Modeling of the Subsurface Structure from the Seismic Bedrock to the Ground Surface for a Broadband Strong Motion Evaluation
Shigeki Senna*, Takahiro Maeda*, Yoshiaki Inagaki**,
Haruhiko Suzuki**, Hisanori Matsuyama**, and Hiroyuki Fujiwara*
*National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, 3-1 Tennodai,Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0006, Japan
**OYO Corporation, 43 Miyukigaoka, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0841, Japan
Sophisticated predictions of strong ground motion are vital when constructing structure models that enable us to evaluate broadband ground motion features. Such models should integrate subsurface structure models for strata shallower than engineering bedrock and deep structuremodels for strata even deeper. Both such models used to be separately modeled separately so that observation data could be reproduced. In this study, we have created a subsurface structure model applicable from seismic bedrock to ground surface for individual Japanese individual prefectures, e.g., Chiba and Ibaragi, in attempts to sophisticate subsurface structure models. This paper describes how we created these models and reviews our results.
Haruhiko Suzuki, Hisanori Matsuyama, and Hiroyuki Fujiwara, “Modeling of the Subsurface Structure from the Seismic Bedrock to the Ground Surface for a Broadband Strong Motion Evaluation,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.5, pp. 889-903, 2013.
-  H. Miyake, K. Koketsu, T. Furumura, Y. Inagaki, T.Masuda, S. Midorikawa, “Integration of the shallow subsurface-structure model for strong ground motion prediction in the Tokyo metropolitan area,” Proceedings of the 12th Japan Earthquake Engineering Symposium, pp. 214-217, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  H. Fujiwara, S. Kawai, S. Aoi, N. Morikawa, S. Senna, N. Kudo, M. Ooi, K. X.-S. Hao, Y. Hayakawa, N. Toyama, N. Matsuyama, K. Iwamoto, H. Suzuki, and R. Ei, “A Study on Subsurface Structure Model for Deep Sedimentary layers of Japan for Strong-motion Evaluation,” Technical Note of the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, No.337, November 2009 (in Japanese).
-  S. Senna, T.Maeda, Y. Inagaki, H. Suzuki, K. Jin, K. Miyamato, H. Matsuyama, N. Morikawa, S. Kawai, and H. Fujiwara, “Modeling of the Subsurface Structure from the Seismic Bedrock to the Ground Surface for a Broadband Strong Motion Evaluation in Chiba and Ibaraki Prefecture,” Technical Note of the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, No.370, March 2013 (in Japanese).
-  S. Senna, Y. Inagaki, H. Matsuyama, and H. Fujiwara, “Examination of Integrated Velocity Model of Shallow and Deep Structure in Fujisawa City in Japan,” 15th WCEE, 2012, Lisbon, paper No.2861.
-  S. Senna, N. Kudo, H. Fujiwara, “Velocity Structure Model for Tsukuba Area in Japan, Estimated from a Geological Model and H/V Spectral Ratio of Microtremors,” 14th WCEE, 2008, Beijin, paper No.07-0054.
-  M. Ooi, S. Kawai, and H. Fujiwara, “Development of Integrated Geophysical and Geological Information Databases for Earthquake Disaster Prevention,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 1-16, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  S. Senna, S. Adachi, T. Araki, K. Iisawa, and H. Fujiwara, “Development of microtremor survey observation system,” Proceeding of the SEGJ Conference, 116, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  S. Senna and H. Fujiwara, “Development of Analyzing Tools for Microtremor Survey Observation Data, Vol.1 – Tools for Analysis of Microtremor Data –,” Technical Note of the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention, No.313, March 2008 (in Japanese).
-  H. Arai and K. Tokimatsu, “S-wave velocity profiling by joint inversion of microtremor dispersion curve and horizontal-to-vertical spectrum,” Bull. Seis. Soc. Am., Vol.95, pp. 1766-1778, 2005.
-  H. Suzuki and H. Yamanaka, “Joint inversion using earthquake ground motion records and microtremor survey data to S-wave profile of deep sedimentary layers,” Geophysical exploration, Vol.63, No.3, pp. 215-227, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  G. Kobayashi, Y. Mamada, and H. Tsutsumi, “Consideration on frequency dependences of near-surface attenuation of S-waves based on vertical array records,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 1-16, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  S Kataoka, T Sato, S Matsumoto, and T Matsumoto, “Attenuation Relationships of Ground Motion Intencity Using Short Period Level as a Variable,” Journal of JSCE, A62, No.4, pp. 740-757, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamanaka and H. Ishida, “Phase Velocity Inversion Using Generic Algorithms,” Journal of Asian Architecture and Building Engineering, Vol.468, pp. 9-17, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Fukushima, “Survey of Recent Studies on Attenuation Relation of Strong Ground Motion (Empirical Prediction Relation),” Jishin Vol.2, No.46, pp. 315-328, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yamanaka, M. Ohori, and S. Midorikawa, “21024 Estimation of seamless Vs structure for Kanto basin using site amplification from spectral inversion of earthquake motion records,” Summaries of technical papers of annual meeting Architectural Institute of Japan, B-2, StructuireII, pp. 47-48, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kawase, and H. Matsuo, “K-NET, KiK-net, Separation of Source, Path, and Site Effects based on the Observed Data by KNET, KiK-net, and JMA Strong Motion Network,” Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 33-52, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kinoshita and M. Ohike, “Scaling relations of earthquakes that occurred in the upper part of Philippine sea plate beneath the Kanto region, Japan, estimated by means of borehole records,” Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. Vol.92, pp. 611-624, 2002.
-  T. Sato, Y. Tatsumi, “Source, Path, and Site Effects For Cructal and Subduction Earthquakes Inferred from Strong Motion Records in Japan,” Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering, Vol.556, pp. 15-24, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  A. Nozu, and T. Nagao, “Site Amplification Factor for Strong-Motion Sites in Japan based on Spectral inversion Tecnique,” Technical note of the port and airport reserch institute, No.1112, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  T. Kenichi, K. Koketsu, Y. Hisada, and T. Hayakawa, “Inversion analysis of site response in the Kanto basin using data from a dense strong motion seismograph array,” Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am. Vol.100, pp. 1276-1287, 2010.
-  H. Sato, M. Kanatani, and Y. Ohtori, “Identification of Damping Factor Considering ITS Lower Limit by Spectral Ratio Inversion – Application to borehole array records at hard rock sites and evaluation of attenuation characteristics –,” Journal of AsianArchitecture and Building Engineering, Vol.604, pp. 55-62, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  S. Aoi, and H. Fujiwara, “3-D finite-difference method using discontinuous grids,” Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., Vol.89, pp. 918-930, 1999.
-  M. Matsuoka, K. Wakamatsu, K. Fujimoto, and S. Midorikawa, “Estimation of Average Ground S-Wave Velocity using Japan Geology and Ground Classification Map,” Collection of papers of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, No.794/I-72, pp. 239-251, 2005 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.