Local Dialysis Disaster Relief During Two Torrential Downpours on Amami-Ohshima Island
Hiroaki Nishimura*, Ichiro Kagara*, Satoru Inokuchi*,
Hideki Enokida**, Hiroshi Hayami**, and Masayuki Nakagawa*
*Department of Urology, Kagoshima Prefectural Ohshima Hospital, 18-1 Nazemanatsu-cho, Amami City, Kagoshima 894-0015, Japan
**Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima University, 8-35-1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890-8520, Japan
Two torrential downpours hit Amami-Ohshima Island in 2010 and 2011 and affected the administration of chronic dialysis treatments. The 2010 Amami Torrential Downpour in particular created communication and transportation breakdown. The communication blackout, which affected the emergency communication system of the local administrative damage control organization, hindered contact between dialysis centers and patients. The disrupted patient transfer system forced local and national government to take emergency measures and provide rescue services. The 2011 Amami South Area Torrential Downpour caused similar problems. The reallocation of patients and the adaptation of dialysis schedules appeared to solve the transportation problems. The use of a satellite phone was suggested to resolve the communication problem. New psychiatric complications were also identified. Local dialysis disaster relief should be established in advance in disaster-prone areas. Lessons learned from various disasters should translate into better preparedness.
-  R. Vanholder, M. S. Sever, M. De Smet, E. Erek, and N. Lameire, “Intervention of the Renal Disaster Relief Task Force in the 1999 Marmara, Turkey Earthquake,” Kidney Int, Vol.59, pp. 783-791, 2001.
-  M. S. Sever, E. Erek, R. Vanholder, A. Kalkan, N. Guney, N. Usta, C. Yilmaz, C. Kutanis, R. Turgut, and N. Lameire, “Features of chronic hemodialysis practice after theMarmara Earthquake,” J Am Soc Nephrol, Vol.15, pp. 1071-1076, 2004.
-  K. Solez, D. Bihari, A. J. Collins, G. Eknoyan, H. Eliahou, V. D. Fedorov, C. Kjellstrand, N. Lameire, J. Letteri, A. R. Nissenson, E. K. Noji, J. P. Waters, and Y. Yamamoto, “International dialysis aid in earthquakes and other disasters,” Kidney Int, Vol.44, pp. 479-473, 1993.
-  R. Vanholder, A. van der Tol, M. De Smet, E. Hoste, M. Koc, A. Hussain, S. Khan, and M. S. Sever, “Earthquakes and crush syndrome casualties: lessons learned from the Kashmir disaster,” Kidney Int, Vol.71, pp. 17-23, 2007.
-  R. Vanholder, W. Van Biesen, N. Lameire, and M. S. Sever, “International Society of Nephrology/Renal Disaster Relief Task Force. The role of the International Society of Nephrology/Renal Disaster Relief Task Force in the rescue of renal disaster victims,” Contrib Nephrol, Vol.156, pp. 325-332, 2007.
-  R. Vanholder, S. Stuard, M. Bonomini, and M. S. Sever, “Renal disaster relief in Europe: the experience at L’Aquila, Italy, in April 2009,” Nephrol Dial Transplant, Vol.24, pp. 3251-3255, 2009.
-  S. J. Hwang, K. H. Shu, J. D. Lain, and W. C. Yang, “Renal replacement therapy at the time of the Taiwan Chi-Chi Earthquake,” Nephrol Dial Transplant, Vol.16 (Suppl 5), pp. 78-82, 2001.
-  R. Vanholder, D. Borniche, S. Claus, R. Correa-Rotter, R. Crestani, M. C. Ferir, N. Gibney, A. Hurtado, V. A. Luyckx, D. Portilla, S. Rodriguez, M. S. Sever, J. Vanmassenhove, and R. Wainstein, “When the earth trembles in the Americas: the experience of Haiti and Chile 2010,” Nephron Clin Pract, Vol.117, pp. 184-197, 2011.
-  The Japan Times, “Amami deluge leaves two dead,”
http://info.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20101022a7.html [accessed October 22, 2010]
-  The Japan Times, “Rescuers reaching stranded on Amami,”
http://info.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20101023a5.html [accessed October 23, 2010]
-  The Japan Times, “Amami-Oshima island sees record downpour,”
http://info.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20111103a9.html [accessed November 3, 2011]
-  P. Hatamizadeh, I. Najafi, R. Vanholder, F. Rashid-Farokhi, H. Sanadgol, S. Seyrafian, A. Mooraki, S. Atabak, H. Samimagham, V. Pourfarziani, B. Broumand, W. Van Biesen, and N. Lameire, “Epidemiologic aspects of the Bam Earthquake in Iran: the nephrologic perspective,” Am J Kidney Dis, Vol.47, pp. 428-438, 2006.
-  M. A. Kleinpeter, L. D. Norman, and N. K. Krane, “Dialysis services in the hurricane-affected areas in 2005: lessons learned,” Am J Med Sci, Vol.332, pp. 259-263, 2006.
-  A. H. Anderson, A. J. Cohen, N. G. Kutner, J. B. Kopp, P. L. Kimmel, and P. Muntner, “Missed dialysis sessions and hospitalization in hemodialysis patients after Hurricane Katrina,” Kidney Int, Vol.75, pp. 1202-1208, 2009.
-  J. B. Kopp, L. K. Ball, A. Cohen, R. J. Kenney, K. D. Lempert, P. E. Miller, P. Muntner, N. Qureshi, and S. A. Yelton, “Kidney patient care in disasters: lessons from the hurricanes and earthquake of 2005,” Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, Vol.2, pp. 814-824, 2007.
-  R. J. Kenney, “Emergency preparedness concepts for dialysis facilities: reawakened after Hurricane Katrina,” Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, Vol.2, pp. 809-813, 2007.
-  M. Fukagawa, “Nephrology in earthquakes: sharing experiences and information,” Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, Vol.2, pp. 803-808, 2007.
-  K. Kamoi, M. Tanaka, T. Ikarashi, and M. Miyakoshi, “Effect of the 2004 Mid Niigata Prefecture Earthquake on glycemic control in type 1 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Res Clin Pract, Vol.74, pp. 141-147, 2006.
-  H. Naito, “The basic hospital and renal replacement therapy in the Great Hanshin Earthquake,” Ren Fail 1997, Vol.19, pp. 701-710, 1997.
-  M. Sato, S. Fujita, A. Saito, Y. Ikeda, H. Kitazawa, M. Takahashi, J. Ishiguro, M. Okabe, Y. Nakamura, T. Nagai, H. Watanabe, M. Kodama, and Y. Aizawa, “Increased incidence of transient left ventricular apical ballooning (so-called ‘Takotsubo’ cardiomyopathy) after the Mid-Niigata Prefecture Earthquake,” Circ J, Vol.70, pp. 947-953, 2006.
-  A. D. Hyre, A. J. Cohen, N. Kutner, A. B. Alper, and P. Muntner, “Prevalence and predictors of posttraumatic stress disorder among hemodialysis patients following Hurricane Katrina,” Am J Kidney Dis, Vol.50, pp. 585-593, 2007.
-  A. K. Goenjian, D.Walling, A. M. Steinberg, I. Karayan, L.M. Najarian, and R. Pynoos, “A prospective study of posttraumatic stress and depressive reactions among treated and untreated adolescents 5 years after a catastrophic disaster,” Am J Psychiatry, Vol.162, pp. 2302-2308, 2005.