Damages to Shore Protection Facilities Induced by the Great East Japan Earthquake Tsunami
Fuminori Kato, Yoshio Suwa, Kunihiro Watanabe,
and Satoshi Hatogai
National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Asahi 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0804, Japan
After clarifying high-speed flow, pressure change, and scouring using model experiments when tsunamis overflow coastal dikes, the damage to coastal dikes caused during the Great East Japan Earthquake is summarized and the mechanism of categorized damage patterns of coastal dikes is discussed. Multiple logistic regression analysis is performed using external force acting affecting damaged coastal dikes and structure specifications, and overflow depth and armor width of landward toes are extracted as elements influencing such damage. Based on these results, structure innovation that persistently exerts effects during tsunami overflow is clarified for coastal dikes.
and Satoshi Hatogai, “Damages to Shore Protection Facilities Induced by the Great East Japan Earthquake Tsunami,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.8, No.4, pp. 612-625, 2013.
-  Committee for Technical Investigation on Countermeasures for Earthquakes andTsunamis Based on the Lessons Learned from the “2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Report of the Committee for Technical Investigation on Countermeasures for Earthquakes andTsunamis Based on the Lessons Learned from the “2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” 2011.
-  T. Ogasawara, Y. Matsubayashi, and S. Sakai, “Characteristic of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami and its impact on the northern Iwate coast,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 12500003 (16 pages), 2012.
-  A. Suppasri, S. Koshimura, K. Imai, E. Mas, H. Gokon, A. Muhari, and F. Imamura, “Damage characteristic and field survey of the 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 12500005 (30 pages) , 2012.
-  H. Tanaka, N. Xuan Tinh, M. Umeda, R. Hirao, E. Pradjoko, A. Mano, and K. Udo, “Coastal and estuaries morphology changes induced by the 2011 Great East Japan Earhquake Tsunami,” Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol.54, No.1, 12500010 (25 pages), 2012.
-  A. Mano, H. Tanaka, and K. Udo, “Destruction mechanism of coastal levees on the Sendai Bay Coast hit by the 2011 Tsunami,” Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Coastal Engineering, management.14, 2012,
http://journals.tdl.org/icce/index.php/icce/article/view/6615 [accessed May 8, 2013]
-  S. Sato, H. Liu, S. Takewaka, H. Nobuoka, and S. Aoki, “Tsunami damages of Nakoso Coast due to the 2011 Tohoku Tsunami,” Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Coastal Engineering, currents.2, 2012,
http://journals.tdl.org/icce/index.php/icce/article/view/6483 [accessed May 8, 2013]
-  F. Kato, Y. Suwa, K. Watanabe, and S. Hatogai, “Mechanisms of coastal dike failure induced by the Great East Japan Earthquake Tsunami,” Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Coastal Engineering, structures.40, 2012,
http://journals.tdl.org/icce/index.php/icce/article/view/6596 [accessed May 8, 2013]
-  H. Yeh, S. Sato, and Y. Tajima, “The 11 March 2011 East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami: Tsunami Effects on Coastal Infrastructure and Buildings,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, DOI 10.1007/s00024-012-0489-1, 2012.
-  K. Noguchi, S. Sato, and S. Tanaka, “Large-scale experiments on tsunami overtopping and bed scour around coastal revetment,” Proceedings of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.44, pp. 296-300, 1997 (in Japanese).
-  K.Watanabe, Y. Suwa, F. Kato, and K. Fujita, “Analysis of the damage to coastal dikes by the tsunami that occurred following the 2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku Earthquake,” Journal of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering), Vol.68, No.2, pp. I_356-I_360, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group, Survey Results of tsunami marks,
http://www.coastal.jp/ttjt/ [accessed Aug. 26, 2011]
-  The Committee on Tsunami Measures on coasts, “Basic concepts for recovery of coastal dike and the like damaged by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami,” 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.