tanaka, “A proposal for a standard procedure of modeling 3-D velocity structures and its application to the Tokyo metropolitan area, Japan,” Tectonophysics, Vol.472, pp. 290-300, 2009.
-  T. Furumura and T. Hayakawa, “Anomalous propagation of longperiod ground motions recorded in Tokyo during the 23 October 2004 Niigata-ken Chuetsu (Mw6.6) earthquake, Japan,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., Vol.97, pp. 863-880, 2007.
-  T. Hayakawa, T. Furumura, and Y. Yamanaka, “Simulation of strong ground motions caused by the 2004 off the Kii peninsula earthquakes,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.57, pp. 191-196, 2005.
-  H. Miyake and K. Koketsu, “Long-period ground motions from a large offshore earthquake: The case of the 2004 off the Kii peninsula earthquake, Japan,” Earth Planets Space, Vol.57, pp. 203-207, 2005.
-  T. Furumura, T. Hayakawa, M. Nakamura, K. Koketsu, and T. Baba, “Development of long-period ground motions from the Nankai Trough, Japan, earthquakes: Observations and computer simulation of the 1944 Tonankai (Mw8.1) and the 2004 SE Off-Kii Peninsula (Mw7) Earthquakes,” Pure Appl. Geophys., Vol.165, pp. 585-607, 2008.
-  T. Furumura and M. Nakamura, “Recovering of strong motion record of the 1944 Tonankai earthquake and long period ground motion in Kanto region,” Butsuri-Tansa, Vol.59, No.4, pp. 337-351, 2006.
-  T. Furuzawa, “Group velocities of surface waves from near earthquakes around Japan,” J. Phys. Earth, Vol.24, pp. 131-147, 1976.
-  T. Yamashita and R. Sato, “Correlation of tsunami and sub-oceanic Rayleigh wave amplitudes possibility of the use of Rayleigh wave in tsunami warning system,” J. Phys. Earth, Vol.24, pp. 397-414, 1976.
-  S. Tsuno, H. Yamanaka, S. Midorikawa, S. Yamamoto, H, Miura, S. Sakai, N. Hirata, K. Kasahara, H. Kimura, and T. Aketagawa, “Characteristics of long-period ground motions in the Tokyo metropolitan area and its vicinity, by recording data of the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku earthquake (Mw9.0) and the aftershocks,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 102-116, 2012.
-  T. Yuzawa and H. Nagumo, “Factors of variability and measures for the shakeability of long-period ground motion – Kanto basin as an example –,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 41-59, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.