Estimation of the Dynamic Properties and Seismic Response of a Populated Slope in Lima, Peru
Carlos Gonzales*, Shoichi Nakai*, Toru Sekiguchi*,
Diana Calderon**, Zenon Aguilar**, and Fernando Lazares**
*Deparment of Urban Environment Systems, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 268-8522, Japan
**Japan Peru Center for Earthquake Engineering and Disaster Mitigation (CISMID), Faculty of Civil Engineering, National University of Engineering, Av. Túpac Amaru N° 1150, Lima 25, Peru
During the last fifty years, the city of Lima has experienced an immigration process that has led to the urbanization of the Andean foothills surrounding the capital. With the aim of analyzing the dynamic response of these new populated places, a target area in a district called Independencia is chosen. Seven microtremor array measurements are carried out at different points on the flat level and along the slope in order to evaluate the variation in the depth of the bedrock. In addition, a seismometer is installed on the slope with the objective of determining if amplification due to topography exists in the area of study.
-  Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática (INEI), “Perú: Estimaciones y Proyecciones de Población Total por Sexo de las Principales Ciudades, 2000-2015,” Boletín Especial No.23, 2012 (in Spanish).
-  Z. Aguilar, “Seismic Microzonation of Lima,” Japan-Peru Workshop on Earthquake Disaster Mitigation, Japan-Peru Center for Earthquake Engineering and Disaster Mitigation (CISMID), Faculty of Civil Engineering, National University of Engineering, Lima, Peru, 2005.
-  J. Matos “Rural migrations and the urbanization process in Peru,” UNESCO, 1990.
-  C. Contreras, “Barrio Mio buscará disminuir riesgos de 6 distritos,” La Republica, Lima, p. 18, Jan. 18, 2013 (in Spanish).
-  M. Celebi, “Topographical and geological amplifications determined from strong-motion and aftershock records of the 3 March 1985 Chile Earthquake,” Bulletinf of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.77, No.4, pp. 1147-1167, 1987.
-  M. Celebi, “Topographical and geological amplification: case studies and engineering amplifications,” Structural Safety, Vol.10, pp. 199-217, 1991.
-  J. Lopez Soria, A. Ueda, and L. Quiñones, “Historia de la UNI. Volumen IV. Institucionalización como universidad frente a los retos del desarrollo (1955-1984),” Centro de Historia UNI: Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación, Instituto General de Investigación, Editorial Universitaria, Segunda edición, 2012 (in Spanish).
-  Inhabitants of Villa El Carmen, Personal interviews, Sep. 2012.
-  Japan Peru Center for Earthquake Engineering and Disaster Mitigation (CISMID), “Estudio de microzonificacion sismica, Mapas de peligros multiples y analisis de riesgo de Independencia,” Lima, Jun. 2013 (in Spanish).
-  D. Calderon, T. Sekiguchi, S. Nakai, Z. Aguilar, and F. Lazares, “Study of Soil Amplification based on Microtremor and Seismic Records in Lima Peru,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 1-20, 2012.
-  D. Calderon, Z. Aguilar, F. Lazares, T. Sekiguchi, and S. Nakai, “Estimation of Deep-Shear Wave Velocity Profiles in Lima, Peru, Using Seismometers Arrays,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8 No.2, pp. 252-258, Mar. 2013.
-  J. Capon, “High-resolution frequency-wavenumber spectrum analysis,” Proc. IEEE, Vol.57, No.8, pp. 1408-1418, 1969.
-  K. Aki, “Space time spectra of stationary stochastic waves, with special reference to microtremors,” Bulletin of Earthquake Research Institute, Vol.35, pp. 415-456, 1957.
-  I. Cho, T. Tada, and Y. Shinozaki, “Centerless circular array method: Inferring phase velocities of Rayleigh waves in broad wavelength ranges using microtremor records,” J. Geophys. Res., Vol.111, 2006.
-  T. Tada, I. Cho, and Y. Shinozaki, “Beyond the SPAC method: Exploiting the wealth of circular-array methods for microtremor exploration,” Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol.97, pp. 2080-2095, 2007.
-  S. Nakai and H. Nakagawa, “Propagation of Rayleigh waves in a irregular ground,” Sixth International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, Mar. 2009.
-  H. Nakagawa and S. Nakai, “Analysis of surface wave propagation based on the thin layered element method,” The 14th Wrodl Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, Oct. 2008.
-  D. E. Goldberg, “Genetic algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning,” Addison-Wesley Publishing Company Inc., 1989.
-  F. Yamazaki and C. Zavala, “SATREPS Project on Enhancement of Earthquake and Tsunami Disaster Mitigation Technology in Peru,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.8 No.2, pp. 224-234, Mar. 2013.
-  D. Calderon, “Dynamic characteristics of the soils in Lima, Peru, by estimating shallow and deep shear-wave velocity profiles,” Graduate School of Engineering, Chiba University, Japan, 2012.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.