Japan-Egypt Hydro Network: Science and Technology Collaborative Research for Flash Flood Management
Tetsuya Sumi*, Mohamed Saber**, and Sameh Ahmad Kantoush***
*Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Gokasho, Uji-Shi, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan
**Geology Department, Faculty of Science, Assiut University, Assiut 71516, Egypt
***Civil Engineering Department, German University in Cairo (GUC), New Cairo City – Main Entrance of Al Tagamoa Al Khames, Egypt
-  J. Cools, P. Vanderkimpen, G. El Afandi, A. Abdelkhalek, S. Fockedey, M. El Sammany, G. Abdallah, M. El Bihery, W. Bauwens and M. Huygens, “An early warning system for flash floods in hyper-arid Egypt,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.12, pp. 443-457, 2012.
-  H. Gheith and M. Sultan, “Construction of a hydrologic model for estimating Wadi runoff and groundwater recharge in the Eastern Desert,” Egypt, J. of Hydrology, Vol.263, pp. 36-55, 2002.
-  J. D.Michaud and S. Sorooshian, “Effect of rainfall-sampling errors on simulations of desert flash floods,” Water Ressour. Res., Vol.30, pp. 2765-2775, 1994.
-  M. Sangati, M. Borga, D. Rabuffetti, and R. Bechini, “Influence of rainfall and soil properties spatial aggregation on extreme flash flood response modelling: an evaluation based on the Sesia river basin, North Western Italy,” Adv. Water Resour., Vol.32, No.7, pp. 1090-1106, 2009.
-  L. Bonnifait, G. Delrieu, M. Le Lay, B. Boudevillain, A. Masson, P. Belleudy, E. Gaume, and G. M. Saulnier, “Distributed hydrologic and hydraulic modelling with radar rainfall input: reconstruction of the 8-9 September 2002 catastrophic flood event in the Gard region, France,” Adv. Water Resour., Vol.32, No.7, pp. 1077-1089, 2009.
-  G. Bloschl, C. Reszler, and J. Komma, “A spatially distributed flash flood forecasting model,” Environ. Modell. & Softw., Vol.23, pp. 464-478, 2008.
-  S. Reed, J. Schaake, and Z. Zhang, “A distributed hydrologic model and threshold frequency-based method for flash flood forecasting at ungauged locations,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.337, Nos.3-4, pp. 402-420, 2007.
-  P. Bohorquez and S. E. Darby, “The use of one- and twodimensional hydraulic modelling to reconstruct a glacial outburst flood in a steep Alpine valley,” J. of Hydrology, Vol.361, Nos.3-4, pp. 240-261, 2008.
-  T. Kojiri, Y. Kinai, and J. H. Park, “Integrated river basin environment assessment on water quantity and quality by considering utilization processes,” In: Proceedings of the International Conference onWater Resources and Environment Research, pp. 397-401, 2002.
-  T. Kojiri, A. Tokai, and Y. Kinai, “Assessment of river basin environment through simulation with water quality and quantity,” Annuals of DPRI, Kyoto Univ., Vol.41, pp. 119-134, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  M. Saber, T. Hamagutchi, T. Kojiri, and K. Tanaka, “Hydrological modeling of distributed runoff throughout comparative study between some Arabian wadi basins,” Annual J. of Hydraulic Eng., JSCE, Vol.54, pp. 85-90, 2010.
-  M. Saber, “Hydrological approaches of Wadi system considering flash floods in arid regions,” Ph.D. thesis, Kyoto University, 2010.
-  GSMaP, http://sharaku.eorc.jaxa.jp/GSMaP crest/ [accessed October 10, 2012]
-  GPCC, http://gpcc.dwd.de [accessed October 10, 2012]
-  Soil Conservation Service (SCS), “National Engineering Handbook, section 4: hydrology,” US Dept. of Agriculture, SCS, Engineering Division, Washington, DC., 1985.
-  M. O.Walters, “Transmission losses in arid region,” J. of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol.116, No.1, pp. 127-138, 1990.
-  S. H. Shawki, “Impact of flash floods on the hydrogeological aquifer system at delta Wadi El-Arish, Sinai,” 5th Int. Water tech. conf., IWTC-15, Alex., Egypt, 2011.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.