Foreigners’ Evacuation Behavior in the Great East Japan Earthquake: A Case of Iwaki City in Fukushima Prefecture
Md. Faiz Shah* and Osamu Murao**
*Faculty of Engineering, King Abdulaziz University, Abdullah Suleiman Street, Al Jamiaa District 80200, Saudi Arabia
**International Research Institute of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, 2-1-1 Katahira, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
-  National Police Agency Japan,
http://www.npa.go.jp/archive/keibi/biki/index_e.htm [accessed Nov. 22, 2012]
-  M. Henry, A. Kawasaki, and K. Meguro, “Foreigners’ Disaster Information Gathering Behavior after the Tohoku Earthquake Part 3: Analysis of Foreign Students considering their Post-Disaster Action,” Seisan-Kenkyu, University of Tokyo, Vol.64, No.4, pp. 445-451, 2012.
-  P. Sultan, T. Anisimova, and F. Shah, “Communications for Disaster Preparedness: A case Study on four Survivors from the Great Northeast Japan Earthquake and Tsunami,” International Winter Conference on Business & Economic Research (APUGSM), Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Beppu, Japan, Jan. 18-19, 2013.
-  M. Henry, A. Kawasaki, and K. Meguro, “Disaster Information Gathering Behavior After the Tohoku Earthquake Part 2: Results of Foreign Respondents,” Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on New Technologies for Urban Safety of Mega Cities in Asia (CD-ROM), Chiangmai, Thailand, 2011.
-  M. Perez-Lugo, “Media Uses in Disaster Situations: A New Focus on the Impact Phase,” Sociological Inquiry, Vol.74, No.2, pp. 210-225, 2004.
-  H. Y. Lu, D. O. Case, M. L. A. Lustria, N. Kwon, J. E. Andrews, M. A. Cavendish, and B. R. Floyd, “Predictors of Online Information Seeking by International Students when Disaster Strikes their Countries,” CyberPsychology and Behavior, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 709-712, 2007.
-  L. Palen, “Online Social Media in Crisis Events,” Educause Quarterly, 3, pp. 76-78, 2008.
-  N.-Y. Yun and M. Hamada, “Evacuations Behaviors in the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No. Sp., 2012.
-  A. Koresawa, “Government’s Response to the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.Sp., 2012.
-  T. Ozaki, “JMA’s Warning for the 2011 Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami Warning Improvement Plan,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.7, No.Sp., 2012.
-  M. Henry, A. Kawasaki, and K. Meguro, “Foreigners’ Post-Disaster Relocation or Evacuation from Japan and their Disaster Information Gathering Behavior after the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake,” Proceedings of Institute of Social Safety Safety Science (ISSS), Japan, 18, pp. 373-380, 2011.
-  M. F. Shah and O. Murao, “Foreigners’ Experience and Behavior in the Great East Japan Disasters 2011,” Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering (CDROM), Tokyo, Japan, 2013.
-  Iwaki City, “Documentary Record of Iwaki City,” (Cat) Public Relations Division and Project Team, Department of Administrative Management, Iwaki City, March, 2012.
-  CAO (Cabinet Office), Government of Japan, 2007, Disaster Management in Japan.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.