Survey on the Disaster Preparedness and Business Continuity of Companies in the Great East Japan Earthquake – Improving the Business Value by the Information Sharing and Disclosure of BCPs –
Yoshiki Hiruma* and Kentaro Noda**
*Development Bank of Japan Inc., 1-9-1 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan
**Japan Economic Research Institute Inc., 2-2-1 Outemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan
This survey, based on a survey conducted by the Development Bank of Japan (DBJ), examines the effectiveness of existing disaster preparedness and business continuity efforts. In this paper, we want to point out the following points to present approaches for improving business continuity capability. First, it is necessary for businesses to share business continuity planning (BCP) information in-house, to expand this function in the future, and to create a mechanism for sharing information within the supply chain and industry groups. Second, the key is in improving business continuity capability for the three elements of: formulating BCP (soft countermeasures), improving response by sharing strategy and strengthening against earthquakes, and implementing hard countermeasures by developing a backup system. Third, it is important to incorporate elements of BCP into core business undertakings in order to ensure that business continuity efforts go beyond temporary measures alone (sustainable BCP).
-  Aarata Institute, “A Collection of Research Papers by the Corporate Business Continuity Research Association,” 2010.
-  Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry survey, “Emergency Survey on the Actual Status of Industries after the Great East Japan Earthquake,” April 2011.
-  T. Kagaya, “The Roles of Corporate Governance and Disclosure in Promoting BCM,” taken from “A Collection of Research Papers by the Corporate Business Continuity Research Association,” pp. 68-85, 2010.
-  Mid-term Report for the Industrial Competitiveness Committee, Industrial Structure Council, June 2011.
-  K. Watanabe, “Spread through Japan and Overseas via the Damage Supply Chain of Corporations in Affected Areas and a Future Roadmap to Reconstruction,” 13 April 2011.
-  K. Noda, “Research on the Characteristics of Corporations that Disclose their Business Continuity Plans (BCP),” Investor Relations, No.5, pp. 3-23, 2011.
-  Y. Hiruma, S. Kondo, and K. Meguro, “Assessments from Information Management in Organizations’ Disaster Response Operations,” taken from “Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering Digest 2007,” pp. 378-379, 2007.
-  Business Continuity Advancement Organization (BCAO) Assembly materials, 30 May 2011.
-  Materials of Chairperson Hiroaki Maruya from a Business Continuity Advancement Organization (BCAO) Opinion Exchange, 9 June 2011.
-  Materials of Chairperson Hiroaki Maruya and Vice Chairperson Tomohisa Sashida from a Business Continuity Advancement Organization (BCAO) Seminar, 29 June 2011.
-  Development Bank of Japan,“Survey on the Disaster Preparedness and Business Continuity of Companies in the Great East Japan Earthquake – Accumulating sustainable BCPs in working towards reconstruction that boosts competitiveness –,” July 2011.