Psychological Challenges Among Older Adults Following the Christchurch Earthquakes
Michael Annear, Tim Wilkinson, and Sally Keeling
Department of Medicine, University of Otago, 95 Cashmere Road, Christchurch 8022, New Zealand
This article highlights immediate psychological challenges faced by older adults in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, following an atypical sequence of earthquakes. Data are derived from a study of active ageing that coincided with the disasters. Participants included 355 community dwelling older adults who completed surveys, and a subgroup of 67 of these individuals who used activity diaries in the weeks following two major earthquakes.
-  GNS Science, The Christchurch earthquakes,
http://www.gns.cri.nz [accessed July 2011]
-  L. Brown, “Issues in mental health care for older adults after disasters,” Generations, Vol.31, pp. 21-26, 2007.
-  J. Phifer, “Psychological distress and somatic symptoms after natural disaster: differential vulnerability among older adults,” Psychol Aging, Vol.5, pp. 412-420, 1990.
-  S. Suzuki, A. Tsutsumi, M. Fukasawa, H. Honma, T. Someya, and Y. Kim, “Prevalence of mental disorders and suicidal thoughts among community dwelling elderly adults 3 years after the Niigata-Chuetsu earthquake,” J. Epidemiol, Vol.21, pp. 144-150, 2011.
-  I. Yazgan, C. Dedeoglu C, and Y. Yazgan, “Disability and posttraumatic psychopathology in Turkish elderly after a major earthquake,” Int. Psychogeriatr., Vol.18, pp. 184-187, 2006.
-  H. Kato, N. Asukai, Y. Miyake, K. Minakawa, and A. Nishiyama, “Post-traumatic symptoms among younger and elderly evacuees in the early stages following the 1995 Hanshin Awaji earthquake in Japan,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Vol.93, pp. 477-481, 1996.
-  B. Knight, M. Gatz, K. Heller, and V. Bengston, “Age and emotional response to the Northridge earthquake: a longitudinal analysis,” Psychology and Ageing, Vol.15, pp. 627-634, 2000.
-  E. Salcioglu, M. Basoglu, and M. Livanou, “Long-term psychological outcome for non-treatment-seeking earthquake survivors in Turkey,” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol.191, pp. 154-160, 2003.
-  C. Seplaki, N. Goldman, M. Weinstein, and Y. Lin, “Before and after the 1999 Chi-Chi earthquake: Traumatic events and depressive symptoms in an older population,” Social Science and Medicine, Vol.62, pp. 3121-3132, 2006.
-  S. Toyabe, T. Shioiri, H. Kuwabara, T. Endoh, N. Tanabe, T. Someya, et al., “Impaired psychological recovery in the elderly after the Niigata-Chuetsu earthquake in Japan: a population-based study,” BMC Public Health, Vol.6, pp. 230-239, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.